Author Topic: The ultimate knowledge backup archive for humanity  (Read 1098 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The ultimate knowledge backup archive for humanity
« on: February 25, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
https://www.fastcompany.com/90311572/lunar-library-30-million-pages-of-backup-human-culture-head-to-moon

https://www.archmission.org/

I have read about this concept in various science fiction stories over the years, but had no idea anyone was actually doing it.  I was reading the mission descriptions about placing archive copies on the Moon, in orbit, on Mars and to Jupiter LaGrange points, but was thinking 'we need copies on Earth as well', when I read the description on the Earth Library to do exactly this.  I see also that one of their storage media can be read with an optical microscope, as opposed to a optical drive such as DVD.  It sounds as if they are really planning for a collapse of technological civilization, and a jump start to restore a technological civilization. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

slugcatcher

• friend
Re: The ultimate knowledge backup archive for humanity
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 08:47:16 AM »
If our technological society collapses how will we get to space to find the knowledge we lost including where the knowledge is located?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 09:11:55 AM »
If our technological society collapses how will we get to space to find the knowledge we lost including where the knowledge is located?

I had that thought, too, but I suppose the one on earth is supposed to fulfill that role. The ones in space must be planned for visitors in the far future once our species is gone.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »
If the one of the moon has a lot of historical information, that could be priceless to a society that rebuilt itself.  Lots of that type of thing might have been lost.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 09:50:49 AM »
These types of archives have always fascinated me. One of these days  I have to dig into how they set up their "access infrastructure".

Simply storing the data and some kind of power source to access it would work for say, a global EMP, asteroid strike, total war, etc., since it's likely it could be accessed before people lose their connection to current languages. However, if someone finds the data 100,000 years from now, I wonder if they have some type of instruction set that is not language based to allow/assist access and understanding?

If an interstellar visitor found it, they'd likely have the ability to access and translate given their advanced technology. How do you set it up for, as an example, the equivalent of a Bronze Age human to not only access it, but also not somehow destroy it, intentionally or unintentionally? In the Sci-Fi world, there are often "tests" that have to be completed to ensure the species accessing the data have advanced far enough to use it before the door is opened, so to speak.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 11:15:28 AM »
^^^Poking around on the Arch mission website shows that they are working on means to teach our language, etc. in order to allow future people (or aliens, I guess) how to read and access the information.  Also, they are working on long-term storage of technology.  Very interesting to read about the various projects on the website.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »
^^^Poking around on the Arch mission website shows that they are working on means to teach our language, etc. in order to allow future people (or aliens, I guess) how to read and access the information.  Also, they are working on long-term storage of technology.  Very interesting to read about the various projects on the website.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »
Thgere's something strangely ironic about archiving Wikipedia as a snapshot in time.  Has anybody ever compared entries from a few years apart to see if the info got more accurate or even up to date?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 12:49:05 PM »
These types of archives have always fascinated me. One of these days  I have to dig into how they set up their "access infrastructure".

Simply storing the data and some kind of power source to access it would work for say, a global EMP, asteroid strike, total war, etc., since it's likely it could be accessed before people lose their connection to current languages. However, if someone finds the data 100,000 years from now, I wonder if they have some type of instruction set that is not language based to allow/assist access and understanding?

If an interstellar visitor found it, they'd likely have the ability to access and translate given their advanced technology. How do you set it up for, as an example, the equivalent of a Bronze Age human to not only access it, but also not somehow destroy it, intentionally or unintentionally? In the Sci-Fi world, there are often "tests" that have to be completed to ensure the species accessing the data have advanced far enough to use it before the door is opened, so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2uHBhKTSe0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 04:05:38 PM »
The only way to truly preserve knowledge is through people. People would have to be educated on the knowledge, use the knowledge, pass the knowledge down through the generations, and expand upon it. Having text doesn't necessarily mean you will understand the text even if you can read it. Follow?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 04:12:15 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2uHBhKTSe0

I see you and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNEzndgiFI

While funny, that's a single generation, maybe two. Now think ten generations or more.

Though it does still boggle my mind that old timey tech is harder for these kids to understand than new timey tech is for me. Or old timey tech for me and many in my generation and earlier. We seem to have reached some tipping point where people born post 2000 can't grok old stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 04:27:51 PM »
The only way to truly preserve knowledge is through people. People would have to be educated on the knowledge, use the knowledge, pass the knowledge down through the generations, and expand upon it. Having text doesn't necessarily mean you will understand the text even if you can read it. Follow?
...but Brawndo's got what plants crave.  Its got electrolytes!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3boy_tLWeqA&t=12s
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 04:34:48 PM »
I see you and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNEzndgiFI

While funny, that's a single generation, maybe two. Now think ten generations or more.

Though it does still boggle my mind that old timey tech is harder for these kids to understand than new timey tech is for me. Or old timey tech for me and many in my generation and earlier. We seem to have reached some tipping point where people born post 2000 can't grok old stuff.
My parents still have an old phone on the wall with a rotary dial, ear piece on the side, and you talk to the microphone in the middle.  Old timey style, but made in the 80's.  I answered the phone on it once when my nieces were there.  They thought I was playing a joke on them.  I think they assumed it didn't work. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 09:16:31 PM »

This is also a common trope in science fiction.  The hereditary caste of historians or scientists after civilization collaps that would keep a written or oral history and pass it down through the generations.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 11:03:47 PM »
This is also a common trope in science fiction.  The hereditary caste of historians or scientists after civilization collaps that would keep a written or oral history and pass it down through the generations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

One of my very favorite science fiction novels, and I am surprised it is never been made into a movie.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 07:08:48 AM »
One of my very favorite science fiction novels, and I am surprised it is never been made into a movie.

+1. Recommended reading.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »

+1. Recommended reading.

+2.   One of my all-time faves.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 02:50:31 PM »

Ditto on the movie.  It was made into a radio series.  Our local NPR station used to air it, right after The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »
Another example of the trope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kESfs3PQc3k
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden