Main Forums > The Roundtable

New computer is arriving...

<< < (2/10) > >>

mtnbkr:

--- Quote from: jefnvk ---I will never buy a premade desktop again.  So much easier for me to have parts replaced under their manufacturers warranty, than to spend hours on the phone confirming what I already knew was wrong with Dell, only to have them say they won't swap out the part, I have to send the entire unit back.
Plus, I question the motherboards that are used in those things.  Way too much blocked off to keep a tinkerer like me from playing with settings to optimize it.Having been LAN support in a previous life, I have spent time on the phone with component manufacturers doing similar troubleshooting for, get this, a hard drive that was making noise and not working.  It all depends on who's on the other end, not whether or not they're an assembler or manufacturer.  In that same previous life, Dell was pretty easy to deal with as long as you knew what you were talking about and gave them specific, necessary information.  

As for the "tinker" factor, it's just not important to most people.  Heck, I know how to build my own computers and have built several, but I'd have a hard time passing by the deal Mike got if I needed a new complete PC today.  As it is, I never replace an entire PC, so it's usually cheaper to get a new mobo/CPU and video card to bring mine back up to spec.

My homebuilt PC runs great and has been ultra-reliable.  My Dell server was cheaper than buying a mobo/cpu/hdd alone, not to mention the case, keyboard, mouse, etc.  It too has been great.  It runs SUSE Linux and acts as my file/print/web/ftp server.  

Chris

BryanP:
jefnvk,

Rolling your own is fine for some people - myself included - but that doesn't mean that buying a good pre-made system is a bad way to go.  When something goes wrong you or I have to diagnose the problems, figure out which part is indeed the cause, and then *if* it's still under warranty go through the replacement rigamarole.  I'm willing to do that, not because it saves me money but because I like building an exact system to my specs, including motherboard model & such.  

Mr. Irwin, on the other hand, gets a very nice system with a warranty.  Yes, if he has a problem he'll have to deal with Dell tech support.  So what?  Not everyone wants to spend enough time to learn how to diagnose obscure system problems.  There are times when I don't want to mess with it and I get paid for it.  

Oh, and Mike - congratulations on your new computer.  May it serve you well.

Sean Smith:
For a basic system, you are hard pressed to make one for less, and most people don't need more than Dell offers; they simply don't put any stress on the system to see the Dell's various drawbacks and other weaknesses in the first place.

My last attempt to buy a Dell was a nightmare.  Every person on the phone was clinically retarded.  They bungled my (simple) order multiple times.  I built my own mainly because I got sick of dealing with the idiots, really.

People can be snobs about computers (like anything else), but it is pretty pointless.  Either the computer meets your needs, or it doesn't.  That's all that maters; everything else is wanking.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus:
Congratulations on the new computer, Mike.  May it serve you well. I love warranties.  Overall, Dell handles a fine product that is reliable and affordable.

As for me, I'm a tinkerer. I've built literally thousands of whiteboxes.  I haven't had the side panels on my own computer in years- I'm always moving or changing things.

http://www.pricewatch.com is a fun place to look and drool over 'pooter goodies.  

Regards,
Rabbit.

DigMe:
Dell computers can be had for cheaper too.  Just watch www.amazing-bargains and www.slickdeals.net for coupons and discounts.  There's some good stuff on there...like they just ran a promo to get the monitor that Mike just got except for 40 dollars cheaper (sorry to say it, Mike!).

brad cook

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version