Author Topic: Street panhandling as an income enhancer...  (Read 958 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Street panhandling as an income enhancer...
« on: November 04, 2021, 04:04:30 PM »
There's a busy corner a few blocks away that gets occupied by various urban outdoorsmen... Santa has considered making a sign - "Ho-in's Hard" - and doing a morning rush hour closer to the big night...

1) Is this tacky?

2) Should Santa do it?
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
Re: Street panhandling as an income enhancer...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 04:15:08 PM »
I've heard panhandling at a good corner can generate upwards of $80k cash - tax free cash - per year.

As for being tacky - do you really care about that if you're a panhandler?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 04:24:52 PM »
80K seems optimistic, unless it's a really good corner in NYC or San Fran.

The local (Tampa) news did a story about 5 years ago and interviewed a bunch of panhandlers locally.  The consensus was $20-$25 an hour was doable for the couple hours of rush hour, and $150 ish a day was pretty common.  Every panhandler they talked to had an apartment, and most had cars they used to get to good corners.

And yes, begging for money when you are able to work is tacky, whether you do it on a corner or on Gofundme.com.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 04:27:30 PM »
I've mentioned before in the panhandler threads that I used to watch a bum through my office window at the Santa Barbara Harbor. He would at least once through the day have to empty his money bucket so it looked empty again. It was Santa Barbara, so people were dropping bills in it, not change. I don't know how much he made every day, but it had to be at least $100-$200.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 04:37:52 PM »
Well, I guess there's always selling plasma...
Blog under construction

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 06:28:59 PM »
The other day I saw a beggar with his cash app ID scrawled on his cardboard sign.   ;/

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 07:27:14 PM »
My FIL has some well, garbage, siblings. They came to visit and stay with him for a few weeks over Christmas. He almost wrecked his truck when he saw them on the street corner panhandling just down the road from his work.

Over a two week period they had made $8k. In a modest smallish city.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 08:23:55 PM »
Keep in mind you might be taking someone else's corner. Don't wanna hafta shoot nobody. No, wait, maybe you do.  :P

Don't you think you could make more working part time at Big Lots for a few weeks?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 08:39:42 PM »
Keep in mind you might be taking someone else's corner. Don't wanna hafta shoot nobody. No, wait, maybe you do.  :P

Don't you think you could make more working part time at Big Lots for a few weeks?
IIRC Bogie is in a fairly good sized city.

So, no, he's not likely to make more at Big Lots.

Panhandlers can make serious bank.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
IIRC Bogie is in a fairly good sized city.

So, no, he's not likely to make more at Big Lots.

Panhandlers can make serious bank.

I remembered John Stossel did a TV special which addressed panhandlers - then I looked, and, sure enough, YouTube has part of it. At least one (female) panhandler was making around $50 an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHoiVnID8vY&ab_channel=JohnStossel
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 10:17:41 AM »
The local PD did an article on the local newspaper about female panhandlers at the freeway off ramps, and that in the evening they were turning tricks in the local WalMart parking lot. They estimated that the panhandling was bringing in $ 100-200 per day, but no estimate was given for the blowjobs at WalMart.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 11:30:58 AM »
The local PD did an article on the local newspaper about female panhandlers at the freeway off ramps, and that in the evening they were turning tricks in the local WalMart parking lot. They estimated that the panhandling was bringing in $ 100-200 per day, but no estimate was given for the blowjobs at WalMart.
That is an odd thing for the PD to advertise.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 12:35:31 PM »

There was a lot of concern given that there were two visibly pregnant panhandlers at one of the main city intersections.  Police and social services were being called frequently to provide assistance.  It turns out that both of them were not actually pregnant, but were wearing a fake pregnancy belly to create sympathy and more cash handouts.  Due to state law, the police cannot really do anything about panhandling. So the article was to address the concerns of the community, encourage people to not give money to them, and to inform about the increasing panhandling traffic and associated crime in the general area. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
There was a lot of concern given that there were two visibly pregnant panhandlers at one of the main city intersections.  Police and social services were being called frequently to provide assistance.  It turns out that both of them were not actually pregnant, but were wearing a fake pregnancy belly to create sympathy and more cash handouts. 
:O
Next you'll be telling me that not all the 40 year old panhandlers claiming to be Vietnam vets are being completely honest!

Due to state law, the police cannot really do anything about panhandling. So the article was to address the concerns of the community, encourage people to not give money to them, and to inform about the increasing panhandling traffic and associated crime in the general area.
Sure, telling folks that their night gig is getting giggity-giggity is one thing, but it seems like directing interested customers where to find them might not be necessary.

"So in conclusion, these ladies are also available at a very reasonable rate for oral sex from the hours of 9pm to 3am in the south lot of Walmart across from where the automotive entrance is.  Park over by the bushes and honk twice."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »

The more the girls make the bigger their cut is.
Advertising works.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams