Author Topic: Democrats seek financial rescue of minority-owned broadcasters  (Read 3276 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Do they think that, like GM, they are too big to fail?  If they can find the advertising dollars and the audience, there is no reason to need to be rescued.

Democrats seek financial rescue of minority-owned broadcasters 
By Silla Brush 
http://thehill.com/business--lobby/democrats-seek-financial-rescue-of-minority-owned-broadcasters-2009-05-19.html

High-ranking House Democrats are urging the Treasury Department to prop up minority-owned broadcasters suffering from a lack of capital and lost advertising revenue amid the economic slump.

House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) is leading an effort to convince Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner to take “decisive action” by extending credit to this sector of the broadcasting industry.

Clyburn and other senior members, including House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.) and Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), argue that minority-owned broadcasters are sound businesses, but that the recession could undermine the government’s efforts to diversify the airwaves.

A number of members from the Congressional Black Caucus signed the letter, too.

“While many jobs are at stake, a more important principle — the government’s fundamental interest in promoting a diversity of voices, including service to underserved communities — is severely threatened,” the members write in a draft of a letter that was scheduled to be sent Tuesday.

The letter comes as some of the biggest recipients of government bailout money, including JPMorgan Chase & Co., Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, jockey to repay government bailout money. As banks seek a way out from the government’s restrictions, other industries struggle and seek government support. Some firms seeking to repay the government argue that the government’s restrictions have burdened their businesses.

The congressmen suggest the Treasury Department could provide access to capital to minority-owned broadcasters, which they say represent less than 7 percent of full-power radio stations and a “negligible” ownership of television stations.

“They are looking for continued access to capital to continue their otherwise fundamentally sound operations,” the members write.

The letter suggests Treasury could set up a credit facility specific to the industry, similar to the government’s efforts to support auto suppliers, or possibly set up a program for bridge financing and government-backed loans until the economy improves.

“In addition to the credit crisis, also weighing heavily on minority broadcasters is a significant decline in advertising revenues, particularly the loss of automobile advertising,” the congressmen write.

The members are asking for a meeting with the Treasury Department and minority-owned broadcast entities and representatives from the National Association of Black Owned Broadcasters.

Other members signing the letter are Democratic Reps. Bobby Rush (Ill.), Edolphus Towns (N.Y.), Maurice Hinchey (N.Y.), Carolyn Maloney (N.Y.), Maxine Waters (Calif.), Gregory Meeks (N.Y.), G.K. Butterfield (N.C.), Barbara Lee (Calif.), Lynn Woolsey (Calif.) and Bennie Thompson (Miss.) 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Democrats seek financial rescue of minority-owned broadcasters
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:58:52 PM »
Smells like a backdoor attempt to fight conservative talk radio.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:14:18 PM »
Smells like a backdoor attempt to fight conservative talk radio.
That was my first thought . . . especially when I see people like Bobby Rush and Maxine Waters among the sponsors. (Hmmm . . . I wonder if they'll help minorities like Alan Keyes, Thomas Sowell, J.C. Watts, Walter Williams, and Michelle Malkin get air time on these minority-owned stations?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »
I wonder if they'll help minorities like Alan Keyes, Thomas Sowell, J.C. Watts, Walter Williams, and Michelle Malkin get air time on these minority-owned stations?)
If they would put people like them on their stations they probably would have an audience, and not need a bailout.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »
How far would this so-called "legislation" go if the broadcasters were white?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:38 AM »
How far would this so-called "legislation" go if the broadcasters were white?
???? Giving aid to white broadcasters would be racist!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »
I wonder if they'll give any financial aid to a black-owned radio station here in Milwaukee. The hosts of the morning program have proposed all sorts of acts against white people, such as throwing burning tires off expressway overpasses during rush hour.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
Welcome to the politics of Rhodesia.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 03:58:12 PM »
I wonder if they'll give any financial aid to a black-owned radio station here in Milwaukee. The hosts of the morning program have proposed all sorts of acts against white people, such as throwing burning tires off expressway overpasses during rush hour.
Isn't that the type of stations that need the help the most?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 05:38:24 PM »
How charming. This is not from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, right, but rather from Milwaukee, Zimbabwe?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
I was listening to another talk show today on this very topic.  Seems radio ratings have undergone a technological shift here of late.  In the past monitoring companies would pass out dairies which participants would fill out.  As fraught with errors as the technique was it was all that was available.

Fast forward to the 21st century.  Monitoring companies now use people tracking technology.  Evidently each station now imbeds a unique identifier into is broadcast signal.  Participants are issued something that looks like a key fob or cell phone or whatever that constantly sniffs out what people are listening to which is then logged. 

Former techniques required the use of numeric massaging to make sense out of the data.  Evidently the massaging techniques assigned a listenership to some radio stations that did not in fact exist.  No listeners results in lower advertising rates results in . . . .   You get the point.  So now we have an entire segment of the broadcast business in deep trouble because listeners simply did not exist.  So they ask for help or go out of business.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
Yup.  Thanks to the new ratings system, it's become clear that there are stations that nobody listens to.  Those stations are skrood.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »
>How charming. This is not from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, right, but rather from Milwaukee, Zimbabwe? <

Wait... there's a difference?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »
Welcome to the politics of Rhodesia.

Closer to home than you even know. The Obama administration is right out of Comrade Bob's playbook.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 09:53:14 PM »
Oh I know. 

I'm of the opinion that Obama can be a great President.  But not of America.  Maybe of Kenya or Indonesia, the countries he loves best (or perhaps more accurately, imaginary versions thereof).
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.