Author Topic: Nuclear Non-proliferation Hamstringing South Korea?  (Read 375 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Nuclear Non-proliferation Hamstringing South Korea?
« on: April 27, 2022, 03:10:21 AM »
My wife and I like taking turns playing the devil's advocate and recently the topic of North Korea came up.  Soon after, the conversation focused on nuclear non-proliferation. 

I chose to be in favor of championing the ROK in initiating a domestic nuclear weapons program whereas my wife decided to challenge it.
A conventional war between the two Korea's boils down to a mess regardless how anyone chooses looks at it. However, should the tides of war turn decisively against DPRK, the use of nuclear weapons could be introduced by North Korea in a desperate attempt at victory or at the very least to prevent regime change after a decisive defeat.

Obviously the mere presence of nuclear weapons doesn't necessarily bring about immediate "nuclear war" (as evidenced by India and Pakistan's relative peace), though I will concede it introduces the possibility.

My wife used an analogy of a neighborly dispute between tenants of an apartment complex.  One neighbor, the more volatile of the two, is armed with a battle rifle (such as an FN-FAL or HK G3) whereas the other party only possesses a sword for defense.  In such a situation, would fellow neighbors living in the same apartment complex, replete with paper-thin walls, suggest the ill-armed neighbor up their game with a similar weapon?

I suggested the presence of an opposing battle rifle may dampen the prospect of direct confrontation.  My wife countered by stating it may only amounts to TWICE as many .30 caliber slugs ripping through multiple units should a direct confrontation actually occur.

Here's my question to the forum: With the whole slippery-slope nuclear proliferation argument set aside, what benefits would South Korea gain in developing their own domestic nuclear weapons program? 

I must say that as of right now, I'm not opposed to the idea.  After all, the North already has them and that saber is rattled to no end.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 05:31:49 AM by Snowdog »

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Nuclear Non-proliferation Hamstringing South Korea?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 08:42:39 AM »
The presence of a weapon does not automatically mean the use of that weapon nor the misuse of that weapon.  Making decisions solely based on worst case scenarios is often not the best choice. 

The lack of a particular weapon does not mean one is safe from misuse.  Lots of ways to do mass destruction.  In your analogy, the guy with the sword could just choose to set fire to the apartment building.  South Korea can sit safe knowing they have no nukes and then China or some other 3rd party gets involved. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 09:08:22 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 12:11:47 PM »
Y’all need to appoint me president. I refer back to my comprehensive east Asia security policy.

1. Give Japan nukes.
2.Leave.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 12:34:22 AM »
Can't do that French as the "people" have already spoken and, as the only country to have ever suffered from a nuclear attack, they want no part of those devices.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 10:23:23 AM »
Taiwan needs them also.