Poll

What OS for a new PC without a touchscreen?

Win 7 Home Premium
4 (23.5%)
Win 7 Professional
12 (70.6%)
Win 8
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: November 15, 2012, 12:58:55 PM

Author Topic: Windows 7 or Win 8?  (Read 4148 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Windows 7 or Win 8?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
Every IT guy who I have heard discuss the topic has said to stick with Win7. My conclusion: IT guys aren't feeling the 8... for good reasons I hope.

If a touch screen is out of the question I wouldn't bother with Win 8 just yet.

You know why? 

There's several reasons:

1 - Hardware / software compatibility.  Sure, they SAY your old stuff will work just fine with it.  But what they say and what actually happens are often 2 different things.  If you're supporting multiple systems in an office environment, you can't have "it MIGHT work" 'coz that'll definitely get you "You CAN'T work here, anymore. "

2 - Retraining - The Metro interface is completely unlike previous windows versions.  If they've been using Win 9x/NT 4/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7, then they'll probably feel lost trying to relearn the system.  That's assuming it works perfectly right out of the box for you, which isn't really a safe assumption until at least SP1.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Windows 7 or Win 8?
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »
^^^ Uh oh.  Can you turn off the tiles?  Are the tiles what you call the Metro interface? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.