Author Topic: New Blackberry, old eyes  (Read 1554 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
New Blackberry, old eyes
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »
I just received a new Blackberry from Sprint, and I realize even more now how wide the chasm is between me and the younger generation raised on these things.

For starters, do young people have miniature fingers? The buttons on this are about the size of rice kernels. I almost need a toothpick to push them.

That assumes, of course, that I can even see the darn things. I need a magnifying glass.

Further complicating matters is the layout of the keys, which is not identical to a keyboard, so I'm searching for letters. It would have taken me half an hour to type this post on the Blackberry.

From reading manual #1 of 18, it looks like this does everything except the laundry. I just need it to make phone calls and work as a modem. I'm sure I'll have those two tasks learned by 2012.

It's a conspiracy, I tell you. A conspiracy to drive a wedge further between the 50-somethings like me and the 20-somethings who text away as fast as they can talk.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: New Blackberry, old eyes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:17:29 AM »
My preacher-guy has the Crackberry addiction pretty badly.  He's early-fifties, and has learned to use his pretty well.  If that helps. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:26:52 AM »
Pro tip:  Use the side of your finger nail to push the buttons.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 03:22:02 AM »
You might be over-thinking the keyboard thing.  Just mash away and see what happens.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »
The size of those things should have been obvious in the first place.... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: chris3

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »
The size of those things should have been obvious in the first place....

I knew they were small, but I'd only seen the Blackberry on the internet, where there was nothing with which to judge scale. Besides, if those young whippersnappers could do it so easily, so could I, right? ;)

I guess my attempts at humor aren't as thinly veiled as I thought.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:26:22 AM by Monkeyleg »

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »
Just the portion between the joint and the tip of my two thumbs together is enough finger to completely cover the entire keyboard on my phone, yet I am able to type quite quickly with few errors.

The people who designed the phone are smarter than you think.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
Can we restrict Monkeyleg to only posting on APS through his Blackberry for the next few weeks? I'm sure that would up his learning curve immensely.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
Can we restrict Monkeyleg to only posting on APS through his Blackberry for the next few weeks? I'm sure that would up his learning curve immensely.  =)

No, I think it would probably give me a lower recent post count than Paddy. ;)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »
No, I think it would probably give me a lower recent post count than Paddy. ;)
Second.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I promise not to duck.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »
Which BlackBerry is it?  My Curve has the letters in exactly the same places as on a keyboard, and the shift and alt keys are close enough where you get used to it after a day or two.  Some of the symbols are in odd places, though--it took me about a year to remember the @ key was Alt+P.

As for typing on it, I use the side and sometimes a bit of the pad of my thumbs to type.  My speed goes way down if I use my nails.  In fact, this is kind of gross/sad, but I'm a lot better at remembering to trim my nails in a timely fashion since I got my blackberry.  Even a little bit of white showing on the nail is enough to get in my way and slow my typing.

You didn't ask for app recommendations, but if you use Facebook and Twitter, apply for the Socialscope beta now.  There was a really long waiting list when I signed up, and there probably still is, but it's the best program out there for checking status on those two social sites.  I've also found QuickLaunch to be a godsend.  You can set QL to one of your side buttons, and then assign letter shortcuts to just about anything your phone can do.

As a few examples, I can hit B on the homescreen (turn off dial from homescreen in your options) to load up the browser, then click menu, then click bookmarks, then click Google Reader.  Or, with QL, I can hit my right side key, then B, and that sends me straight to the site.

To text my brother, I can hit A for the address book, then type in the first few letters of his name, then hit the menu key, then click on send SMS.  Or I can hit sidekey+C and it goes straight to our text history and I can type right from there.

If you're in to podcasts at all, PodTrapper is seriously worth the money.

And I'm not sure if Sprint allows it (Verizon only finally did a few weeks ago), but the Skype application is awesome.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »
I got a BB curve a few months ago. My first text/email/internet capable phone.
I have come to love the texts, the old lady can ask me a question and I can ignore her until I've got a free moment. Before she would just call, always at the worst times. Not having to worry about if I checked the email is also great(it comes to the phone).
Half the crap on this phone I never use, you'll probably be the same. I can find an address quicker using my handy dandy map book than I can type an address into my phone..

I went and bought a 4gb memory card and loaded up with some shows. Now whenever I have to wait in a tardy customers driveway I watch some tv.  (or browse places like APS)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 05:51:11 PM »
This here's what I want.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 06:18:19 PM »
Same here, Lee N. Field. It's too bad you can't get features a la carte.

Years ago I needed to rent a 35mm camera with a fast motor drive (9 frames per second) and auto zoom. The only one with those two features had about 10,000 other features. The manual was two inches thick, and it took me two weeks of study and practice to become proficient enough with the camera to use it on the assignment.

Just for the hell of it I tried the GPS navigation device. The route went about five to ten blocks north of where it should, then headed south again.  ???

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 06:34:53 AM »
there are "avoidances" on gps recivers. some of me(ie mine :facepalm:) go crazy if you turn on u-turns and will avoid any turn that looks sharp. there's a sharp s-curve(think Laguna Seca corkscrew and your just past it. =D) on the way to my uncle's place and it tries to take me half an hour around. :mad: just something to try if you get another chance. [popcorn]

http://gpsmagazine.com/2007/04/garmin_nuvi_250_indepth_review.php?page=6
Figure 65: Route Preferences

There are three Route Preference settings to choose from: "Faster Time", "Shorter Distance" and "Off Road". In my testing I found "Faster Time" almost always chose the best route.

Avoidances are things you want the GPS to avoid making you do. There are six defined "Avoidances" to choose from:

* U-Turns
    * Highways
    * Toll Roads
    * Ferries
    * Carpool Lanes
    * Unpaved Roads

By default, U-Turns and Unpaved Roads are marked for avoidance. Selecting an avoidance means the GPS will avoid making that maneuver, or taking that type of road. For example, if you wanted to avoid highways on a given trip, you could select "Highways" under Avoidances and the nuvi will route you to your destination without using highways.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
Okay, I've had some time to play with the thing. It's pretty cool. I wanted a headset and wound up buying a Bluetooth. That's pretty cool, too. Plus the Blackberry works really well as a cellular modem.

I'm turning into AJDual.  :O

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »
Nah, yer just getting old in your slow age.

I'd recommend getting rid of all "young person things" (AJ and I would be happy to watch over your guns, Harley, and Mustang) until you can find a treatment for your old-timer's... :P
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)