Author Topic: Where to buy a replacement phone battery?  (Read 481 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Where to buy a replacement phone battery?
« on: May 01, 2023, 02:53:58 PM »
The battery in my Moto E6 cellphone has been getting weak for a couple of months, and now it is swelling up.  The battery is user-accessible and replaceable in this model.  It takes a KE40 battery.  I assume all the batteries on Amazon are counterfeit, and the ones on eBay or from my cell service provider are either counterfeit or very old stock.  I searched on motorola.com and they don't sell them.

Do I just take my chances on a $15 battery from Amazon with its fake CE ratings and hope it doesn't burst into flames in my pocket?

Batteries Plus has a replacement Chinese battery in this size for $35.  (the original battery was made in China but probably had real certifications)  The picture on their website says it's Cameron Sino brand.  Anybody heard of them?

I don't need or want a new phone, just a battery for my 2 year old one.  Why is this so difficult?
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Where to buy a replacement phone battery?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 04:14:27 PM »
Try one of these guys:

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/all-battery-center-locations/minnesota

Locally (Arvada Colorado)  I've been happy with them for many years.   And if the batterry from them is abgefukt, you have someone local to deal with.

Just recently they changed a watch battery for me for $8, battery included, while I waited, about ten minutes.

They also have a good inventory of things related to batteries.  Fun store to browse in.

Terry. 230RN

REF ("Mine," in Colorado):
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/locations/all-battery-center-arvada-co
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 04:23:09 PM »
Why is this so difficult?

It's a feature, not a bug.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 05:39:16 PM »
Try one of these guys:

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/all-battery-center-locations/minnesota

Locally (Arvada Colorado)  I've been happy with them for many years.   And if the batterry from them is abgefukt, you have someone local to deal with.

Just recently they changed a watch battery for me for $8, battery included, while I waited, about ten minutes.

They also have a good inventory of things related to batteries.  Fun store to browse in.

Terry. 230RN

REF ("Mine," in Colorado):
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/locations/all-battery-center-arvada-co

Batteries Plus is a local store like that; I've about made up my mind to go there JIC something goes wrong. (thanks for the vocabulary lesson, "abgefukt" is a very cromulent word that I had never heard before :lol: )   The nearest Interstate AB store is 60 miles away. 
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 05:58:48 PM »
I had good luck with BatteriesPlus when I still lived in Oregon.  Specifically, it was the store in Salem.  I used them both for batteries for work and for personal stuff.  They stood behind their products.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 07:13:25 PM »
Does the manufacturer or your service provider sell the batteries?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 07:24:14 PM »
Does the manufacturer or your service provider sell the batteries?

No, they don't  :mad:  I checked with another service provider who also used this model phone but they just wanted to switch me to their carrier and give me a new cheap phone -- but they don't have a plan as good as what I have already unless I buy 2 lines.  (I just need one line)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 05:53:54 AM »
Ah, the glories of programmed obsolescence. Wonderful.

That said, I've had very good success in purchasing replacement phone batteries from Amazon back when Samsung had phones for which you could replace the battery. It just took some time to sort through all of the obvious knockoffs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 10:58:28 AM »
Batteries Plus is out of the battery I need; none in the warehouse and no expected date for them to get more.  I ordered an aftermarket battery from Newegg for $27.  It seemed safer than the sketchy $15 batteries with a blurry picture of an OEM Motorola battery at Amazon.  I'll know in about a week.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2023, 11:33:54 AM »
If it's on fire when you open the box, no good.

If it's only smoking, you're good to go!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 02:35:04 PM »
Battery got here today, which confused the hell out of me because it came in an Amazon box (I didn't buy it from Amazon), and when I checked the tracking status this morning it said a tracking label had been generated but hadn't been picked up by the carrier yet.

Anyway, the OEM battery is rated 2820 mAh and the new one says it's a high capacity battery rated 3200 mAh.  I assume that's Chinese mAhs , ;) but the battery is slightly thicker than the original was before it puffed up so maybe it really is an honest 3000, or even 3200 (I doubt 3200.)  It's tight but it fits, the back went back on okay, and the new battery has 61% charge.  I'm going to discharge it down until the phone shuts off at 10% or so, then fully charge it and see what the AccuBattery app says about it.  The old battery was shutting down at anywhere from 35% to 49% so I couldn't get it below 15% where AccuBattery could figure out the capacity, but even w/o that it said the old battery was down to about 1800 mAh so it was probably considerably less.

I may put the phone in a steel ammo box with sand in the bottom the first time I charge it in case it catches fire.  :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 08:15:45 AM »
So, you die in a cell-phone-battery induced house fire yet?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 09:46:57 AM »
So, you die in a cell-phone-battery induced house fire yet?

Yes.  How'd you know?   :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 10:11:58 AM »
Cool! Dibs on all of your stuff!

Well, the stuff that isn't charred.