Author Topic: officially sanctioned common sense  (Read 7695 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: officially sanctioned common sense
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »
Yeah, not to mention shooting downhill across the valley.

I've shot deer on the hill across the coulee on my own land, shooting over the top of the powerline that runs up to the neighbor behind us.  ;)

Sounds like Franklin County, Missouri.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »
:laugh:
And I thought horses were the bad tempered ones.

Horses are sweet.  Donkeys can be jackasses.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 09:51:06 AM »
Sheep people around me use donkeys or llamas. Either will kick the snot out of a yote. And failing that they get cyanide dart spring traps from the extension service.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
where does one get these traps?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
This is the info, unlike the other M-44 this one can actually hit the yote. Good luck getting them unless you can prove some serious stock depredation.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/fsheet_faq_notice/fs_wsm44.html
AKA Navy Joe   

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
yea  too many dogs running loose around here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »
Saw this a while back and am glad I was able to find it again. http://trigar.com/coolstuff/donkey_lion/donkey_vs_mountain_lion.htm

Geez Louise!  Better stay on the good side of that mule.  I liked how the dogs sat back and let the mule do the work.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
This is the info, unlike the other M-44 this one can actually hit the yote.

Extend your bayonet.  Mine will keep 9/10 on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 250yds with the bayonet extended.  Otherwise, it pulls left by a seemingly random amount on each shot.

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »
you think the pig sticker works like the stabilizer on a compound bow?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »

It just points the way so that the bullet knows where to go  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 01:26:34 AM »

More to the point, since the main concern in my area is feral hogs, I think it works like a pig sticker.  Think boar spear; put the sharp end in the pig and hang on to the blunt end so he can't get any closer to you.

But yes, it definitely has an effect on the long-range accuracy.  I can't speak to accuracy beyond 250, since that's pushing my limits with the fat post on the M44's irons.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 03:40:30 AM »

Certain Mosin rifles are designed to be used with the bayonet extended.

I have this on good authority [i.e. it is mentioned in official letters from Izhmash].
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
Extend your bayonet.  Mine will keep 9/10 on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper at 250yds with the bayonet extended.  Otherwise, it pulls left by a seemingly random amount on each shot.

I know, I was just patting myself on the back for being a K-31 milsurp snob.  =D I had an M-44 and was okay with it, had some epic go arounds with ROs because I always shot with the tent spike out. So it's okay to have semi-auto mag fed rifles blasting away but a sharp stick makes us gunowners look bad? Really?
AKA Navy Joe   

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 10:37:12 AM »
i can see how the mass "out there" would help dampen movement.  especially rise

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »
Probably harmonics or barrel flex. They regulated the sights with it extended. It was consistent with the bayo folded, consistently 12 minutes left that is.

On the original topic, the only yote I've shot at was on a dead run 200 yards away, I had a J-frame so I took a few shots, to not much effect. I actaully think I got close, it pulled up from its run.
AKA Navy Joe   

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 01:23:23 PM »
Probably harmonics or barrel flex. They regulated the sights with it extended. It was consistent with the bayo folded, consistently 12 minutes left that is.

On the original topic, the only yote I've shot at was on a dead run 200 yards away, I had a J-frame so I took a few shots, to not much effect. I actaully think I got close, it pulled up from its run.

I've got at least two confirmed, and one so badly wounded that it would surely die even after getting up and running away.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 03:21:32 PM »
CNYCacher:

Apparently they are pretty good fighters, as well as aggressive towards predators and protective of who they deem to be their family.

Saw this a while back and am glad I was able to find it again. http://trigar.com/coolstuff/donkey_lion/donkey_vs_mountain_lion.htm

Well... I'll... be... damned!  Thanks!  Not faked somehow?

In all my 12 or so years of horsey stuff long ago, I ain't never heerd of such a thing.  I knew they made good companions for horses, but we (ex-wife and I) never messed with donkeys.

Hamlet:
And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 5, 159–167

If there's ever a day I don't learn something new, put my boots up for sale, give me slippers, and send me to the old folks home.

And it took a Noo Yawker to teach me.  Snap!

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:39:59 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.