Author Topic: The  (Read 7114 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: The
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »
WOULDN'T it be easier if the word "the" was just simply a letter?
No, you nitwit mommy parts turd, it wouldn't.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »
while we are at it, can we remove w?  uu does the job just fine.

Uuorks for me  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 07:42:07 PM »
English has been, in the kindest possible terms, been described as a bastard child guilty of both raping and pillaging other languages.

T-h-e alternative is to copy the French, who have a purity committee to ensure the virginity of their beloved language.  They are much more rigorous about the language than they are about their daughters.  For proof, go look at their reaction to McDonalds "le Big Mac".  Far better to have the Maginot Line breached - again - than to have to accept that.  (They lost the fight.  Did anybody think they might win?)

T-h-e answer to this modest proposal will be to see if it survives.

stay safe.
If he can get it added to phones for texting, it will survive.  Otherwise, no.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
I would think smart move would be to just encourage people to abandon word "the." Not that I'm in favor of doing so, but it would be much easier. No changes to technology, and it would eliminate three key strokes instead of two. You could even make it "green," by whining about resources that are wasted by printing word "the."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 08:06:03 PM »
Here is a short excerpt from my latest novel with all of them removed.  It just feels weird.

Quote from:  Fox and Eagle
Architecture of bridge echoed rest of ship. It comprised a single level, and included five stations around periphery. Main window at center of bridge appeared to be an actual aperture to exterior, although transparent material itself was augmented with several heads-up displays. Primus loomed overhead majestically through display, reminding Vecky that up and down were relative out here.

Captain Kitsune stood at center of the bridge, and turned to greet them. He wore a dark blue military-style jacket with pleated pants and shiny black boots, and certainly looked part of captain. A handsome man, he kept his hair short and his mustache long. On anyone else it would have looked ridiculous, but Vecky thought he pulled it off.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »
Since # means "number" in most applications, and the abbreviation for number is "no.", how about substituting # for "no"?  =D

I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 11:45:32 PM »
Since # means "number" in most applications, and the abbreviation for number is "no.", how about substituting # for "no"?  =D

#

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »

The we could have s#wball fights or get things signed by a #tary. I think I would get #stalgic for the old ways. so, #t only # but hell #
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 03:35:55 AM »
I would like to  re-adopt the old letters ash (æ), yogh (ȝ), edh (ð), and thorn (Þ).

Yup. Thorn is basically "th". Early typesetters also found it convenient to replace the thorn with a y, since at that time the symbols had become pretty close. And that's how you got "Ye Olde Shoppe". Ye is supposed to be pronounced "The".

ETA: Look, the Late Middle English and  Early Modern English versions of what the Aussie wants:

Personally, I think those look better.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:45:16 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »
Here is a short excerpt from my latest novel with all of them removed.  It just feels weird.

Remove the other articles and you have Byreika from Monster Hunter...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »

Y #t?   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
Get rid of "u" also.

"V" worked fine for that purpose for a very long time.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
The guy is almost 100 years late.  Gregg shorthand has used a symbolic representation of "the" since at least 1916.

First column, fourth row from the bottom...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
With that analysis then we should use @ for in that, so th@, c@, f@, etc.

How about Ћ@er?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »
@ is no part of the alphabet.

But it signifies "at," and "at" is arguably a word, as well as a common pair of letters found in other words. So, by his logic, @ should be considered a letter.

In my profession, # typically indicates "pound" rather than "number," And telephone voice mail systems tell you to press the pound key, not the number key. So # can stand in for pound, thus giving us words such as:

ex#

#ed

pro#

com#

con#

So, if y'all see me typing "Go # s&" I'm sure you'll know what I mean.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:42:25 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »
There's # place like Ω

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »
But it signifies "at," and "at" is arguably a word, as well as a common pair of letters found in other words. So, by his logic, @ should be considered a letter.

In my profession, # typically indicates "pound" rather than "number," And telephone voice mail systems tell you to press the pound key, not the number key. So # can stand in for pound, thus giving us words such as:

ex#

#ed

pro#

com#

con#

So, if y'all see me typing "Go # s&" I'm sure you'll know what I mean.

What is a conpound?  :P