Author Topic: Happy Birthday,Tom Selleck  (Read 751 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Happy Birthday,Tom Selleck
« on: January 29, 2022, 05:41:02 PM »
Just noticed some TV station is having a "Selleck-a-thon" in honor of his birthday, 29 Jan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck

I don't remember whether I saw the "Ivan, have you seen the sun rise?" episode in a re-run or during its regular run, but I was absolutely stunned.

I can't find a full scene of it with the lead-in conversation, which was important...

https://youtu.be/a2VQIxE472A

I understand the scene has been subject to some gentrificaion by some do-gooders.

I also relish re-watching his long-range shot in Quigley Down Under.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:09:43 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
Re: Happy Birthday,Tom Selleck
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 07:46:10 PM »
I remember seeing the Ivan incident during the regular run of Magnum - sadly, you just don't get writing like that any more.

And of course I liked Quigley - don't personally know anyone who didn't - and watch it again from time to time. The sound track was appropriate to the movie, too - none of that pop or rap or whatever is polluting our airwaves today and which in all too many current movies completely swamps the dialog.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 10:19:37 PM »
Watched the Ivan episode when it first came out.  My sister and I just looked at each other in silence and dropped jaw.  Every now and then I get the boxed set and pick out ten to watch for a mini binge with chili dogs and long necks.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 11:25:19 PM »
Archer parodied the Ivan episode it was hilarious

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 08:15:25 AM »
The Ivan episode has been on a few lists over the years of the best ever.

It was really a turning point in the series, as far as I'm concerned, as to how the show, and Magnum, were being written. The first season was more slapstick. With Ivan the show and characters became grittier and darker and a lot more interesting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 08:24:44 AM »
The Ivan episode has been on a few lists over the years of the best ever.

It was really a turning point in the series, as far as I'm concerned, as to how the show, and Magnum, were being written. The first season was more slapstick. With Ivan the show and characters became grittier and darker and a lot more interesting.

That's one of the things that makes Magnum PI one of my favorite TV series. I loved the comedy-oriented episodes and the Magnum-Higgins interactions, but they  could also go serious and dark, and it was always seamless between the two sides. I have the whole series on DVD now, to protect the episodes from the SJW censors.

I wonder how many younger people who watch the "new" Magnum PI have ever seen the original series?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 12:00:51 PM »
That's one of the things that makes Magnum PI one of my favorite TV series. I loved the comedy-oriented episodes and the Magnum-Higgins interactions, but they  could also go serious and dark, and it was always seamless between the two sides. I have the whole series on DVD now, to protect the episodes from the SJW censors.

I wonder how many younger people who watch the "new" Magnum PI have ever seen the original series?

It's a shame we have to think in those terms nowadays, but I foresee the possibility of all kinds of physical censorship... apart from the  present ongoing "cleansing" of megacorp sites

Ben, make sure you transfer it to any new media as they become popular/standard in future.  I am sick of losing data because of advancing storage technologies.

Who was it who said, "If a book is worth burning, it must be worth reading"...?

Terry, 230RN

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 03:29:31 PM »
There is one thing I wonder about Mr. Selleck.  Considering his past involvement with the NRA, I wonder at his character on "Blue Bloods" as thje PC of what is likely to be the most oppressive city in the country, at least as far as Second Amendment rights are concerned.  =|  ???
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 06:02:08 PM »
" as the PC of what is likely to be the most oppressive city in the country, at least as far as Second Amendment rights are concerned."

He's an actor.  Actors act.  He's acting as either the appointee of the elected Mayor or as an elected representative of the people.

He also acted like a murderer with a gun in the Ivan episode.  So?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 11:28:32 PM by 230RN »

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 06:58:04 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 07:07:35 PM »
Let's hope that price comes down soon enough

The regular DVDs are half that.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 08:58:29 PM »
The regular DVDs are half that.

I got my series collection sometime ago--looking to see if the bluray is significantly better.  Or with extras