Author Topic: I knew he was a leftist when he said...  (Read 2352 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I knew he was a leftist when he said...
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:05:15 AM »
I knew he was a leftist when he said...

social justice - is there a kind that's not social?

moral authority - what does that mean?

assault weapons - as opposed to...?

Got any more?  We can also bring up phrases used by righties or libertarians.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: I knew he was a leftist when he said...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:26:03 AM »
fair share
expectation of security
The American people demand...
gun=nuke
It stands to reason...
Most people agree...
lift the third world out of poverty
fully-automatic revolver
progressive
world peace
for the children
for the greater good
needs of the many outweigh rights of the few

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 09:31:37 AM »
The 2nd Amendment is for the National Guard.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 10:20:26 AM »
living wage
universal health care
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 11:22:10 AM »
"Comparable worth"
"a woman's right to choose...."
"a woman's right to control her own body..."
"income redistribution"
"transfer payment"
"safety net"
"universal health care"
"nobody needs a(n) [assault weapon, flash hider, detachable magazine, bayonet lug, folding stock, 50 cal rifle, sniper rifle, more than 10 rounds, fully automatic] to [hunt, protect themself, target shoot]..."
"cop-killer bullets"
"razor-sharp petals"
"plastic guns that go right through metal detectors without setting them off..."
"Global warming is a settled issue..."
"What would Jesus Drive?" - (considereing He had 12 desciples, I'm thinking a 15 passenger van...) grin

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 11:38:05 AM »
... damn those rightists they are the cause of all the world's troubles, why here's a list (of all the nasty evil things they say)...
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 11:41:17 AM »
" . . . a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy . . ."

" . . . animals are people, too . . . "

"We're going to ask those more fortunate to contribute/share . . . " (Ask? And if they say no?)

" . . . reasonable gun control . . ."

" . . . teddy bears are regulated more than guns . . . "

" . . . diversity . . . "

"There's no bias in the media . . . "

Any ethnicity with a hyphen. (African-American, Asian-American, etc. See Teddy Roosevelt's words on hyphenated Americans.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 11:57:32 AM »
" . . . a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy . . ."
Was that Singer or Newkirk?

Any ethnicity with a hyphen. (African-American, Asian-American, etc. See Teddy Roosevelt's words on hyphenated Americans.)
The problem isn't the hyphenated names, it's how the left can't quit harping on the issue.  Sometimes we need a hyphen if we're talking about an American and their ancestry is important to the topic at hand.  The problem is that these long names are used as some sort of shiboleth to see if you're appropriately tolerant of other races.  As if African-American is more respectful than Black or Negro.*  Or Asian is more acceptable than Oriental, which simply means Eastern. 

*For some reason, Negro is a bad word, while Black is usually acceptable.  In reality, Black American is a more accurate term for most Negros in America.  The slaves weren't allowed to bring much of their culture with them, or have any connection to the old country after they arrived, the way other immigrants did.  So how African are they?  For that matter, an Egyptian-American is more African-American than the descendants of American slaves. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »
Reading this thread is making me nauseous, my skin crawl and my lip to curl up at the corner.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 12:56:16 PM »
Grampster, is it this thread or do you have the flu?

I also dislike the hyphenated ethnic labels. My mother's father was from England, her mother from Finland. My dad's father was also from England, his mother from Ireland. There's also some German in our ancestry.

So, as an English-Finnish-Irish-German-American, what demands can I make of my government?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »
So, as an English-Finnish-Irish-German-American, what demands can I make of my government?
None. You are obviously an oppressor.

My list:

-The working poor
-White flight
-Elderly people have to eat dog food to afford health care
-Balancing the budget on the backs of the.... (insert working poor, or middle class)

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 01:36:50 PM »
"Why do you need..."

"Don't you care about..."

"If it saves one life..."

"If we can put a man on the moon..."

"We should first try to reason with (insert dictator or criminal here)."

"A reasonable law to..."

"A reasonable first step to..."

"A common-sense approach to..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 02:02:14 PM »
Balancing the budget on the backs of the.... (insert working poor, or middle class)
It seems like the working class (like myself) get very little press these days.  Everybody's worried about the middle class.  I thought "middle class" meant you were doing well enough to get buy, even if George Bush gives a tax break to the rich at your expense. 

More:

We spend 8 trillion dollars a year on the military but only 20 billion per year on [some wasteful, marginally Constitutional program].

Speaking of the economy as if it were a zero-sum game, where no one ever changes their behavior to get around whatever the left is trying to push on them.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »
"...you're a...":
racist
fascist
homophobe
elitist
zionist

Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 03:48:20 PM »
working class (the rest of us don't work?)
for your own good (Both sides use that one. Like they know jack about what's good for me.)
Bushitler
D. R. ZINN

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 05:05:08 PM »
working class (the rest of us don't work?)

Hehehehe. Yes, that one is a classic. By that definition, Donald Trump, Warren Buffet, and Bill Gates are proletariat! Maybe only Paris Hilton is not. It just comes to show how stuck in early 1900s class-struggle terminology the leftists truly are.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 05:45:30 PM »
Leftists...Swmbo and I just got home from dinner and some fine Irish whiskey.  Redbreast.  My lawyer friend's wife is an unabashed liberal.  (Sorry, but liberal describes her, not in the classical sense but as we define it today...Er..put her face next to every definition posted before this post.)

I have known her for about 40 years.  During that time I have judged the way I have felt about issues a number of times and have softened, ameliorated or mitigated, or  yes, hardened my position as I gained knowledge.  She, on the other, hand remains entrenched in her ignorance throughout all those years.  There is no possibility of hoping that she might have an original thought.  Sad.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Warren

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 01:09:12 AM »
Well my feelings are...

Why do you need...

wage gap...

tech gap...

patriarchy....

violence never solves anything....

empower.....

speak truth to power.....(this one really grinds my gears)

white flight.....

performance art.....

womyn...

women's studies...

tolerence...(in the non-engineering sense)

gender-based

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 05:14:03 AM »
Anything referring to a "global litmus test."
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 05:49:45 AM »
tolerence...(in the non-engineering sense)
One of the most misunderstood words of our day.  Did you know you can't tolerate something unless you disapprove of it? 

"Cycle of violence" is good left-speak, but what about "the peace process"?  Is there such a thing?  I'm inclined to agree with Rush Limbaugh's view that the peace process involves the utter, military defeat of the enemy.   

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 08:18:14 AM »
Quote from: fistful
"Cycle of violence" is good left-speak, but what about "the peace process"?  Is there such a thing?  I'm inclined to agree with Rush Limbaugh's view that the peace process involves the utter, military defeat of the enemy.   

In the leftist mind, Neville Chamberlain had a "valid approach to world peace". I prefer Gen. George Patton's and Gen. Curtis LeMay's. I wonder what the leftists would do under the Nazis. Put on a beret, sip wine, and hide in a cheese cellar?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 03:22:49 PM »
"Eurocentric"

[quote author=fistful of dollars link=topic=4779.msg72163#msg72163 

*For some reason, Negro is a bad word, while Black is usually acceptable.  In reality, Black American is a more accurate term for most Negros in America.  The slaves weren't allowed to bring much of their culture with them, or have any connection to the old country after they arrived, the way other immigrants did.  So how African are they?  For that matter, an Egyptian-American is more African-American than the descendants of American slaves. 
[/quote]

I am sorry that "Negro" got such bad press.  It is a perfectly good word, cognate with other words in European languages for the same thing.  As mentioned there is nothing very "African" about these folks.
At our synagogue both the president and gabbai (sort of a choreographer of the service) are South Africans.  Both are American citizens.  THey both tend to sit in the front, so I joke that our synagogue has seats in the fronts for its African-American members.
I sometimes call myself a "Native American" since I was born here.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 05:12:40 PM »
"Ethnocentric"

always used as an insult, or a debate-ender.
D. R. ZINN

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 06:29:57 PM »
Rabbi, I'm glad to agree with you again.  It's been a little while.

Negro IS a perfectly good word.  Isn't that what Dr. King called himself?  Maybe Negro or Black are a little bit off-the-mark as this doesn't perfectly describe the skin tone, but isn't it close enough?  I don't mind being called White, though I ain't no vampire.  What annoys me is being called "Caucasian."  What do the Caucases have to do with me?  One more thing on that subject, I find it proper to capitalize Black, so I also capitalize White.  Every time I do, though, I have this funny feeling that only white supremacists do this.  I don't want to come off as a racist, but am I right that there is a double standard at work?

I also agree on "Native American."  I prefer "Aboriginal American." 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 05:19:11 AM »
Sometimes we need a hyphen if we're talking about an American and their ancestry is important to the topic at hand.  The problem is that these long names are used as some sort of shiboleth to see if you're appropriately tolerant of other races.  As if African-American is more respectful than Black or Negro.*  Or Asian is more acceptable than Oriental, which simply means Eastern.
Why do we need hypens if ancestry is important?

My family is Scottish on the maternal grandfather's side and English on the paternal grandfather's side. My mother, my father and I were all born in the United States. I'm an American. If for some reason it's important to a discussion to note that my ethnicity is Anglo, calling me an "Anglo-American" doesn't provide much specificity. "Scottish-American"? That omits my father's side of the family entirely. Plus, I've never been to Scotland and I don't speak, read or write Gaelic. I'm no more "Scottish" than most "African-Americans" are African.

What's wrong with using words as they were intended to be used, and saying that I am an American of Scottish and English ancestry? It conveys the information accurately, succinctly, and with no need for idiotic hypens.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design