Author Topic: 21-year-old weightlifter tries to squat 1008 lbs: vomits on judge, passes out  (Read 8723 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
21-year-old weightlifter tries to squat 1008 lbs. at Sr. nationals in Chicago; projectile vomits all over judge, passes out

http://www.windycitizen.com/video/other-sports/2010/06/08/21-year-old-weightlifter-tries-to-squat-1008-lbs-at-sr-nationals-in-ch

From the description: " Logan Lacy attemping squat at A.P.F. Sr. Nationals in Chicago. During the squat he projectile vomits on the head judge and then passed out. Let it be noted that he also went for a third attempt after this happened."

I knew I really loved squats the first time I vomited in the middle of a workout, shook it of, and then finished up.  I never squatted over 600lbs, though.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
"...I never squatted over 600lbs, though."

Oh, I have at least a dozen really good retorts to this part of the post. =D =D :P

In deference to women and children........ :laugh:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Just as long as he does not have a rectal prolapse like that lifter did several years ago.  I'll let you google that yourself if you want pictures...   [barf]

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Just as long as he does not have a rectal prolapse like that lifter did several years ago.  I'll let you google that yourself if you want pictures...   [barf]

Snopes says false.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• friend
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
There is still a picture that does not look faked of something going very very very wrong with a dude in spandex's rear end.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I watched a pretty big dude completely blow his cut off shorts out during competition doing a heavy squat. It was like he started out with shorts and ended up with a denim skirt. Had to be a couple hundred people laughing their @$$es off. Soon as the shorts blew he lost his upward momentum, so he didn't make the lift either.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Wow. This thread and this one on the front page.

We're quite the genteel bunch, aren't we? (Had to look up how to spell that, but I suppose we are also a mostly Gentile bunch, too.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
There is still a picture that does not look faked of something going very very very wrong with a dude in spandex's rear end.

IIRC, Snopes marked it false because it didn't happen in the circumstances it is said to have happened in, not that it didn't happen.  The guy obviously had some rectal distress.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Iain

• friend
There's some videos floating around youtube of such mishaps, some not completely horrendous. I like the one of the young guy who racks a clean so enthusiastically he manages to jam it against his throat and pass out.

I've only paid attention to powerlifting for 7 or 8 years, but I remember when 1,000lbs was a big squat, massive really. Never used to be particularly anti supportive gear, but I do find it telling that we have 21 year olds squatting a grand and yet only Andy Bolton is deadlifting over a grand. Difference is that no-one has made a deadlift suit that gives you several hundred pounds worth of support.

No particular slam on the guys involved, they do what they have to in order to be competitive, and I've certainly never had a grand on my back (about half and that was for a walkout) It seems to be an equipment race now though, well squat and bench are.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
My wife's uncle squats 600 lbs everyday, that's just to squat down to the toilet.  No joke, he really weights 550 to 600 lbs, they couldn't tell for sure at the hospital. [barf]
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Big deal.....most 21 year-olds can do that after lifting 3-4 beers....  [barf]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
All those guys are fat.  What is up with that?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

280plus

• friend
You're not going to find many skinny guys squatting 1,000 lbs.  ;)

Iain

• friend
Been done at 250 odd lbs, I've seen that referred to as lightweight by guys who lift in the 308+lb category.

Interesting that the first 1,000lb squats were done in the late 70's, early 80's when gear would give you less than 200lbs. Top level unequipped lifters are still in the 800lb area. I'd be slated on powerlifting boards for this, but gear is the area that is still developing.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

roo_ster

• friend
Been done at 250 odd lbs, I've seen that referred to as lightweight by guys who lift in the 308+lb category.

Interesting that the first 1,000lb squats were done in the late 70's, early 80's when gear would give you less than 200lbs. Top level unequipped lifters are still in the 800lb area. I'd be slated on powerlifting boards for this, but gear is the area that is still developing.

I'd have to agree with that, along with the pharmaceutical area.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
You're not going to find many skinny guys squatting 1,000 lbs.  ;)
I expect to see muscles, not fat.  Seems to me that a person intent on lifting half a ton would try to minimize his own weight as an advantage.  How does being fat help these guys lift heavy weights?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

CNYCacher

• friend
What is this about gear?  There are suits you wear that support the weight for you?  What's the point?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

280plus

• friend
Believe it or not, the overly muscular type is not necessarily the best competitive weight lifter. It's a whole different animal. Over developed muscles (and hence low body fat) comes from lots of reps of lighter weight while training for competitive lifting generally is done with 3 sets of 3 with the object being your last set of three is done at your max. The story is when you can do 3 reps of your max it's time to attempt a higher max. Even just 1/4 # at the higher weights. The one I like is Vasily Alexeev, the first man to put 500 lbs over his head. At one point in his carreer he was lifting 504 lbs but could not lift 504 1/4 lbs. So one day his coach put the extra 1/4 lb on the bar without telling him and he made the lift.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:08:27 AM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasiliy_Alekseyev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erVblY7aiU

There are those who say the little knee bend just before putting it over his head should have resulted in a "no lift" DQ but the judges gave it to him and most of the retractors probably couldn't ROLL the 507 lbs let alone put it over their heads. (old weightlfter joke)  =D

Fyi His last clean and jerk record came out around 563 lbs when I converted it from metric. (256 kg)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:06:52 AM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
Here's another big star from the 70's. He was a couple years older than me and I did a lifting competition right at York Barbell the same time he was there. He pretty much kicked everybody's ass. I recall he had one guy giving him a run for his money so he pretended like he blew his second C&J which led his competitor to not go so high on his third (and final) lift, thinking Warner wasn't going to up the bar. So the guy makes his lift and warner comes out and raises the bar weight OVER the other guys last lift weight and I believe at least 10 lbs over the weight he had just failed and puts it up no problema. Strategery...  ;)

Not sure what ever became of him but he was a big star early on. All my teamates were making fun of him because he was kind of pretty well stuck on himself. Showed up with some smokin' hot babe on his arm, I guess have to give him credit for that. :laugh:

As you can see, he wasn't musclebound either. Just fantastic technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z52JtUvo4CY

280plus

• friend
here's another short clip of a guy, unknown to me, doing some heavy olympic style lifting. Again, he's not fat but he's not overly muscular either. VERY good technique. In the beginning you will see what alexeev's 507 lb clean and press should have looked like. Once the knees are locked the should not bend again to initiate the press phase.

Near the end you'll see why most of us used the split leg rather than squat technique for the jerk and the snatch. The snatch is one movement from the floor to over the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YmxfQvzP0&NR=1

280plus

• friend
Here's a nice snatch...  =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D76gLzrriuk&feature=related

and another...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOE-PZJq2sk&feature=related

and a clean and jerk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Nkr15kZBY&feature=related

Record C&J, The bar kind of looks ridiculous with all those plates on it. ~578 lbs.  :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChTOaYcAWfk&feature=related

front squat, used to train for the squat technique. The bar is in front, arms crossed instead of restin on the shoulders. This guy is an animal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSN3f-a3Ok&NR=1
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:07:14 AM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
And then sometimes things don't go so well, graphic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI0Zl-tMRf4&NR=1

roo_ster

• friend
front squat, used to train for the squat technique. The bar is in front, arms crossed instead of restin on the shoulders. This guy is an animal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSN3f-a3Ok&NR=1

Whoa, Nelly!
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton