Author Topic: That Box of Chocolates. Or Not. (Defenestrating Fraud Laws)  (Read 848 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=229099

This can't be good for securities markets.  Or just about any markets. 

Buyer: "Hey, when I got home and opened the package that prominently advertizes a PC on the label, I found a brick with an abacus tied to it, not a personal computer.  I would like a refund."
Seller: "Too bad, no refund.  You could have opened the package and checked to ensure we were selling you a PC instead of a brick with an abacus tied to it.  Suck it up, buttercup."

State Supreme Court Justice Charles Ramos dismissed the claims against Goldman Sachs today, saying the investors only reviewed data presented in offering documents for the securities and never asked to review files for the underlying loans.

“The true nature of the risk being assumed could, admittedly, have been ascertained from reviewing these loan files and plaintiffs never asked for them,” Ramos wrote.

Either I can rely on the label (in this case the offering prospectus) or I can't.  The fact of the matter is that all of these securities came with offering circulars and prospectuses that made representations as to the quality of the loans in them.  Those representations were false and yet what this dismissal says is that as a matter of law if I don't require you to prove the representations you make then the fault is mine -- not yours -- even if what you represent is not true and (as was the case here) you're in possession of the data to know it's false.

Mash the first linky.  Not too long, but gets the point across.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
Re: That Box of Chocolates. Or Not. (Defenestrating Fraud Laws)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »
LOL, noone, save a very select few bright people knew what was in the mortgage backed derivitives, Goldman Sachs sure as heck didn't. Doesn't change my opinion that they should all hang for the chaos and destruction they brought to the economy, let alone the government facilitated theft of taxpayer money thta followed.

Buyer: "Hey, when I got home and opened the package that prominently advertizes a PC on the label, I found a brick with an abacus tied to it, not a personal computer.  I would like a refund."
Seller: "Too bad, no refund.  You could have opened the package and checked to ensure we were selling you a PC instead of a brick with an abacus tied to it.  Suck it up, buttercup."

It was more like they were selling a popular kid's toy at the time- like a Tickle Me Elmo, without realizing that the parts made in china were contaminated with plutonium.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:47:22 PM »
I wonder if that State Supreme Court justice suddenly found the means to buy that new vacation home and Mercedes he's been wanting . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 05:38:15 AM »
"If it ain't illegal, it must be ethical."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:41:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.