Author Topic: Woman Dies While Adjusting Bra Holster  (Read 5253 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Woman Dies While Adjusting Bra Holster
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »
Seems to me we were discussing this possibility after these holsters were introduced. Given the description of the fatal injury, it looks like the 4 rules were involved.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/19/michigan-woman-shot-herself-while-adjusting-bra-holster-police-say/?intcmp=latestnews

Edited for grammar
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:54:07 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Woman Dies While Adjusting Bra Holster
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »
One of my big concerns with these holsters is that they are a soft material.  Reholstering into soft holsters has caused ND/AD before.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »
Probably the biggest danger comes when you are manipulating guns.

That's why I hate unloading at the Post Office.  Or at home or anywhere.  I have one shelf of useless books about 2-1/2 feet long as a "safe direction" IF I decide for some reason to load or unload.

Most of these books are obsolete computer books.  Like on DOS.  Like on Win 3.2.  Like that there. :)

Difficulty of manipulation is also why I don't like molded holsters.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
She may have been having some problem getting the holster to fit right, or to get the gun to fit the holster right, but the gun didn't just "go off." Plus -- she shot herself in the eye, while allegedly adjusting her bra. I've never seen one of those cleavage holsters up close and personal, but I think I can safely surmise that they aren't set up to carry with the muzzle pointed up at the wearer's chin.

Which suggests that she not only removed the gun from the holster completely, she also turned it up and pointed it at her own face and had a thumb or some finger on the trigger. It's a very unfortunate incident, but it goes to demonstrate why we have the four rules, and why it's important to remember them and follow them ALWAYS. Murphy never takes a vacation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »

That's why I hate unloading at the Post Office.  Or at home or anywhere.  I have one shelf of useless books about 2-1/2 feet long as a "safe direction" IF I decide for some reason to load or unload.

Most of these books are obsolete computer books.  Like on DOS.  Like on Win 3.2.  Like that there. :)

Difficulty of manipulation is also why I don't like molded holsters.

Terry

I unload/load into the safe, pointed at the bottom. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »
^
I unload/load into the safe, pointed at the bottom.  

The angle of reflection = the angle of incidence.

Which means if the bullet hits the bottom and bounces off that onto the back wall, then bounces off that, there's a good chance it will come right back at you.

Try it with a flashlight and two mirrors at right angles to each other and you'll see what I mean.

Let alone having fragments flying around randomly out of the safe.

I, personally, would not use anything metal as a "safe direction" backstop.

Before I gathered all my archaic computer books onto one shelf, I had an expired bullet-"proof" vest I hung up for a safe direction.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:31:40 AM by 230RN »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »
If the bullet does not penetrate the safe, it will likely shatter.  Backspatter of lead is no fun and neither is jacket material, but it it more a threat to eyeballs without glasses in front of them than a shot to the chest.  The closer the angle of incident to 90deg, the greater the likelihood of shattering.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
Darwin at work.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 01:33:04 PM »
5 gallon "Homer Bucket" filled with playground sand?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »
She may have been having some problem getting the holster to fit right, or to get the gun to fit the holster right, but the gun didn't just "go off." Plus -- she shot herself in the eye, while allegedly adjusting her bra. I've never seen one of those cleavage holsters up close and personal, but I think I can safely surmise that they aren't set up to carry with the muzzle pointed up at the wearer's chin.

Which suggests that she not only removed the gun from the holster completely, she also turned it up and pointed it at her own face and had a thumb or some finger on the trigger. It's a very unfortunate incident, but it goes to demonstrate why we have the four rules, and why it's important to remember them and follow them ALWAYS. Murphy never takes a vacation.

With condolences to the family, I'd be curious to learn just what happened. If I recall from when we discussed these holsters on APS, the original designs at least, while not "barrel up", were, I think, horizontal, but with the barrel slightly up from the horizontal, vs down. That still wouldn't account for holster design being a primary factor, but it could be a small contributing factor. With the eye as the entry point, there had to be some pretty major manipulation of the gun and holster/bra going on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
Seems to me we were discussing this possibility after these holsters were introduced. Given the description of the fatal injury, it looks like the 4 rules were involved.

I think you mean "not involved."

That's why I hate unloading at the Post Office.  Or at home or anywhere.  I have one shelf of useless books about 2-1/2 feet long as a "safe direction" IF I decide for some reason to load or unload.

Leaving the gun in the car I understand, but why unload?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 01:57:59 PM »
I think you mean "not involved."

True.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 02:25:25 PM »

Or an old paper grocery bag stuffed completely full of newspaper. 

Probably about the safest method short of actually bying a bullet stopper like what the military uses.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 02:41:08 PM »
Bra holsters mostly seem to call for a one-handed grip and ripping the handgun downwards out of the holster.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TGGEYhPnM  That puts the muzzle up towards the face - even if for just a fraction of a second.  If you watch the video you will see the demonstrator often has her finger inside the trigger guard before the handgun has cleared the holster, let alone has been brought on target.  (BTW - the Flashbang appears to be a rigid piece of kydex.)

Brat Woman's Concealed Holster http://www.deepconceal.com/Women-s-Bra-Holster-p/brat.htm is a soft fabric version of the Flashbang.

The "Naturally Concealed" holster http://www.rural-revolution.com/2013/02/for-ladies-beauty-of-bra-holster.html is a pouch worn under the bustline.  I'm going to guess that it is all too easy to pull the handgun past 90* rotation while drawing, which also ends up pointing somewhere near your face.

The Concealed Carry Corset http://tacticalshit.com/ccw-holster-review-the-concealed-carry-corset/ appears to be more like an IWB holster.  Although drawing across the front does still endanger the girls.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »

Just be sure your sand has not settled into a hard plug.  I use a 3-gallon bucket filled with 2 1/2 gallons of sand.  Put the gamma top on, turn the bucket over a few times, take the gamma top off.  Learned my lesson one day when a shlub corrections officer thought "unloading barrel" was what you unloaded your ammo into - as in firing into it.  First ricochet hit him in the gut - he was standinng right in front of the 55-gallon barrel set at a 45* angle.  Second or third ricochet hit the warden's windshield when he jumped out of the way.  Numbers 4 - 6 went somewhere.  Not a single bullet - fired point blank - penetrated the plug of sand that had formed from standing out in the elements for probably years.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
"Leaving the gun in the car I understand, but why unload?"

Some jurisdictions (Denver, for example), require that the gun be unloaded in either a locked container or locked compartment in a locked car when unattended...variations on this theme exist from political enclave to political enclave, such as where you can stow the ammo.

This especially bothers me with autos, since even more manipulation is required to get that top round in the chamber for full capacity when you reload it because you have to pull the mag to top it off after chambering the first round, then reinsert it.

In addition, the act of closing the slide tends to push the bullet slightly deeper in the case with each reloading from the mag.  (~0.002", more or less, with one gun of mine.)

Terry
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:54:37 PM by 230RN »

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »

Great idea.  Unless you have cats.  =D
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »

Actually, I've seen them and seen them "modeled".  They are attached to the center of the bra and are angled up so the firey-death end is pointed at the wearer's brain-pan.   :O :O :O

One more reason I'm glad I'm a male.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
^^^Yeah, I have never gotten into the Thunderwear concept either.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »
Dads old buddy, Bubba, used to carry a Desert Eagle in his thunderwear.

I also never understood the appeal, although, less from a safety standpoint and more from a "that cannot be comfortable for anyone" standpoint.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:23 PM »
Great idea.  Unless you have cats.  =D

Note the handle
<<<<<<

Also, runny nose red eyed itchy allergies.

But I do like them.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24282

:O

stay safe.

Yeah, I should get 3 or 4 of those.  Once opened, I keep dog kibble in Homer buckets.  Those lids would be easier for the wife to remove when I'm not around.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 11:33:58 PM »
Yeah, I should get 3 or 4 of those.  Once opened, I keep dog kibble in Homer buckets.  Those lids would be easier for the wife to remove when I'm not around.

http://www.organization-store.com/charcoal-storage-container.html?cmpid=gpa&gclid=CjwKEAiA05unBRCymrGilanF9SwSJACqDFRm-se083BpkQjvr2Yu-Y8DVWYN-XvRsTJyBa0JZEH51BoC1OHw_wcB

I was thinking you could put kibble in there, but I guess you could also use it for a clearing barrel.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife