Author Topic: The real reason President Trump won  (Read 1511 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The real reason President Trump won
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/uw-professor-got-it-right-on-trump-so-why-is-he-being-ignored/

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/reports/2016-elections

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/

It wasn't the economy, it was anxiety over Black, Mexican and Muslim people.  Note that this study is not a creation of the liberal MSM, but of groups across the political spectrum.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: The real reason President Trump won
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
All studies reflect the bias of the people who put together the study. IMHO, it isn't valid to separate "the economy" from issues of immigration. And to lump Blacks, Mexicans (or latinos in general), and Muslims together and just label it "racism" is far beyond even being an over-simplification. It's a deliberate obfuscation.

• Mainstream Americans are concerned about Blacks because of the violence growing out of the Black Lives Matter movement.
  • Mainstream Americans are concerned about illegal Mexicans (and latinos) because they're consuming benefits that we are paying for, they are taking jobs that American workers need, and they are sending large sums of money out of the U.S. economy into the economies of their native countries.
  • Mainstream Americans are concerned about Muslims because of the VERY real threat of Islamist terrorism, and the fact that self-proclaimed peaceful or "moderate" Muslims are barely even paying lip service to combating terrorism in the name of their religion.

Multiple concerns, all revolving around "foreigners," but very different concerns. And at least one is directly tied to "the economy."

KEY FINDINGS
• This analysis finds five unique clusters of Trump voters: American
Preservationists (20%), Staunch Conservatives (31%), Anti-Elites (19%), Free
Marketeers (25%), and the Disengaged (5%).
• There is no such thing as “one kind of Trump voter” who voted for him for one
single reason. Many voted with enthusiasm for Trump while others held their
noses and voted against Hillary Clinton.
• Trump voters hold very different views on a wide variety of issues including
immigration, race, American identity, moral traditionalism, trade, and economics.
• Four issues distinguish Trump voters from non-Trump voters: attitudes toward
Hillary Clinton, evaluations of the economy, views about illegal immigration, and
views about and Muslim immigration.

"There is no such thing as 'one kind of Trump voter'. ... Many voted with enthusiasm for Trump while others held their
noses and voted against Hillary Clinton
."

I suspect there were a LOT among the "He's not Hillary" group. That certainly seems to be the case among APS members.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:59:32 AM »
Pretty much agree with Hawkmoon. That professor is vastly over-simplifying, or else has a grant.

Did some people vote for Trump for what he outlined? Absolutely. Did some people partially consider them? Likely. However, labeling them as primary causes of the majority is nothing more than "Those crackers that hug their guns and their bibles" and "stupid, uninformed flyover country voters".

Did I consider Mexicans when deciding who to vote for? Yes. ILLEGAL Mexicans. And illegal anybody. Legal immigrants from anywhere did not make it into my equation. More important to me were preserving my rights (guns, fishing, hunting, using forest service land, using my own damn property), my money, (i.e., taxes), and who that was running would be most likely to leave me the hell alone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
Trump did better among black and Hispanics did than Romney did... and worse with whites.  If he was trying to appeal to racism, he did a pretty sorry job.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »

Did I consider Mexicans when deciding who to vote for? Yes. ILLEGAL Mexicans. And illegal anybody. Legal immigrants from anywhere did not make it into my equation. More important to me were preserving my rights (guns, fishing, hunting, using forest service land, using my own damn property), my money, (i.e., taxes), and who that was running would be most likely to leave me the hell alone.

Ditto.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »
Err... his "analysis" completely disregards the Obama-Trump voters, who were the reason Trump won.*

*(Because the election was so close, EVERY demographic group that he won was the reason Trump won. Except maybe midget hookers. I don't think they were large enough to push him over the top.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »
Another study/analysis/report/blood-libel saying that Republican voters are white racists? Must be a Thursday.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:52:15 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.....I thought the only reason Trump won was because the Russians took over the voting machines and Comey got the FBI to protect the Russian hackers while they did it. :'(
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
Wait, wait, wait.....I thought the only reason Trump won was because the Russians took over the voting machines and Comey got the FBI to protect the Russian hackers while they did it. :'(

I hates them furriners! Putin for POTUS!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
My layman's observation is that Trump won because he's not Hillary Clinton. I think Trump would have had a tougher race against Sanders.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »
My layman's observation is that Trump won because he's not Hillary Clinton. I think Trump would have had a tougher race against Sanders.

I think Trumo would have lost against Bernie Sanders. His message just resonates with young people. I know that a lot of people my own were enamored with him. He had an appeal that Hillary Clinton will never have. But alas, the Democrats *expletive deleted*ed up and now have to whine about it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 10:25:41 PM »
Trump versus Sanders would have been an interesting match-up -- outsider versus outsider. After all, Sanders was basically an avowed Independent, who "caucused" with the Democrats (whatever that means). He wasn't a "real" Democrat, just as Trump wasn't/isn't a "real" Republican.

And that's why, even though the Republicans now control both house of Congress and the White House, they haven't accomplished anything. Because Trump isn't a "real" Republican,m they're willing to squander their control of the government just to stick it to Trump, because he's not one of them.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 09:16:31 PM »
Sanders is no more an "outsider" then Hillary was.  He's been in elected office since 1981 and in Congress since 1991.   And in 27 years in Congress he's managed to get 7 bills passed.  3 of which involve naming post offices, and
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 09:30:25 PM »
I think Trumo would have lost against Bernie Sanders. His message just resonates with young people. I know that a lot of people my own were enamored with him. He had an appeal that Hillary Clinton will never have. But alas, the Democrats *expletive deleted*ed up and now have to whine about it.

That's why I was rooting for her in the primaries. Not so much so that Trump would win, but just because I assumed she would lose. Bill she is not.