Main Forums > The Roundtable

Older Ford Pickups

(1/3) > >>

grislyatoms:
I have had 2:

'77 F100 with a 302 / 3 speed on the column / 2wd

'79 F150 XLT Lariat with a 400 / auto / 2wd (showroom condition, oil cooler, tranny cooler, trailer brake, dual tanks) (I still weep over getting rid of this one)

And just got

'88 F150 300ci inline 6 / 5 speed (granny 1st gear) / 4wd

Any weak areas on the '88 that anyone can tell me about? I have heard about the reliability of the Ford inline 6, any widespread / known problems with the '88 and later EFI ones?

Transfer case, axles, driveshafts, etc. all seem to be in pretty good shape. One spot of rust on a front quarter panel.

Anything to watch out for?

Guest:
nothing worth mentioning.  the 300-6cly thinks its a volvo motor,  you should have no problem getting 250-300k out of it.  keep up on maitance and she'll serve you well

Brad Johnson:
+1. The only problem you might run into is u-joints. Some of the "permanently lubricated" sealed units were bad about getting dry and failing, especially if they were run hard. U-joints are an easy, relatively cheap fix so it's no big deal of you know how to change 'em yourself.

Brad

mfree:
well, there's... *boggle* can't think of anything.

I recently just gave away a '69 F100 with 15/16 of a 360 V8, three on the tree, manual drums, manual steering, and most of a longbed. If it weren't for the hellish rust, I'd probably still have it, but my cousin wanted the rear end and transmission and I wanted it gone. Title showed 600,000 miles when I got it

grampster:
I had a couple two, tree Fords.  One notable one was a yellow 76 with a little V8, auto, 2wd, owned by the City of Dearborn that I picked up for $600.00 in the late '80's.

Sombody had painted over the City logo with yellow paint.  When I got it home, my neighbor walked around it and then asked, "how much of that truck flaps."  I had to put a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood in the bed, cut some more plywood for the floor boards and tie a bit of rope around the hood.  I drove that truck for 4 years before I sold it to a guy that cut the bed off it and turned it into a trailer.  

I figgered out how to take the wander out of the front end of old Ford trucks.  You buy two re-tread snow tires (they are flat to the ground) and put them on the front.
Voila, no more wander.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version