Author Topic: Stroke Identification  (Read 1237 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Stroke Identification
« on: January 30, 2007, 07:12:50 PM »
Just got this in a chain mail type thing.  Sounds well enough, but thought I'd pass it by some of the more medically educated here before I trust someone's life to it.
STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and that she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of foo d. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hou rs, which is tough.
RECOGNIZING A STROKE
ThankGod for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
(Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

*NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their
tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other,
that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with
ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately !!anddescribe the
symptoms to the dispatcher.

What say you?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: Stroke Identification
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »
Sounds like mild b.s. to me. At best, the suggested tests are very limited in scope and some are also associated with non-CNS neurodamage. The results of the stroke will depend on location and may not be immediately apparent.

Btw, one of my aunts died of stroke and its subsequent complications. She knew when she was getting it, phoned a relative and complained of extremely strong headache and loss of equilibrium, and remained mostly conscious on the way to the hospital. At least she did not suffer for long.

MN_Strelok

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:26:07 PM »
It seems somewhat accurate, though I don't really like the sensational tone or the highly unlikely anecdote.

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

The quoted part has a kernel of truth with a load of BS wrapped around it. If someone is having an ischemic attack (i.e. lack of blood to the tissue) due to a blood clot, there are "clot buster" drugs that they can only administer within three hours of the onset. The drugs can reduce further ischemia. They are good stuff, but not some magical cure.

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
(Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

These loosely coincide with a few signs of a stroke as I was taught them: Drooping facial features on one side, slurred speech and pronator drift (raising one arm while the other hangs low). I've never heard of the tongue thing.

It wouldn't necessarily hurt to do the tests listed in the email, but it isn't a trustworthy way to diagnose either. If you have any reason to think someone has had a stroke your first step should be to call 911.

Also, like CAnnoneer said, the chief complaint of many stroke patients is a severe headache.

If you want the full "official" list of signs and symptoms, let me know and I'll post it.

Disclaimer: I am only an EMT. Nothing I say should ever be construed as medical advice. Any advice I have on caliber selection, however, can be trusted.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:36:47 PM »
Actually, while the story steems to be BS, the "test" for the signs/symptoms of a stroke are pretty good...

You may not see those signs/symptoms in EVERY stroke, but if you DO see those signs/symptoms, it is what we call a "high index of suspicion" for a stroke.

The classic sign of a stroke is hemiparesis.  That is a paralysis or weakening of one half of the body along a vertical line.  IE, the left or right side of the body will become weak or completely paralized. 

A pronounced facial droop one one side of the face, or the tongue sticking out to one side.  Also slurred speech.

The time frame for clinical intervention in stroke is also correct.  In the case of an ischemic stroke (caused by a clot or blockage in an artery) thrombolytics (clot busting drugs) must be administered within 3 hours.  But the "total" treatment is BS.  Brain cells begin to die off after 10 minutes of hypoxia.  However, by administering thrombolytics in a timely manner, the amount of damage can be limited as well as some restoration of function as compared to no treatment.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 02:12:26 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 06:35:29 AM »
Sounds like mild b.s. to me.
Ditto, I always assume chainmail is BS.  But this one kind of have more relevance in my life so I figured I'd get another opinion.

Actually, while the story steems to be BS, the "test"
I thought same thing.

And didn't even think of Snopes, thanks.

I think you've basically reinforced the conclusion I came to on my own:  Use as an aid but not to trust someone's life to it.
Thanks again.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.