Author Topic: Yellowstone Supervolcano Larger Than Previously Thought  (Read 1740 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Yellowstone Supervolcano Larger Than Previously Thought
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:11:29 PM »
New seismic surveys put it at around 14 times the size of the Grand Canyon.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/24/us/yellowstone-supervolcano-magma-reservoir-discovery/

Interesting perspective on size: If you piled all the humans that ever live in the history of the world into the Grand Canyon, they would not fill it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Yellowstone Supervolcano Larger Than Previously Thought
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »
I thought they figured out years ago that ALL of Yellowstone is the Caldera.  Which might help better explain the rich soils of the mid-west better then the "Glaciers pushed the dirt down from Canada."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:27:42 PM »
First it was the fast food joints.  Then the sit-down restaurants (except the haute cuisine kind).  Now University of Utah scientists are supersizing the Yellowstone caldera.

Will there be no end to this?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »
I thought they figured out years ago that ALL of Yellowstone is the Caldera.  Which might help better explain the rich soils of the mid-west better then the "Glaciers pushed the dirt down from Canada."

Yellowstone = 3500 sq miles, Grand Canyon = 1900 sq miles. 1900*14=26,600 sq miles. Plus then the whole three dimensions thing. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »
First it was the fast food joints.  Then the sit-down restaurants (except the haute cuisine kind).  Now University of Utah scientists are supersizing the Yellowstone caldera.

Will there be no end to this?

stay safe.

Dogs and cats sleeping together! MASS HYSTERIA!!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
I thought they figured out years ago that ALL of Yellowstone is the Caldera.  Which might help better explain the rich soils of the mid-west better then the "Glaciers pushed the dirt down from Canada."

Rich soils of Iowa and eastern Illinois is from the Peoria Loess deposition. That happened about 23,000 BP.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0033589413000707

The ash from the last "Yellowstone" eruption would have been buried by the till of the Pre-Illinois glacier.

640,000 BP on Lava Creek eruption vs 300,000 retreat of the Pre Illinois glaciers. Any ash that wasn't buried by till would have been part of the pre Illinois inter glacial soils of the Yarmouth-Sangamon paleosoils. Those soils have been buried by post Illinois glacier/Wisconsin glacier and Peoria Loess.

Glaciers don't normally bulldoze, they absorb material and redeposit at the head. Think of a icy conveyor belt. When they retreat is when deposition occurs.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 09:18:05 AM »
Came across this this morning

viewing now. The guy needs to slow down a bit, I know enough about geology to be dangerous.

Yellowstone Won't Explode And End Civilisation (Sorry) | The Deep Dive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypn3Fe_PLts

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 09:33:48 AM »
Yellowstone Won't Explode And End Civilization

Well, that's *expletive deleted*ing depressing.

=(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 09:41:38 AM »
"Interesting perspective on size: If you piled all the humans that ever live in the history of the world into the Grand Canyon, they would not fill it."

But it would be a damned good start and getting rid of humans and turning the planet over to dogs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 09:43:51 AM »
"Rich soils of Iowa and eastern Illinois is from the Peoria Loess deposition. That happened about 23,000 BP. "

23,000 British Petroleum?

Yeah, I know I'm commenting on something posted nearly a decade ago.

So wot? :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2023, 05:57:01 PM »
"BP"
https://www.thoughtco.com/bp-how-do-archaeologists-count-backward-170250

I got trapped into going through this thread and wondered about that.  I guess "BP" avoids  "AD" and "BC" and "CE" (Christian Era) and Julian Dates, etc, but seems like it would avoid confusion if a writer just said "years ago." 

It's just another SAUONA (Smart Assed Use Of Needless Acronyms)  which demonstrates laziness and is evidence of a childish "I know something you don't know, nyah-nyah!" mentality, or a slavish copying of a military style.

Or all three.

Communication, after all, is the goal of writing.

Even "minus 23ka" would have been better, and better recognized.  Everybody knows what "ka" means, right?

Terry  said that and he ain't takin' it back.

PS.  I thought it was recommended somewhere, rather than bumping old threads to make additional comments, it was better to start a new thread quoting the relevant parts one is commenting upon.  Can't find it, and it may be a rule from another board, but it sure makes sense.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 06:12:48 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 06:02:49 PM »

It's just another SAUONA (Smart Assed Use Of Needless Acronyms)  which demonstrates laziness and is evidence of a childish "I know something you don't know, nyah-nyah!" mentality, or a slavish copying of a military style.

Saying 23,000 BP makes you sound more "educated" than saying 23,000 years ago.  ;/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2023, 06:15:13 PM »
Saying 23,000 BP makes you sound more "educated" than saying 23,000 years ago.  ;/

Exactly.  My point.  "Showing off."  At root: "I know something you don't know, nyah-nyah!"

Terry said that and he ain't takin' that back, either.

I have seen "ka," for "thousand annums" which at least makes sense from a scientific nomenclature standpoint. But to me it's as awkward as saying kiloseconds.

"BCE" for "Before Christian Era"  just seems like a tawdry excuse for avoiding acknowledgement of Christ's real existence.  Kinda like Xmas.  But I was never sure whether Xmas honored Christ or not.  Sorta like JFK or HST or AOC (yuch), which are honorific forms of identification.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 06:49:02 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 06:33:14 PM »

"BCE" for "Before Christian Era"  just seems like a tawdry excuse for avoiding acknowledgement of Christ's real existence.  Kinda like Xmas.  I was never sure whether Xmas honored Christ or not.  Sorta like JFK or HST or AOC (yuch), which are honorific forms of identification.

Terry, 230RN

BCE - Before Common Era

See! I'm more edjucated than you  :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2023, 07:42:06 PM »
"BP"
https://www.thoughtco.com/bp-how-do-archaeologists-count-backward-170250

I got trapped into going through this thread and wondered about that.  I guess "BP" avoids  "AD" and "BC" and "CE" (Christian Era) and Julian Dates, etc, but seems like it would avoid confusion if a writer just said "years ago." 

Or all three.

Communication, after all, is the goal of writing.

Even "minus 23ka" would have been better, and better recognized.  Everybody knows what "ka" means, right?

Terry  said that and he ain't takin' it back.

PS.  I thought it was recommended somewhere, rather than bumping old threads to make additional comments, it was better to start a new thread quoting the relevant parts one is commenting upon.  Can't find it, and it may be a rule from another board, but it sure makes sense.

Count time from the zero point of the Unix epoch, and give it to them in gigaseconds.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2023, 08:08:10 PM »
^ LOL  You'd need giganumbers for the exponent. Just happened to note, after another cuppa, that a kilosecond is about a quarter hour.  Damned calculators.  D'ja ever notice whenever one's in sight, you have to pick it up and play with it?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2023, 09:08:52 PM »
BCE - Before Common Era

See! I'm more edjucated than you  :P

"Before Common Era" is just a work-around for "Before Christian Era."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2023, 09:10:42 PM »
Damned calculators.  D'ja ever notice whenever one's in sight, you have to pick it up and play with it?

Well, since you asked ... why, no, I have never noticed that nor have I ever encountered anyone who seemed to be so afflicted.  >:D

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2023, 01:14:14 AM »
Even attention whores like NdGT still use AD and BC because he wants to honor the priests that devised the Gregorian calendar, despite the militant atheists (of which he otherwise is one) trying to berate him into using CE and BCE.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2023, 06:44:27 AM »
There's only one way around this Christy McFreaking Christ is the center of everything! calendar problem...

Use it or lose your head.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2023, 07:54:24 AM »
Even attention whores like NdGT still use AD and BC because he wants to honor the priests that devised the Gregorian calendar, despite the militant atheists (of which he otherwise is one) trying to berate him into using CE and BCE.

Who or what is NdGT?

[insert customary rant about unexplained acronyms]

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2023, 08:00:05 AM »
Neil de Grasse Tyson

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2023, 08:17:01 AM »
Who or what is NdGT?

[insert customary rant about unexplained acronyms]

WDYMUA?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2023, 08:24:45 AM »
"WDYMUA"

Uhm...

What Do You Mean You ahole?

:rofl: