Main Forums > The Roundtable

There's a potato masher in my potatos! Or...

<< < (2/4) > >>

wmenorr67:
Well it could give a whole new meaning to bacon bits with the sour cream and chives.

charby:
McCain's Potatoes, Taste the Flavor Explosion!

K Frame:
"When you think about it a little it is surprising that the ordance made it all the way to the plant.  Just think if a farmer hit one while plowing, planting, or cultivating what could have happened."

It happens every couple of years when farmers or construction workers are injured or killed by buried ordnance.  

According to an article I read in Smithsonian some years ago, every spring farmers routinely plow up unexploded ordnance. Many simply put it by the side of the road and put up a flag, and the government/military comes by and collects it for demolition.

There are HUGE swaths of France that are still uninhabitable, mainly areas where trench warfare occurred during World War I. The French Department of the Interior has special teams that are reclaiming these areas, but it's a slow, and dangerous process. Around 1995 two members of a team were badly injured when a mustard gas shell ruptured.

The author of the article recounted wandering away from the small group of workers to a section of trench that had been cleared of brush but not yet demined. There were rotted rifles, military kit, and a pile of hand grenades.

Ah! Here's an article from Wikipedia on the "iron harvest" as they apparently call it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_harvest

AJ Dual:
900 TONS a year...

Hooooo....

K Frame:
Did you see the quote in the BBC article in the references section?

"Ask how long this work might last and you get a shrug, "Three, four hundred years, hard to say.""

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version