Author Topic: Computer shopping  (Read 4823 times)

Bigjake

• friend
Computer shopping
« on: December 04, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »
My old desktop isn't worth fixing, and I'm in the market for something new and shiny.  Could some of you computer literate guys point me in the right direction for a new one?

I want something capable of moderate gaming that's got growing room for upgrades.I've got a new 750 watt power supply and a  GeForce 8800 GT on hand from last winters upgrade, if that helps.  and 4 gigs of DDR2

What do I need? 

Pricewatch shows AMDs, core 2 dous, core 2 quads, Core i5s.... And I don't have the slightest idea which one of these to start with. 

Cost isn't a huge concern, but whatever I buy has to last a few years .

???

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Computer shopping
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:51:02 PM »
Whatever you do, get Windows Vista.  XP is totally out-dated, of course, and everybody hates that new Win7 thing. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »
Whatever you do, get Windows Vista.  XP is totally out-dated, of course, and everybody hates that new Win7 thing. 

THat ain't what I'm hearing. Even Dell is now offering some business class computers with Windows 7 on media and XP installed -- skipping right over Vista. Vista seems to be universally loathed. (And, IMHO, with good reason, although I'm neither an IT person nor a geek.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:18:43 PM »
Hawkmoon, Fistful was being tongue-in-cheek.  I even picked up on it, and I ain't the brightest bulb in the display...   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »
Tigerdirect has some interesting kits.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »
Vista is HORRIBLE.  My mom as well as quite a few of my friends ended up with it when they bought new computers and they are extremely sorry.  I got a brand new computer 2 months ago and made quite sure it had Windows XP and I love it.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 11:12:15 PM »
IIRC Microsoft has a program whereby one can purchase a downgrade to XP from Vista.  Not much of a vote of confidence, is it?

I second TigerDirect.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 11:22:52 PM »
IIRC Microsoft has a program whereby one can purchase a downgrade to XP from Vista.  Not much of a vote of confidence, is it?

I second TigerDirect.

It's funny. I really like Windows 7. I have had it since the beta. But I have already seen Micro Center showing new computers with Windows 7 and a downgrade to XP.

I've been out of the business side for a couple years so that may be something done for small businesses that only want to deal with one operating system.

I had three versions of windows running at the last company I worked for. It didn't matter. Someone in the office could screw up any one of them.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 01:08:06 AM »
Win7 or XP will both work for gaming.  Buying Vista for your purposes is crazy, because Win7 has noticeably better gaming performance.  Keep in mind that if you use 32-bit xp or win7, you'll be limited to 4GB of ram usable by the OS.  If you want the option of adding more in the future, you'll need a 64-bit windows OS.

Since you already have some ddr2 memory and you're going to use it for gaming, I'd suggest a core2 quad like the q9550.  i5/i7 motherboards are more expensive, and use more expensive ddr3 ram (which you don't already have).  On the other hand, if you're going to do a fair amount of virtualization and want it to be as fast as possible, the on-chip memory controller of i5/i7 nehalem chips (or AMD chips, which have had on-chip mem controllers for a while now) is worth it.

q9550
LGA 775 motherboard supporting ddr2
4gb-8gb ddr2 ram
2x 1TB hdd (raid-1 mirror), optional wd 10krpm raptor to install games onto if you want them to load faster.
radeon 57xx-58xx or nvidia gtx 2xx
win7 home or pro x64 (pro if you want winxp mode virtualization for old apps)
sata cdrom drive if you want to get rid of pata drives completely
dual 24" LCDs perhaps :)

or-
i7-920
LGA 1366 board
6gb ddr3 ram
same drives/video/OS/cdrom

newegg and tigerdirect are good shops.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

zombienerd

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 05:22:45 AM »
Anyone who can't get Vista to run just a beautifully as XP doesn't need to be building their own computer.

Vista is a great operating system once it's tweaked... It's just not so great "out of the box"  I'd compare it to a 1911.  You spend too much on it, then it needs a good Fluff and buff, and it will last you forever with no problems :D

Haven't tried Windows 7 yet, but from what I understand it's "Vista Lite"  They removed all the crap that was useless, and added a few new toys, making it faster.  Every Vista machine I've touched has gotten the same treatment for free.

Get yourself a custom rig from Cyberpower PC or Ibuypower...  As long as you can put up with waiting a few weeks for them to come in, they're pretty well built, and you can "usually" get them to fix it if it's under warranty...  (Better than some Dell service centers)   I've had friends buy from both of them and have been happy.

