Main Forums > The Roundtable

Air Compressor help

(1/3) > >>

mtnbkr:
I recently picked up this air compressor at wal-mart for $22 (unadvertised sale, normally $80): http://www.toolsdirect.com/presentationpage1.cfm?pagename=productdisplay&manufacturer=Campbell%20Hausfeld&productid=FP2052&finish=NA

I knew going in that it wasn't designed for air tools other than low volume tools like grease guns, brad nailers, and small paint pens (great for inflation needs, my main need).  Anyway, I wonder if I can daisy chain this to my 10gal air tank and use it for limited air tool use.  I'd like to be able to run an impact wrench for a few seconds at a time (breaking nuts, etc) or using a standard paint gun to paint a few square feet, etc.

Will this work?  The compressor itself will deliver 1.4SCFM@90psi.  The extra tank I have is rated to 125psi.  

Chris

K Frame:
I can't see how it will work, Chris, unless you can get the air donkey to dump a lot of air in a very short period of time, and that's partly a function of outlet size...

The air donkey isn't designed to supply large volumns of air in short periods of time as a large compressor is.

cfabe:
You can run an air tool on that compressor, just won't be able to run it for very long. Daisy-chaining another tank will help somewhat, but you're still limited by the slow recharge rate. If you take the plastic cover off you should be able to remove the coily plastic hose and attach a normal 1/4" or preferably 3/8" air hose.

280plus:
Yup, it'll extend your run time but also your recharge time. The only way to know for sure how much is to try it. I suspect it will put excessive wear and tear on the compressor though. It'll be running a lot.

mtnbkr:

--- Quote ---I can't see how it will work, Chris, unless you can get the air donkey to dump a lot of air in a very short period of time, and that's partly a function of outlet size...
The air donkey isn't designed to supply large volumns of air in short periods of time as a large compressor is.That's part of my question, I don't know if the tools I'd be interested in really constitute a large volume use.  Besides, I'm not trying to run them for minutes at a time, just short bursts to break nuts loose, etc.  

--- Quote ---If you take the plastic cover off you should be able to remove the coily plastic hose and attach a normal 1/4" or preferably 3/8" air hose.Actually, the connector is exposed and of a standard thread.  That's what made me think of daisy chaining to my larger tank.  I can run a sturdy line from it's output to the input on the other tank and run my tools, etc from the output of the 10gal tank.

Are there any calculations that I could use to determine what I can run and for how long?

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version