Author Topic: Does this sound suspicious?  (Read 1606 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 11:22:51 PM »
I took 5 layers off a raftered 80 some year old house.   It was 2 female dogs. I broke even on it and the kids that helped me still bust my balls about it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Does this sound suspicious?
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 09:24:50 PM »
If you're referring to the hail, it's really no big deal, and it's usually not severe. Rarely comes and rarely bigger than pebble size.

This.

Tornadoes are a bigger threat IMHO, and I'll deal with the occasional one of those vs snow every winter

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Does this sound suspicious?
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »
Was the previous job a tear-off, or were the new shingles installed right over the old?

Typically, building codes allow ONE reroof by going over, but don't allow more than two layers of shingles on the roof. Not surprising -- shingles weigh around 4 to 5 pounds per square foot, so pile up a bunch of layers and you use up the safety factor in the rafters (or trusses) pretty quickly. And a second layer never lasts as long over an old roof as it would if the same shingles were laid down like a new roof.

And, lastly, if you expect to be in the house for awhile, stripping two layers of shingles is a female dog of a job, so any money you save today will be blown in demolition costs when the next reroof comes along and the roofer has to take off two layers.

I'm just really skeptical about someone who says he'll do the work for whatever (unknown, indeterminate) amount the insurance company will pay. How do you know what you're going to get? Does his non-price include a style and grade of shingle you'd want on your house? Does his price include a proper underlayment? Does his proposal include disposing of all the old roofing? Is he offering shingles with a 15-, 20-, 25-, or 30-year warranty? Is it a brand you've even heard of?

My grandfather used to say that, "A good worker knows the value of his work." Someone who wanders in and says he'll do it for whatever doesn't seem to be someone who knows the value of his work. (Or ... maybe he does.)

There's only one layer on there, so the previous was a tear-off. That's what I'd want, too. I've been up in the attic a lot, and the wood up there is pretty lightweight.

As for the roofer, he's just fishing for work, or that's the other roofer's opinion. If he gets an adjuster to agree, then he got a job. If the adjuster doesn't agree, he doesn't get a job. But I get nicked for trying to file a claim.