Main Forums > The Roundtable

Boot Camp Support Options?

(1/2) > >>

Bemidjiblade:
My friend Phantom Warrior is leaving Tuesday for Boot Camp.
So my question to those who have been there is,
Do I have to wait to get a letter from him with his return address, so that I know where to send a letter?
If I have his army e-mail address, will he be able to read what I write that way?

What is the best way of showing my support for my bud?

elkhunter:
I don't know about the e-mail thing, but as far as snail mail goes wait till he sends you his adress and then write him. A lot. Seriously it helps tremendously.  Just dont send him any care packages because almost everything is considered contraband and will get confiscated.

TarpleyG:
I am not sure about Army boot camp but in the Corps, we sent letters with the correct address that they told us to use.  Once you get that first letter, go to town.  Send him a letter at least once a week.  I was miserable at mail call if I didn't get a letter.  Tell all his other friends and his family to write all the time too.  Doesn't matter what they write about--tell how their day was, local news, anything.  You can include photos but nothing lewd, etc.  You don't want to send anything that singles him out or gets him in trouble.  Thin envelopes get little scrutiny.  If he has a girlfriend, tell her no perfume or little hearts and *expletive deleted*it all over the envelope--just asking for trouble with that crap--I should know.

Greg

Stickjockey:
Just make sure your letters are on perfumed paper, and evidently from someone named "Molly".

(insertdevillaughingevillysmileyhere)

By the way, that was a JOKE!!!

USP45usp:
Yes, you will have to wait until he gets there.  A squad name/# won't be assigned until he gets there (I'm guessing on that one because in the Air Force, we had a Flight # assigned as well as the barricks(sp) name so they could get it to the right place).

And, please do write weekly.  Mail call was one of the greatest times.  It took your mind off your day and gave you a feeling of home.  News is great also.

No care packages allowed unless it's something that can be bought (and is needed) at the PX/BX like razors for shaving (no blades, they have to be the disposable due to suicide risks, there are some people that can't handle it), shaving cream, toothpaste, things like that.  No food, ciggs, alcohol, etc..  The food is provided by Uncle Sam and not allowed from outside sources due to some folks are on the "fat boy" program and some are on the "thin boy" program (where they get you up to weight, that was me).  All the food is monitored because it has the right amount of calories, etc.. for what they do.  When they get base privileges(sp) then they can buy junk food or whatever they want.

edited:  How rude of me, I forgot to say Good Luck and Thank You to your friend.

Wayne

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version