Author Topic: Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax  (Read 2477 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax
« on: September 29, 2019, 05:23:29 PM »
https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

I was at WalMart today and cruised through the auto care aisle to see if there was anything new.  I picked up a bottle of a new product, Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax, came home, and washed and waxed the truck.  I will be interested to see how it holds up.  We are just now entering the rainy season in the Seattle area, so I am curious to see if it performs better than my usual product: Meguiar's M21 mirror glaze synthetic sealant. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 05:58:43 PM »
We are just now entering the rainy season in the Seattle area

Hmm.  Learn something every day.  I thought it was rainy season all year round in Seattle.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 06:09:27 PM »
Hmm.  Learn something every day.  I thought it was rainy season all year round in Seattle.

We get the serious rain from October through April.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »
Hmm.  Learn something every day.  I thought it was rainy season all year round in Seattle.

Ditto, but thanks for the explanation, MillCreek

Only a semi-serious ??? :

Why do you wash your vehicles if it rains that often?

Seems to me if the whole burg gets a distilled-water rinse every day, where's the dirt come from?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 06:37:51 PM »

Seems to me if the whole burg gets a distilled-water rinse every day, where's the dirt come from?
[/b]

Global climate change of course.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 06:42:07 PM »
That would be Globular Misting in Washington, eh?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »

Rain water isn't that clean.  It collects dust, dirt, pollen, etc. in the air and then as the rain sits on the car it collects more and leaves spots when it dries.  Also, acid rain is a problem in some areas.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 01:07:46 AM »
I'll be interested to hear your results. McGuire's makes really good stuff. Its the only thing I'll use on my interiors. Their products don't dry out plastics like armor all does. I've been converted to a believer in ceramic coatings, to the point that my next new car will head straight from the dealer to the detail shop to have it done.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 08:15:47 AM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
I used it this year for the first time. It's holding up very well and looking great on our ruby red Ford Fusion.
The ceramic glass finishes are quite the thing now but the process is above the average DIY. You have to thoroughly dewax, clean and buff the paint surface which is why dealers and custom finish shops charge $400-600 for it (lasts up to 5 years depending on environment and exposure to sun etc).
The hybrid ceramic wax is probably an annual process whereas a typical carnuba car wax is more like a 3-6 month interval.
I plan to use the hybrid again before winter and to do a thorough prep on the jeep and do it also.
I'm not willing to do the full ceramic glass thing myself and not yet willing to pay a shop so the hybrid is an excellent option.
I find the ceramic hybrid much easier to clean bug guts and tar and tree sap off compared to my previous mcguires wax. I'm old fashioned. I still prefer to hand wash at home in the driveway and then dry off and detail in my heated/air conditioned and floor drained garage.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:03:52 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
Rain water isn't that clean.  It collects dust, dirt, pollen, etc. in the air and then as the rain sits on the car it collects more and leaves spots when it dries.  Also, acid rain is a problem in some areas.

Plus of course all the road dirt and grime that splashes up onto the vehicle.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 09:58:20 AM »
I'll be interested to hear your results. McGuire's makes really good stuff. Its the only thing I'll use on my interiors. Their products don't dry out plastics like armor all does. I've been converted to a believer in ceramic coatings, to the point that my next new car will head straight from the dealer to the detail shop to have it done.

I use 303 protectant. Is there a Meguiar's product that you like better?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 01:14:45 PM »
Interesting. I may have to give this wax a go. In CA, I usually waxed 3-4 times a year and washed at least 1-2 times a month. Here, I'm going a might longer because if I wanted to keep the vehicles clean, I'd be washing every week. I've also started going to the drive through car wash as "good enough".

I'm wondering if a good hand wash at home, followed by this hybrid wax a couple of times a year might be a good replacement for my regular Meguiar's wax given my lazier car cleaning schedule.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 01:57:37 PM »
I have also read some interesting reviews of Turtle Wax ICE Seal and Shine.  I may just pick up a bottle of this at WalMart and wax my wife's car with it.  This will give me a good comparison as I observe my truck and her car over time for the wax durability and quality.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »
I use 303 protectant. Is there a Meguiar's product that you like better?

I've never tried 303; but for anything plastic or vinyl I use McGuire's ultimate interior detailing spray. For leather, Lexol leather cleaner, and then their conditioner once every 6 months.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 07:57:10 PM »

The air.  Rain drops precipitate on motes of dust.  Every raindrop has a solids content.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 09:48:29 PM »
So today I washed and waxed the wife's maroon Mazda CX-5 with Turtle Wax ICE Shine and Seal.  I will be interested to compare the Turtle Wax product on her car with the Meguiar's product on my truck.  There was only a six day difference in when I waxed the truck vs. waxing her car, but the major difference is that the truck is outside 24/7, and her car is in the garage when at home.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 06:37:01 PM »
So I have done a long-running test, and the winner is clear: Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine. Much greater durability and gloss than the Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax. The Turtle Wax product requires just a couple sprays per panel and a wipe with a microfiber cloth. $9.97 at finer Wal-Mart's everywhere. Also better durability and gloss than my old standby of M21 mirror sealant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 07:06:20 PM »
So if I see the dates correctly, you went a full year in between waxes?

If so, I'll have to look into the turtle wax. I used to wax my vehicles around 2-3 times a year, but it's just not worth it living where I live now.  I cut way down on washing too. I don't even wash them myself anymore. I now run the vehicles through the super duper computer car wash every three months or so for the $15 super special wash/wax. Then once a year, I hand wash them myself and apply Meguiar's to get a real wax on them and get all the nooks and crannies that the car wash misses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 07:17:19 PM »

Unclean air and road grime.

I used to use Meguiar's, and I think it's an excellent product, but now I use Mother's Ultimate Wax System (Steps 1, 2, and 3).  I like it a bit better, but it is a lot of work.  I always wash thoroughly before applying wax, otherwise I'm just sealing in road grime.

Wash, rinse, wash, rinse, wash, rinse, dry, apply polish (Step 1), buff polish, apply glaze (Step 2), buff glaze, apply wax (Step 3), buff wax.  Whew!  At least a couple hours, easy.  Actually not so easy, and I have to do it with the sun not out because otherwise my dark paint will get so hot the polish/glaze/wax will bake on, and instead of buffing it off I have to laboriously scrub it off.  I try to avoid that if the paint is hot by applying polish/glaze/wax to just a small part at a time (driver's side) and then buff it off before it bakes on, but it's still a race.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 07:46:13 AM »
I've been using NuFinish car polish for years.

It's NOT, though, a "once a year" finish as it bills itself. It generally starts to wear off after about 2 to 3 months. But, it's easy to apply and get off and leaves a nice shine.

That said, I think I might give the Turtle Wax a try on the new Subaru in the spring.

When I was my cars (that reminds me, I need to get the hose bib fixed out front so that I can wash the Subaru) I always do the first wash with hot water; as hot as I can get it from the tap.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 08:20:33 AM »
My car just got it's "once every three years super detail".  Inside and out, paint correction, ceramic coating on paint, the whole shebang.   Took 14 hours.  Best $400 I spent this summer.  I read Silver Bulllet's description and think about FL in the summer, and am just "No, not doing that".

The ceramic coating makes it slick enough that I can just run it through the car wash every month or 6 weeks, and it's all pretty again.  The only part I *clean* anymore are the wheels, because my brakes dust like a mofo.

Hat's off to you guys that have the gumption to go out and hand wash and wax your ride.  It must not be a bazzilion degrees out with 98% humidity there.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2020, 09:25:55 AM »
So if I see the dates correctly, you went a full year in between waxes?

Two waxes with each product on each car: her car in October 2019 and April 2020 with Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine (black bottle) and my truck in October 2019 and April 2020 with Meguair's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (blue bottle).

Based on those results, I just did another wax in October 2020, but used the Turtle Wax Ice Seal n Shine for both vehicles. It takes me about ten minutes each to do my truck and her car since I have to get the stepladder out to reach the middle of the roof.  I also wax the windshields and driver side windows to get the water to bead and run off at speed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
It takes me about ten minutes each

That's for me! Right now it's 20 minutes to apply, 20 minutes to let it sit, 20 minutes to wipe off. Wax on / wax off is for me! Cobra Kai!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2020, 10:31:55 AM »

The ceramic coating makes it slick enough that I can just run it through the car wash every month or 6 weeks, and it's all pretty again.  The only part I *clean* anymore are the wheels, because my brakes dust like a mofo.

A switch to ceramic pads on both of my cars, cut back dust by about 80%. After that, try some of this.

https://www.amazon.com/Gyeon-Rim-Sealant-30-ml/dp/B01CESR2X8