Author Topic: I'll just take a quick nap. The bosses'll never know.  (Read 1925 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I'll just take a quick nap. The bosses'll never know.
« on: April 15, 2016, 12:45:23 PM »
Or maybe they will...

http://www.kcbd.com/story/31733904/officials-fedex-stowaway-awoke-from-worktime-nap-mid-flight?clienttype=generic

So, kids, the lesson here is if you're gonna sleep on the job, choose your location wisely.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: I'll just take a quick nap. The bosses'll never know.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:16:32 PM »
LOL, I used to work in a food warehouse that did everything from dry storage to deep freeze.  Manager was in the freezer one day and saw a forklift sitting off to the side with no one around it like there should've been.  Got to looking for the operator of said forklift and found him on the top rack, asleep, amongst some sort of frozen food.  Kid had set up a pallet with boxes around him, thought he couldn't be seen.

All I could do not to laugh as the manager fired his ass on the spot.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
So, kids, the lesson here is if you're gonna sleep on the job, choose your location wisely.

And get in the habit of saying "amen" as soon as you wake up.

One of the advantages of working security was that the only other people with the keys to certain areas were the janitors, and they liked to nap when their regular work was done too.  There was something of an understanding...not that it mattered considering how often the captain got caught snoring at the front desk by client employees.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 02:33:48 PM »
At Ye Olde Malle, we had a guard fall asleep. While driving a company vehicle.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 02:50:23 PM »
Fall asleep at work?  No, never.

That 's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »
I watched the video, there's not much going on in Lubbock is there?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 03:08:51 PM »
Fall asleep at work?  No, never.

On the flight back from KC to Stephenville, I was quite glad I'd been through enough ground school to read the instruments and be sure we had plenty of air under us, fuel in the tanks and a pretty near due south orientation when I woke up somewhere over Oklahoma and realized both the pilot and copilot were snoring loud enough to hear over the engines.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »
Now that I use a CPAP machine at night, I am fine.  Before that, I used to have trouble a lot.  Even when driving.  It wasn't really new, it just got worse over the last several years. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 05:59:19 PM »
Why did the guy try to knock on the cabin?  Surely he could tell they were flying.  He had a chance of getting off the plane without notice and either hitching another ride back or making his own way. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 09:16:49 PM »
Guy on my ship had to wake up and go back to Security to announce that he no longer had the rifle he had been on watch with. GM1 had relieved the sleeping watch of it and returned the rifle to the armory. Now there's an awkward conversation with the old man.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »
Why did the guy try to knock on the cabin?  Surely he could tell they were flying.  He had a chance of getting off the plane without notice and either hitching another ride back or making his own way. 

At least he was in the cabin and not the baggage bin.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 12:34:35 AM »
Back when I worked at Airborne Express we'd hear about an ex-employee who had fallen asleep in either one of the aircraft bellies or a C container of freight.

Not sure how Fedex ships their freight, but our Naptimers had no way of getting close enough to bang on the cockpit door, unless they fell asleep in the Hazmat Container, because that was closest to the cockpit (So the crew could jettison it if need be).

Losing belly freight doors, because they weren't properly secured, seemed to be another one of our frequent stupid human tricks.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:43:07 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 01:09:22 AM »
My Dad told me some decades ago of how he did some sort of a study for the USPS when he was working for an engineering consulting company.

They went to one post office branch quite early, and discovered a number of employees sleeping on the job.

Nothing could be done, as they were 1) union employees; and 2) minorities.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:00:58 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 01:34:27 AM »
Many years ago at work they had sub-ed out a paint job that involved sand blasting the paint off, among other things, some very hard to reach places.  One of the blasters figured since nobody could see him the only way to tell if he was working was whether or not the sand was flowing.  So he used wire to tie off the nozzle and took a nap.  But he left it aimed at a steel plate to catch the sand, and he slept long enough to blast right through it. Kind of gave away his scheme, and cost him his job.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 03:44:32 AM »
I have been accused of carrying on the world's longest ongoing sleep deprivation experiment as a result I can nap on command the way a dog sits drive people that were crazy I would go outside lay down in the grass on break and be out in less than 60 seconds after I lay down and would wake up to my alarm and pop right back into work I had one manager who devoted a great deal of time trying to bust me for sleeping
I suppose was partially because I had a sleeping bag and I kept it laid out on the floor in my office she never caught  me though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »
At the truck plants a favorite, if not terribly smart, location for naps is in the sleeper compartment of new trucks.  One guy would take his naps underneath trucks.  To make it look like he might be working if anyone noticed him he used zipties to hold is hands up.
Formerly sumpnz