Author Topic: Welcome to rural living  (Read 7981 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Welcome to rural living
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 08:25:19 AM »
I am finding despite my efforts with the file guide and what not,
sharpening a home depot chainsaw blade
must cut thru the hardened part of the tooth
as i am too soon again running a dull blade
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
Just because you don't know anyone who's needy right now, don't discount that some folks might be.  Worth checking into IMHO if he wants to move the wood off his land.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 09:18:18 AM »
I've got a file.  Whether I'm using it correctly is another matter.

Those logs took about an hour, total.  That included about 10 minutes between them to roll them over after getting ~60% through the diameter at each section.  Plus some short breather breaks (I was tired from the splitting and stacking earlier today - not used to this manual labor stuff, but getting there).

I guess I keep forgetting not everyone has a Stihl 046 with a 30" bar...  =|

It does sometimes help to not cut all the way thru and then roll the log over, so as not to get your chain in the dirt.

It shouldn't be that hard to learn to sharpen if you do it before the cutting edge of the teeth are all mangled and chipped.  Basically, you just follow the factory angles.  Every once in a while you need to flat file the rakers(depth guage) also.

For firewood, I figure sharpening for each tank of gas, or even more if you hit the dirt.  Logging I could usually go longer than that because you're not doing such an insane amount of bucking, plus usually not dealing with dry and dirty wood.

The saw should cut with minimal pressure and spit out big chips, not sawdust.  If you're getting sawdust, then your chain is really dull.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 11:10:43 AM »
I guess I keep forgetting not everyone has a Stihl 046 with a 30" bar...  =|

It's a Husqvarna 310 with a 20" bar (I think).

It does sometimes help to not cut all the way thru and then roll the log over, so as not to get your chain in the dirt.

That was the idea.  They were way too heavy to get up on top of another log.

It shouldn't be that hard to learn to sharpen if you do it before the cutting edge of the teeth are all mangled and chipped.  Basically, you just follow the factory angles.  Every once in a while you need to flat file the rakers(depth guage) also.

For firewood, I figure sharpening for each tank of gas, or even more if you hit the dirt.  Logging I could usually go longer than that because you're not doing such an insane amount of bucking, plus usually not dealing with dry and dirty wood.

The saw should cut with minimal pressure and spit out big chips, not sawdust.  If you're getting sawdust, then your chain is really dull.

After trying to sharpen I'm getting small chips, call them slightly longer than wide, with the width the size of the kerf.  SWMBO had taken the saw in to get it working after my dad gave it to us.  Turned out to have a cracked fuel line.  I'm sure I could have figured that out, but I was too busy with other things to bother.  Anyway, we'd asked for a new chain to be put on while it was there.  Instead they sharpened the existing one.  It was producing beautiful long ribbons after that sharpening. 
Formerly sumpnz

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »
IMO-That wood is really useful.   Cut it and store it- and get a stove.  Where we live we are out of power at least a few times every winter- so far three days and a bit this winter. The stove is real handy for any sort of emergency. Of course it can create it's own emergency too. ! Maple is good to burn, alder ok, personally, I do not like the evergreens-too much pitch.  Lots of folks burn it though.

Tallpine, we used to use big saws out on the Olympic Pen. to cut shake bolts- usually around a 48" bar powered by an 095 or some big old Mac.. And had to go in from both sides to break the rounds out- The fun part though was cruising the woods looking for the old wood. We were salvage cutting before the fallers moved in, looking for big old down cedar.  Walk all day in the forest looking around with a thermos and sandwich-hard to take! 
   Once I was walking along in a virgin stand of old growth, saw on one shoulder, gas and oil on the other, and a bunch of sling ropes (we were flying out the bolts with a chopper)  and fell into a huge hole- it was where a stump had rotted out and drifted over with leaves and needles-a perfect mantrap.  Fortunately it was only 6 feet deep or so =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »
Just because you don't know anyone who's needy right now, don't discount that some folks might be.  Worth checking into IMHO if he wants to move the wood off his land.

I'm just trying to come to grips with this idea (which someone suggested) of people who heat with wood also being the sort that are too lazy to haul off some free wood that they really, really needed. It's quite a labor-intensive way to heat your home, (and not all that common) so how many people like that are going to be heating with wood, anyway?

Entirely possible, of course. Just sayin.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
there are several dozen near here.  local church has a deal with tree companiews teen labor and guys like me to cut split and deliver to those in need
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »
Man, I really need to cruise the pawn shops for a used Stihl or Jonsered.  Something with moderate heft, not one of the tiny jobs a climber would take up the tree.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 06:05:21 PM »
there are several dozen near here.  local church has a deal with tree companiews teen labor and guys like me to cut split and deliver to those in need

And they're too lazy to do any of the work themselves?

• friends
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »
well the one guys in a wheel chair so i guess its tough to bootstrap himself up.  couple widow ladies in there 70's.   shucks some of these folks don't have wheels or indoor plumbing for that matter.  having met them there are none i would characterize as lazy. that meeting them thing does that.  now if i was speculating blindly over the internet about something i knew lil about that would be different. i could probably call em lazy, at least on the internet. one of those old ladies would probably tear an arm off and beat you to death with it if someone grew gnads enough to call her lazy to her face. sides she makes great cookies .
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
Man, I really need to cruise the pawn shops for a used Stihl or Jonsered.  Something with moderate heft, not one of the tiny jobs a climber would take up the tree.

try arboristsite.com.  they have saws for sale  how big a bar you wanna pull?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
well the one guys in a wheel chair so i guess its tough to bootstrap himself up.  couple widow ladies in there 70's.   shucks some of these folks don't have wheels or indoor plumbing for that matter.  having met them there are none i would characterize as lazy.

Kinda what I thought. My gramps was in his seventies when he started to need help working up firewood. He was lucky to have a tree removal guy just dump stuff in his back yard, but they were some awfully big hunks of lumber.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:49:16 PM by Fistful »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »
Those logs took about an hour, total.  That included about 10 minutes between them to roll them over after getting ~60% through the diameter at each section.  Plus some short breather breaks (I was tired from the splitting and stacking earlier today - not used to this manual labor stuff, but getting there).

Would a peavey help?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
Would a peavey help?

A cant dog is a great thing to have, but you don't absolutely need one...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Kinda what I thought. My gramps was in his seventies when he started to need help working up firewood. He was lucky to have a tree removal guy just dump stuff in his back yard, but they were some awfully big hunks of lumber.

i think you'd like the system  the tree guys like it  saves em dump fees  theres a group of chainsaw junkies who cut em to length and we use from 2 to 6 splitters depending on how many teens show up.  we can really move some wood. i'm building a conveyor so we can load my dumpbed. take a group of teens with us to stack after we dump. it gets a lot done without killing anyone. though the my saw is bigger /sharper/faster is funny

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »
The frozen hedge was throwing some sparks this afternoon. I need to remember to cut them down to size before winter. Loading 6-8 footers in the trailer is getting a little hard on the body anyway.

If you think you can get a half cord in one of those flat rate boxes you can send some my way.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
Would a peavey help?

Yes, that would have helped.  But I don't think it would have been worth taking time/money to source.  Only 2 logs that I really would have needed that.  And a 2x4 as a lever worked well enough.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:58 PM »
Looked up some info too on replacing one of the gas fireplaces with a stove or insert.  Looks like, unless mine are installed significantly differently from normal it would be prohibitivly expensive to put in an insert.  A free-standing stove might work without too much expense.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2010, 01:18:47 AM »

You can get a new Husqvarna with a 20" bar and plenty of HP for around $400.

I'm probably getting that saw in then next month or two, might get the model below it. I cut hardwood for firewood, got two ash trees to cut up for 2012 wood, I only cut about a cord a year.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »
???

What, you can't use regular old wood in a barbecue grill?  Must it always be pre-manufactured store-boughten charcoal?

Seems to me there's a thing called campfire cooking.  Only difference here would be that the firepit is four feet off the ground.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:05:15 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 09:08:45 AM »
???

What, you can't use regular old wood in a barbecue grill?  Must it always be pre-manufactured store-boughten charcoal?

Seems to me there's a thing called campfire cooking.  Only difference here would be that the firepit is four feet off the ground.

Terry, 230RN

Sure, as long as you don't mind waiting 4 times as long for usable coals to appear.  I didn't see what type of wood was being cut, but if it's pine, popular, etc, it won't be particularly good for cooking (pine and popular impart bad flavors to food cooked directly over it).

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 09:13:35 AM »
well the one guys in a wheel chair so i guess its tough to bootstrap himself up.  couple widow ladies in there 70's.   shucks some of these folks don't have wheels or indoor plumbing for that matter.  having met them there are none i would characterize as lazy. that meeting them thing does that.  now if i was speculating blindly over the internet about something i knew lil about that would be different. i could probably call em lazy, at least on the internet. one of those old ladies would probably tear an arm off and beat you to death with it if someone grew gnads enough to call her lazy to her face. sides she makes great cookies .

I dunno....they sound pretty lazy to me.... ;/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”