Author Topic: Kimber Solo 9mm  (Read 1442 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Kimber Solo 9mm
« on: April 03, 2011, 03:37:57 AM »
Handled one today. Just a hair bigger L-W-H than my Colt Mustang, maybe 1/8" thicker though.

The one at Sportsman's Warehouse had a problem locking back on the empty mag.  Looked like the slide stop spring was stronger than the mag and the follower didn't make positive contact.

Trigger was mushy but overall I liked the feel.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Kimber Solo 9mm
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
Kimber's been having the same mag problems for 15 years. You'd think they'd just break down and put Wilson mags in their pistols.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »
Kimber's been having the same mag problems for 15 years. You'd think they'd just break down and put Wilson mags in their pistols.
Neither of my two has had that problem.  I have seen that issue with other 1911s, as well as XDs, and at least one of my M&Ps.
Handled one today. Just a hair bigger L-W-H than my Colt Mustang, maybe 1/8" thicker though.

The one at Sportsman's Warehouse had a problem locking back on the empty mag.  Looked like the slide stop spring was stronger than the mag and the follower didn't make positive contact.
Slide stop spring? Is this a non-1911?  You said "handled." Did you shoot it?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »
Handled, not fired.  There may not be a spring in there but the damn lever does -not- want to move up on its own.  If there isn't a spring holding it down the only reason possible is a bad mag follower-lever interface.

The Solo is a striker fired 9mm.  Take a look at it. http://www.kimberamerica.com/solo  It (aesthetically) brings to mind the 1903 in shape, but tinier.

I like the whole concept (it has ambi thumb safeties) but unlike a mag problem with a 1911 clone there are not any aftermarket mag solutions.

If it is a real issue it will be a crippler for an otherwise nice idea.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:20:13 AM by Matthew Carberry »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »
First I've seen of it. It certainly has some lines from a 1903 and a 1911, including the slide stop, but I don't know if there is a spring under it. The XD and XDm pistols have a spring-loaded slide stop. I understand that because the slide stop lever is so small and light that it needs to have the spring pressing it down to keep it from bouncing up under recoil. Maybe the Solo has the same issue.

I wonder why it has a mechanical safety. It is striker fired and looks to have a fairly long trigger movement, which seems to me to preclude the need for the thumb safety. Maybe it needs it to pass drop tests or something. I do notice that the trigger is not hinged like other striker-fired guns, such as Glock and the M&P.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »
I'm thinking the thumb safety may be mostly for aesthetics, it's really small.  Something to keep the 1911-types happy.

First I've seen of it. It certainly has some lines from a 1903 and a 1911, including the slide stop, but I don't know if there is a spring under it. The XD and XDm pistols have a spring-loaded slide stop. I understand that because the slide stop lever is so small and light that it needs to have the spring pressing it down to keep it from bouncing up under recoil. Maybe the Solo has the same issue.

I wonder why it has a mechanical safety. It is striker fired and looks to have a fairly long trigger movement, which seems to me to preclude the need for the thumb safety. Maybe it needs it to pass drop tests or something. I do notice that the trigger is not hinged like other striker-fired guns, such as Glock and the M&P.