If you're good enough to build your own, Processor choice is just that, personal choice, I prefer AMD, but you may like Intel.  Look at Number of cores, core speed, and cache.

A Quad core at 2.2ghz blows away a Dual core at 2.8 
More L1 and L2 cache is a good thing.

If "money is no object" and you like AMD, go with AMD Phenom II X4 Processor 965 (3.4GHz), they can be found under $200 if you look hard enough.
If "money is no object" and you're an Intel fan... Well, the I7 is new, and pretty damn flashy, as well as expensive.  Intel Core I7 975, you're looking at near $1000 just for the CPU:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4777383&Sku=I69-0975&SRCCODE=PWATCH&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCVybgwczfgtCjCVqHCjCdwwp

Personally, My current machine is an AMD Phenom Quad Core 9600, with 4gb of DDR2 and a ATI Radeon 4670 (512 ddr4) and there hasn't been a game or program it won't run with moderate settings, and I expect that with a new video card next year, she'll last me another 2 years easilly.  I spent less than $600 to build it about a year ago.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 08:05:56 AM »
Big Jake,

Sorry to mis-direct the thread into the OS debate.   =(  I thought it would be a harmless joke.  7 and XP are both excellent OS's, as far as I can tell.  Haven't messed with Vista, so I really don't know about that. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 08:17:04 AM »
my main concerns would be finding something with the expansion slots for what you already have. I'd find a reasonably good computer with good processor at a decent price and do the upgrades at home. IF for even moderate gaming I'd go with something at least 2 cores, even better would be four. Even at the same speed the quad core is going to be coasting along much easier then the dual core. AMD or Intel doesn't really matter IMO as both are good.

Brand wise I've had better luck with HP/Compaq then anything else off the shelf. Many have good experiences with dell but I can't stand them. Worst desktop I ever owned and they refused to honor the warranty stating it was a software problem, yet they couldn't identify what software problem and wanted me to crack open the case and start pushing on cards and such to see if any were loose. That's a software problem? And my fiancees Dell laptop is a much bigger POS then my old HP laptop with a few glitches here and there ever was.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 05:50:09 PM »
Hawkmoon, Fistful was being tongue-in-cheek.  I even picked up on it, and I ain't the brightest bulb in the display...   ;)

Oh.

Never mind.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »
I just assembled a desktop for a friend in Missouri. It's not the absolute top of the line, but I like it so well that I will probably build myself one just like it in the next month or two:

http://3btech.net/tha2allcohef.html  (Heat sink and fan $30)

http://3btech.net/seatalg22xdv.html (DVD Recorder $28)

http://3btech.net/chdufan600wa.html (power supply - $20)

http://3btech.net/thsors101vgs.html (Thermaltake Case- $80- this went down a bit)

http://3btech.net/new12fopinmo.html (additional case fan- $ 7)

http://3btech.net/blmupaandalf.html (SD card reader with USB- $16)

http://3btech.net/seataiis30we5.html (500GB Hard drive- $57)

http://3btech.net/80slfanblfor.html (PCI slot fan for additional cooling- $9)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103711&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3watch&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3watch-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-AMD-_-19103711 (AMD Phenom X3 triple core Processor $ 73)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135074 (ECS Motherboard w/ RAID $50 w/ rebate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227199&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3watch&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3watch-_-Memory+%28Desktop+Memory%29-_-OCZ+Technology-_-20227199 (memory $80)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754 (Windows 7 -$107)

This comes out to $557.00 for all of the parts w/ shipping.

It assembled easily enough and Windows 7 is da bomb!! I really like it!! The computer works great and will last a while, especially for what his wife uses it for. The prices have changed lately. Windows7 can be had cheaper and the memory has gone up.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
My wife's new laptop has 7 on it and I'm pretty impressed.  Much better than vista.  It just seems faster.  It's a $300 laptop and she manages to play a few games on it. (sim games)

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 10:07:23 PM »
Thanks much for what's been posted so far.  No worries fistful, we know who to blame  :P

Win7 or XP will both work for gaming.  Buying Vista for your purposes is crazy, because Win7 has noticeably better gaming poerformance.  Keep in mind that if you use 32-bit xp or win7, you'll be limited to 4GB of ram usable by the OS.  If you want the option of adding more in the future, you'll need a 64-bit windows OS.

Since you already have some ddr2 memory and you're going to use it for gaming, I'd suggest a core2 quad like the q9550.  i5/i7 motherboards are more expensive, and use more expensive ddr3 ram (which you don't already have).  On the other hand, if you're going to do a fair amount of virtualization and want it to be as fast as possible, the on-chip memory controller of i5/i7 nehalem chips (or AMD chips, which have had on-chip mem controllers for a while now) is worth it.

q9550
LGA 775 motherboard supporting ddr2
4gb-8gb ddr2 ram
2x 1TB hdd (raid-1 mirror), optional wd 10krpm raptor to install games onto if you want them to load faster.
radeon 57xx-58xx or nvidia gtx 2xx
win7 home or pro x64 (pro if you want winxp mode virtualization for old apps)
sata cdrom drive if you want to get rid of pata drives completely
dual 24" LCDs perhaps :)

or-
i7-920
LGA 1366 board
6gb ddr3 ram
same drives/video/OS/cdrom

newegg and tigerdirect are good shops.

Tyme,

that's EXACTLY the sort of advice I'm looking for.  In your opinion, should I go with the quad core and spend more on ram and cooling system, or should I go with a basic i7 and accessorize down the road?

Thor,

You pretty happy with the AMD chip?  I've never even considered them, because I know nothing about em'..   I'm not against AMD at all, just always used Intel stuff..

zombienerd

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 02:00:35 AM »
You pretty happy with the AMD chip?  I've never even considered them, because I know nothing about em'..   I'm not against AMD at all, just always used Intel stuff..

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll give my .02 just because I'm nosy like that.

AMD offers "More bang for the buck"..   Intel processors always have, and most likely always will have the advantage in speed, and the cutting edge.  What AMD does is offer comparable performance for less money.  AMD seems to always be one step behind Intel the past few years. 

Three years ago, I would have told you to buy an AMD over an Intel for gaming, as their core units functioned better for gaming than the Intel offerings.  This is not so much true today.

Rough example: If you look at an AMD processor with 4 cores running at 3.2ghz having 256k cache on each core, it would cost about $200, the same "specs" from Intel would usually cost twice the amount.

If you benchmark them against each other using the exact same hardware, the Intel chip would just edge out the AMD.    So it comes down to are you willing to pay 50-100% more for a 5% increase in performance?   The hard core gaming crews usually will...

For the budget-minded user, AMD is king, and will never be knocked from that pedestal.   If you buy a $1000 Intel i7 chip, in 6 months that exact chip will be $400, where as if you buy a $200 AMD chip, in 6 months it will cost $150.

I hope I've been helpful.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »
zombienerd,

That's definitely helpful.  Didn't know that about AMD.  Sorta makes sense now, all the Dell machines I've looked at are AMD hardware.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »
No...
Vista is awful, and Windows 7 is amazing.
How'd you get so backwards?
Oh...wait...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
Zombienerd said it well. Unless you're doing the specific things that the i7 can do better than other chips (most people don't), you're way better off with an AMD Phenom. Make sure to get an AMD compatible MB that will take up to 8gig RAM (some take only 4) and you'll be able to expand later on if you want.

AMD is really good about being backward (and forward) compatible, so it's easy to swap to faster RAM, newer chips, etc. on the same MB down the road if you want to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »
Browsing Pricewatch..  This looks pretty decent for the AMD camp:

http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.asp?kc=DTWINPHENII9651

And I'm assuming the "X4" makes it a quad?

And the Intel:

http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.asp?kc=DTWINC2QQ955512

Are these a decent place to start?

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »
I love AMD processors. Dollar for dollar, they are the best. MY 1.4 GHz athlons  (one 1.4 GHz processor in each computer) runs circles around the one PC I have with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4. I haven't toyed with the new Intel Processors because I've stayed with AMD for the most part. I've bought stuff from ascendtech but I prefer Newegg and 3btech as vendors.

AS far as the two system you've selected, I'd go with more RAM (4GB) for W7 and better cooling for the AMD Processor. Extra case fans are always good to have because4, IMO, the cooler, the better.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 11:57:41 AM »
Whatever you do, make sure to get the new Sarcasm 5.0 upgrade  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »
Whatever you do, make sure to get the new Sarcasm 5.0 upgrade  ;)

What interface to patch scapegoat.. :laugh:

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 12:33:11 PM »
Windows 7 is nicer than Vista (what it should have been) and better in many areas than my last install of XP Pro x64 for gaming.
As an i7 + X58 owner I can also say that you don't really need it, but I like shiny toys. The AMD chips will do just great.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!