Author Topic: Strangest Festival: Frozen Dead Guy Days  (Read 699 times)

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
Strangest Festival: Frozen Dead Guy Days
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:41:29 AM »
What do you think? Is this the strangest festival you ever heard of? It is held in a small mountain town in Colorado just down the road from my home. 

This is a real festival with competitive events, posters and official merchandise:

http://www.nederlandchamber.org/FrozenDeadGuyDays/FDGD.Previous.htm

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/CP-FrozenDeadGuy.html

Nederland, Colorado, a picturesque little town about 45 miles northwest of Denver claims more than just quaintness, beauty, and the ruggedness of the Rocky Mountains to draw thousands of visitors.  It also is home to Grandpa Bredo Morstoel, more commonly known as The Frozen Dead Guy.

Morstoel died on November 6, 1989 while at the familys mountain retreat in Norway and was immediately packed in ice before making the long trip to Los Angeles, California, where he was cryogenically prepped and frozen.  Morstoels grandson, Trygve Bauge decided that his grandfather should have the opportunity of potential immorality and made the arrangements for his grandfather.

Bredo was kept at the Institute, while Trygve searched for a suitable place to store frozen bodies. Grandpa Morstoel remained at the California institute until 1993, when his body was packed in dry ice, shipped to Nederland, Colorado, and stored in a garden shed.

Yet another reason to be worried about global warming. Buy carbon credits to save grandpa.

Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Strangest Festival: Frozen Dead Guy Days
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »
Trygve Bauge decided that his grandfather should have the opportunity of potential immorality and made the arrangements for his grandfather.
So, why didn't he just take Grampa to a bordello?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »
Ahhh... Colorful Colorado.  Home of frozen dead guys, cannibals and television aliens.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
Sindawe,

I had forgotten that years ago I saw the Al Packer cookbook for sale at a gas station in SW Colorado. I wish I had looked at it now. I may skip dinner tonight.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.