Author Topic: Coyote concern update  (Read 5019 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Coyote concern update
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
First off, I verified that there are coyotes in my suburb.  Saw the carcass of one that had a close encounter with a motor vehicle.  Cop buddy said it weighed in at 40 lbs.  It was in good health, no rabies or signs of starvation.  Just bad timing trying to cross the main street.

Second, I'm a little less worried about my dog.  As I said, she's a 45 lb. Aussie/Border Collie mix.  Took her to my in-laws for Turkey Day.  She did well with the other dogs she met...until she met my BIL's 100 lb Black Lab/German Shepherd/whatever else mix.  They didn't hit it off.  In fact, when BIL's dog licked my youngest son on the face, causing him to jerk away and yelp, Wendy (my dog) was on him in a flash.  Took two of us to pull them apart.  They ended up going at it five times over the weeken.  Last was the worst.  We had to work hard to pull my girl off of the other dog's neck.  She drew blood from two places, and lost a little of her own.  Both dogs fine, the BIL ended up at Urgent Care when his dog got him on the hand.  Wendy was amazingly peaceful and loving to me as soon as I got her out of the fight.  For some reason, she saw that dog as a threat to us all, and she wasn't going to have that.

My new plan for coyotes?  Drop the leash and watch to make sure it's a fair fight, and take out any that come at her from the back or at me.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Re: Coyote concern update
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »
I hope for your dog's sake you have a good relationship with an urgent care veterinary hospital.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »
one of those bear spray foggers might be useful depending on how firearm friendly your ao is
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »
The best plan would be to avoid/escape a coyote encounter IMHO.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:06:21 AM »
The best plan would be to avoid/escape a coyote encounter IMHO.

+1

I would never willingly let my dog go on the offensive with a coyote.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »
The big thing to remember (that I suspect you're forgetting) is that housedogs fight for dominance/submission, while wild animals fight to kill.

And that coyotes, while smaller, fight almost daily in-pack while also hunting food daily.  Most of the time the food is moles/mice/birds, but every once in a while dinner is a small deer or stray dog.  They get a lot more practice at killing their meals than your dog does.

Your dog has heart.  Mine does too.  And it certainly stands a better chance off-leash than on-leash.  But... it's highly unlikely to win against even a single coyote that is within 10 pounds of its weight.  If it runs off to keep the fight going and is trapped by the rest of the pack, your dog will have its throat ripped out or be disemboweled in 10 seconds or less.

Things that will help:
-A very sturdy, very wide collar that makes a killing blow against the neck more difficult.
-Heavy fur that fills an attacking animal's mouth before it can bite into skin.

That's about it.  Your dog is likely to roll to submission pose once the entire coyote pack corners or corrals him, and he will expose his belly.  At that point, he'll be eviscerated.

You have that long, to engage enough of the pack with gunfire or some sort of chemical spray, to discourage them from eating your dog.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
In Chris' defense, I believe he was speculating on what to do if the attack (despite all efforts to avoid) was upon him and the dog already.

In particular, in the previous thread he wondered about holding the leash vs. dropping the leash if an actual fight broke out.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:21:53 AM »
In Chris' defense, I believe he was speculating on what to do if the attack (despite all efforts to avoid) was upon him and the dog already.

In particular, in the previous thread he wondered about holding the leash vs. dropping the leash if an actual fight broke out.

Keeping his dog on leash will make it easier to avoid/escape a coyote encounter. A firearm or bear spray stacks the odds in favor of his dog and him getting away without a scratch.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:23:41 AM »
And, in part, I was complaining about how I spent my Turkey Day, dragging my BIL off to Urgent Care, sitting around with the 30 or 40 people who sliced themselves/burned themselves prepping dinner, while my turkey was at home getting eaten by everyone else.

In previous threads, I was worried about what to expect from a coyote.  I was worried that my dog was too passive to fight back if attacked.  I'm now not worried about her not fighting back, thouigh my real plan is to do anything/everything to avoid the situation.  I don't want my girl hurt.  And, no matter the outcome of any fight with a coyote, she'll end up hurt.  I know that.

And, FYI, I do leash walk her.  Too many cars. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
Seems like the perfect situation for a sawed-off shotgun.

Too bad it is so expensive and difficult to obtain one.  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 01:10:39 PM »
now a pair of dogs that work as a pack can wear yotes out  i had a border collie lab that was small and a husky lab that was not small . 40 and 75 pounds respectively.  they would tag team em and tear em up. keep your dogs shots up to date
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »
now a pair of dogs that work as a pack can wear yotes out  i had a border collie lab that was small and a husky lab that was not small . 40 and 75 pounds respectively.  they would tag team em and tear em up. keep your dogs shots up to date

True. And dogs that live/work together also have a pack they belong to, and won't make the (fatal) mistake of trying to submit to the coyotes. They'll fight harder.

Dogs obviously "pack" with your family, but they don't exhibit all behaviors unless it's got actual other dogs in it, it seems.
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »
dogs pack up quick  we had a shepherd mix that got between my daughter and a copperhead. took a bite in the face. she was not the alpha in the pack but had a special place in my life. she chose a new master one day or she'd be with me still. it was weird  emma was unfriendly  to everyone  she would bark aggressively at me for a min or 2 each time i came home and i was the only one she tolerated besides the baby. one thanksgiving i brought a lady home who had no where to go  had just ended a long relationship and was as sad as anyone i ever saw. i had about 7 or 8 dogs at the time and on the way home i warned her about emma. i went to check on the turkey and the lady sat down on the couch.  when i came back in the room my wife had a funny look on her face and emma was sitting with her head in the ladies lap and a funny look on her face. doggy love. it was spooky. emma went home with her a couple days later.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »
Seems like the perfect situation for a sawed-off shotgun.

Too bad it is so expensive and difficult to obtain one.  :mad:

$5.00 is expensive?  IIRC that's all an AOW stamp costs.

Or does Montana have prohibitions against them?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 02:30:50 PM »
$5.00 is expensive?  IIRC that's all an AOW stamp costs.

Or does Montana have prohibitions against them?

stay safe.

AOW applies for shotgun pistols only, right?  A virgin shotgun receiver with a handgrip stock and very short barrel(s) added.  An actual SBS requires a $200 tax stamp.  Something about if you remove the barrels, or add a long barrel or a stock then it forever becomes a SBS and you are suddenly a  very bad person.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »
There is a new tech-branch letter circulating that shotguns that are mfg'd and sold with a pistol grip are now "other" and are not "shotguns" technically, and hence do not come under the SBS 18" barrel limitation of the NFA, as long as they still have a muzzle to grip OAL of 26" or greater.

So in theory, you can now legally have a Rem 870 or Moss 500-590 action with a "witness protection" style grip and a 14" barrel, and it transfers like any other Title I weapon on a mere 4473.

Good luck finding an FFL who'll sell you one without soiling his shorts though.  :P

OTOH, if you're brave, and your state laws are silent on the matter, you can print off the tech-branch letter for yourself, and buy a "cruiser" PG only shotty and cut the barrel yourself, or put an after-market 14" one on.

YMMV, and IANAL etc. And there's been lots of other gun-board drama surrounding this new uncharted territory. (IIRC, someone who's pro-RKBA has even bear-baited the Brady's/VPC with this to try and get these new "others" declared as being DD's, to get some kind of constitutional 2A suit going over this...)

Just FYI.  =D And of course, the 26" OAL, is still LOTS longer/bigger than a Serbu super-shorty that transfers on an $5 AOW tax. OTOH, if you want to manufacture an AOW yourself and register it (you need a PG'd shotgun from the factory, or a "virgin" receiver that's been neither), it's $200 for us non-SOT people.  So in that case, if it's going to cost you $200 anyway, you might as well go SBS, and get a folding stock instead.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:44:57 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
Coyotes also like to lure dogs in.  One will approach (sometimes acting injured) and when a dog goes after it, the 'yote heads straight for the rest of the pack who are often concealed in a treeline.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »
serbu shorty FTW
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 06:51:04 PM »
Here in the Dallas area someone's dog got eaten off their front porch by coyotes in one of the suburbs a couple of months ago.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
I just chased some yotes from the front yard, the ranch owner at the same time opened the door so the 1 yr old lab, the big skinny mutt, & the border collie out.
The yotes always come close but never too close out here. Everybody shoots them-I've worried but the dogs here seem on top of it-as well as the cats ( one of which gave me a nasty bite nov 2nd that still hurts.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »
AOWs are actually pretty prevalent/popular, and you see 'em on a lot of tables at Knob Creek - Only problem is that the manufacturing cost is pretty high, but you are only looking at the $5 tax stamp (and the hassle of getting the stamp).

Here's a linky...

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=17948&query=retrieval

I've seen 'em for a lot less too...
Blog under construction

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »
Just get one of the Taurus shotgun/rifle combo.  You can get it in a variety of configurations. 410/22, 20/223 etc.  They are light and easily carried.  I keep mine handy when out hiking.  I have birdshot and BB shot rounds.  Works well on paper plates and tin cans.  Should be a good deterrent for coyotes or other varmint.  The spent round ejects when you press the release and with an elastic sleeve shell carrier you can reload and be back on target in a second.  A little practice can be fun.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 07:06:41 PM »
Gunsmith: It's rare for a cat bite to NOT get terribly infected, often requiring IV antibiotics! Take good care and get to ER at first sign of trouble.

OP: keep dog leashed and carry a hi-cap 9mm, or bigger, with HP's. And don't miss!!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 11:50:18 PM »
Gunsmith: It's rare for a cat bite to NOT get terribly infected, often requiring IV antibiotics! Take good care and get to ER at first sign of trouble.

OP: keep dog leashed and carry a hi-cap 9mm, or bigger, with HP's. And don't miss!!

Bob

thanks Bob, yup  the cat had bitten the ranch owner b4 & it got massively infected.
Here at the ranch we try to keep med supplies for TSHTF and I started taking tetracycline immediately ... it never got infected but it still hurts, I think the blasted cat severed a tendon or something. I have no med insurance, no money so ER visits are out of the question. The only reason the cat is still alive is missus ranch owner wont let us shoot it. We have to pray a yote gets brave enough to have at.   
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »

Bob

I agree:  a cat I used to own bit me (it was a dumb error on my part) and although I didn't think the wound was serious at the time, I decided to see a doctor.  He told me my immediate reaction to it was naive and I was right to see a doctor.  I don't recall the medicine he gave me but he also had me soaking the wound in epsom salts for so long each day for awhile. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero