Author Topic: The Twilight Zone  (Read 4347 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
The Twilight Zone
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »
I expect most folks here grew up with this show (or reruns thereof). Those who did may very well have seen an episode that scared the living daylights out of 'em... at least for a while.
Wikipedia has a list of TZ episodes, and synopses for 'em:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Twilight_Zone_episodes

What's the scariest episode you remember seeing?

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: The Twilight Zone
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »
For myself, I think 'The Living Doll' tops the list. I still remember the line "My name is Talky Tina, and I am going to kill you" fifteen years after seeing it. Shook me up at the time.
Still, "It's a Good Life" had the highly disturbing image (at the time) of the kid turning a guy into a jack-in-the-box... pretty sure I had nightmares after that.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »
I read through that list not long ago and surprised myself with how many episodes I remembered. I guess you could call it my scariest episode, but also the one that intrigued me the most, was the one when the little kid fell through the dimension hole (that no one could see) in the wall (behind his bed, wasn't it?). I didn't bump against any wall in our house for several days, but then I went around testing all of them to see if we had an escape hatch like that.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:49:24 AM »
I rented a few old Twilight Zone episodes recently.  They were okay, as the old Outer Limit shows.  What I really liked were the newer Outer Limit shows done 1995-2002.  Great story lines in many episodes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »
CBS, and I think some other networks as well, have recently begun offering some of their series online.  Here ya go.

http://www.cbs.com/classics/the_twilight_zone/video/video.php
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:09:03 PM »
Two have always gotten to me...

The Monsters are due on Maple Street

The Hitch-Hiker.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:13:34 AM »
Although it was not a scary episode, my favorite is "Time Enough At Last" starring Burgess Meredith.  The story of a bookish man who survives a nuclear war and finally has time to read all his favorite books in the public library.  But just as he begins to pull down a book from the shelf, he drops his glasses, they shatter, and he cannot see well enough to read.  "It's not fair, It's not fair!" are the final lines of dialogue.

This was later parodied on Futurama as an episode of "The Scary Door".

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 04:39:30 AM »
Although it was not a scary episode, my favorite is "Time Enough At Last" starring Burgess Meredith.  The story of a bookish man who survives a nuclear war and finally has time to read all his favorite books in the public library.  But just as he begins to pull down a book from the shelf, he drops his glasses, they shatter, and he cannot see well enough to read.  "It's not fair, It's not fair!" are the final lines of dialogue.

This was later parodied on Futurama as an episode of "The Scary Door".

That's probably my all time favorite too! My other favorite is "the Midnight Sun".

Two have always gotten to me...

The Monsters are due on Maple Street

The Hitch-Hiker.

Those too! There are a bunch of them. Monsters was particularly interesting in that it explored how the power of suggestion affected the group dynamic of the neighborhood.

A lot of the Zone stories played on the quirks and irrational fears of people.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 05:50:33 AM »
I think I remember The Monsters are Due on Maple Street.
I seem to recall two that I enjoyed, but it's been so long...
One was a man finding himself alone in an old deserted town...was really rundown, can't remember much more than that.  (Possibly "Where Is Everybody?")
Another was about a few bank robbers stealing a bunch of gold and going into suspended animation in a cave in the desert for a long time...when they woke up, half of them were dead and their car was broken.  So they have to carry their heavy load of gold through the desert...and in the end it turns out that in the future, gold is worthless since science discovered a way to manufacture it.  ("The Rip Van Winkle Caper")
I think I remember "A Most Unusual Camera" too.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 06:02:59 AM »
I like the episode where Rachel gets a new job, and Ross doesn't like it, because she makes more than he does now.  And then Joey and that other guy are trying to help Phoebe write a new song. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 07:01:17 AM »
"it explored how the power of suggestion affected the group dynamic of the neighborhood."

Yep. That's why I really liked The Blair Witch Project. It wasn't really scary, but it was a great assessment of what happens to the group dynamic under stress.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 07:12:00 AM »
I like the episode where Rachel gets a new job, and Ross doesn't like it, because she makes more than he does now.  And then Joey and that other guy are trying to help Phoebe write a new song. 

And what about Naomi? Tune in next week for "As the Stomach Churns".  grin

A lot of the Twilight Zone episodes were much more than just entertainment, they were like "Serling's Fables".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 07:17:04 AM »

Why? Because those are the only "friends" you have?  laugh

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »
SMELLY CAT, SMELLY CAT, WHAT ARE THEY FEEDING YOU?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »

Why? Because those are the only "friends" you have?  laugh

I don't really like Friends, but speaking of which... 

When my wife used to teach English, she had some students write plays.  The kids knew she didn't have a television, so one of them thought she could get away with copying a Friends episode, and just change the names.  But the characters and setting looked awfully familiar, anyway.  My wife called a Friends fan, and started asking her if she had heard the story before.  Yup, she had. 
Nice try, though.  smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
Let me guess...

He renamed his play "How to get an F in English without really trying"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »
As a kid, "The Outer Limits" scared the hell out of me. That one more often than not had monsters you got to see, instead of just hinted at.

"The Twilight Zone" often was more cerebral had a moral to it, if you were a good person, you came out okay in the situation etc. Only episodes like "Time Enough at Last" and I forget the title, but the one with the young woman and her landlady held hostage by a home invader as the earth passes too close to the sun that had a major EOTW theme were kind of scary.

For Mrs. Dual, if it's late at night, and you start humming the theme to "Unsolved Mysteries", DA DA DA DA DA... DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO!, and bellowing self-importantly, "It was the night of April 12th, 1978...police like the narrating Robert Stack in the trench coat, she gets the heebies...  laugh
I promise not to duck.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
double-tap, ignore...
I promise not to duck.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 02:55:37 PM »
Surf the channel has 49 episodes online. http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/The_Twilight_Zone.html

Time enough to last is a favorite as well as the one where the little boy is supernatural mental.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »
Anyone remember "The Night Gallery"?

That one scared the living hell out of me, and also a Rod Sterling work.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
My god...

I had NO idea Rod Serling co-wrote the screen play for Planet of the Apes...