Main Forums > The Roundtable

Ever start your own business?

(1/2) > >>

Smith:
I'm thiking of starting a cigar shop wtih a smoking lounge but I have no idea where to start with market studies, how to rent, where to rent, how to get dealer or wholesale pricing on all the accessories, or how to devise a business strategy.  How do I do this?

Waitone:
Google is your friend.  First step.  Lots of info available in the web but at some point you'll have to start talking to real live humans.  What humans?  As a start go to another market in which you would not be competing and befriend a cigar shop owner.  One visit won't do it.  It will take time.  Everyone likes to talk when someone expresses interest in what they are obviously proud of.  Spend time talking to people already in the bidness.

Another human to talk to is cigar company reps.  Might even find out they have programs to encourage development of new outlets.

Third suggestion is to look for franchises opportunities.   If its a good company they do the marketing and you do the operations work.

One factor to remember.  All storefront businesses are challenged by internet sales.  IMNSHO cigars are quite likely to be challenged by internet operations.  Black Cat Cigars is in downtown Philly but have managed to develope an extensive internet operation http://www.blackcatcigars.com/ .  Another operation that combines storefront and internet is JR Cigars.  http://www.jrcigars.com/  In both cases they supplement foot traffic with internet sales.

Good luck.

One other thought.  Software exists to help you step through a business plan.  A business plan will not guarantee you success.  What a business plan does is force you to ask the questions necessary to have a chance to get a business up and running.  A large percentage of a BP is nonsensical BS but the very act of asking then answering the questions is of value.

280plus:

--- Quote ---In both cases they supplement foot traffic with internet sales.I'd say the combination of both would be the best way to go. Also, seeing how's I'm an HVAC guy, let me tell you from experience, when you design your walk in humidor spend the extra money and do the humidification system correctly. I've seen too many try to do it the cheap way and have nothing but problems and lost / damaged cigar stock. There are companies that will design the humidor for you. Check a few of them out.

Be prepared to not make much after the bills the first few years.

Smith:
Thanks for the responses so far.  I think that I'm in one of the few areas where a true brick and mortar cigar store would still work, even though JR is about an hour away.  I'll do some of the research on programs as you guys suggested.

garrettwc:
Check the local city council/legislature to see what's brewing. A lot of cities are jumping on the anti smoking bandwagon. Make sure there are no current or pending ordinances that would put you out of business.

Pick up some research material like "Cigar Afficianado" magazine and do some reading. Check out the websites of all their advertisers. Knowledge is your friend. Lack thereof can cost you much $$$$.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version