Author Topic: Take your ball and go home? We'll tax that!  (Read 3592 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Take your ball and go home? We'll tax that!
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:58:06 AM »
So in recognition of businesses leaving states unfriendly to business....well...let's just make a law against that!
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.1832:
 :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:03:51 AM by adively »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Take your ball and go home? We'll tax that!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »
???

FedGuv has no Constitutional Authority to enforce taxes that are not FedGuv taxes.

This is all about interstate sales/use taxes, and allowing a State to audit a business located in a different State.

Total 10th Amendment violation.

CA has no authority to audit Monkeyleg's business in AL. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:37:15 AM »
???

FedGuv has no Constitutional Authority to enforce taxes that are not FedGuv taxes.

This is all about interstate sales/use taxes, and allowing a State to audit a business located in a different State.

Total 10th Amendment violation.

CA has no authority to audit Monkeyleg's business in AL. 

10th amendment? Ha!  We scoff at your old outdated piece of hemp paper!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:58:35 AM »
Its only a matter of time before there will be civil forfeitures, if not criminal penalties for quitting your job without a permission slip from .gov, because the tax dollars you produce are needed to pay for those who don't/won't work.

I have a feeling that obamacare is going to be a game changer in ways people never even thought of.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »
Its only a matter of time before there will be civil forfeitures, if not criminal penalties for quitting your job without a permission slip from .gov, because the tax dollars you produce are needed to pay for those who don't/won't work.

I have a feeling that obamacare is going to be a game changer in ways people never even thought of.

Because lately I have great difficulty differentiating real life from The Onion and Dystopian fiction, did or does some country or another already have something like this, where you don't leave your job?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
JJ,
Linky no worked for me.  I edited your post to and the url tag.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
Because lately I have great difficulty differentiating real life from The Onion and Dystopian fiction, did or does some country or another already have something like this, where you don't leave your job?

If I recall correctly, this was the case at some point in the soviet union.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »

Directive 10-289 from Atlas Shrugged comes to mind.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »
Ah, here we go:

Later, the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet, 26 June 1940 "On the Transfer to the Eight-Hour Working Day, the Seven-day Work Week, and on the Prohibition of Unauthorized Departure by Laborers and Office Workers from Factories and Offices"[3] replaced the 1938 revisions with obligatory criminal penalties for quitting a job (2–4 months imprisonment), for being late 20 minutes (6 months of probation and pay confiscation of 25 per cent), etc.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Soviet_Union_%281927%E2%80%931953%29

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »

It doesn't take satire or even a great oracle to come up with these things.
Take the worst possible policy position that you can imagine and there's already a good chance that obama/pelosi/reid already have it on their to do list with boehner waiting in the wings already ready to reluctantly agree to.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 01:59:57 PM »
Two kids fight over a toy.  One kid intentionally breaks it out of selfishness so the other kid can't have it.
This is your standard tantrum being thrown by leftist idiots who refuse to accept the workings of a free market.  They make bad policy.  There is a backlash, so they make the policy mandatory or the backlash illegal. 
Liberalism: Ideas so good, they must be mandatory!
JD

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
I see this failing quickly for one big reason...internet sales.  Even the most liberal of people likes to use Amazon to fnd the best deal on their goods, rather than having to drive all the way to Wally World to buy it themselves. 

Seriously, if you add sales tax and shipping to a purchase, the benefit of Amazon and other internet sales vanishes quickly.  Watch who yells about it this time (I hope, unless they're too busy watching the new Bear Grylls show).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
I see this failing quickly for one big reason...internet sales.  Even the most liberal of people likes to use Amazon to fnd the best deal on their goods, rather than having to drive all the way to Wally World to buy it themselves. 

Seriously, if you add sales tax and shipping to a purchase, the benefit of Amazon and other internet sales vanishes quickly.  Watch who yells about it this time (I hope, unless they're too busy watching the new Bear Grylls show).

I haven't read the bill yet.  Synopsis I heard, taking with a grain of salt, is that it's directed at businesses that move out of state due to regulations and taxation.
JD

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
I haven't read the bill yet.  Synopsis I heard, taking with a grain of salt, is that it's directed at businesses that move out of state due to regulations and taxation.

Skimming it, I only see reference to sales and use tax, and deliberately not allowing the chasing of interstate state level corporate taxes.

(a) In General- Nothing in this Act shall be construed as--

(1) subjecting a seller or any other person to franchise, income, occupation, or any other type of taxes, other than sales and use taxes,

(2) affecting the application of such taxes, or

(3) enlarging or reducing State authority to impose such taxes.
--Lysander Spooner

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »
 :facepalm:

gotta love pundits, right?

Still looks like a shitty bill.  It's another version of the internet sales tax.

(C) Require remote sellers and single and consolidated providers to collect sales and use taxes pursuant to the applicable destination rate, which is the sum of the applicable State rate and any applicable rate for the local jurisdiction into which the sale is made.

JD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
Skimming it, I only see reference to sales and use tax, and deliberately not allowing the chasing of interstate state level corporate taxes.

Same here - though there's little doubt that some in .gov would LIKE to prevent companies from moving around; the NLRB tried to prevent the opening of a new Boeing facility in South Carolina on the grounds that it was "unfair" to the union workforce on the Left Coast. (NLRB backed off from the political fallout, but tried to save face by saying that the new Boeing contract with the union made their action unnecessary.)

Hmmm . . . isn't there some Federal law or regulation saying that a person who leaves the USA and renounces their citizenship is still supposed to pay US taxes for 10 years after leaving? Unless they have assets tied to the USA (Social Security payments, pension from US company, etc.) this seems unenforceable unless the person comes back sometime.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
. . . isn't there some Federal law or regulation saying that a person who leaves the USA and renounces their citizenship is still supposed to pay US taxes for 10 years after leaving? Unless they have assets tied to the USA (Social Security payments, pension from US company, etc.) this seems unenforceable unless the person comes back sometime.

Drones  :police:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »

The bill has probably already been written, just waiting for the right crisis to not let go to waste.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
Take it to the next level... can't move to a new state, because of tax issues.  Can't quit to pursue education for the same reason.  Can't have another kid because of the deduction.  Get creative, andbthere could be no end.  At this rate, I'll be out of foil before we get to the districts and the annual Hunger Games event run by The Capital.   =D
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark