Author Topic: Nylon belts, smoke-jumper belts, recommendations?  (Read 10262 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Nylon belts, smoke-jumper belts, recommendations?
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »
I am shopping for a black nylon belt that will be comfortable, with an easy-to-adjust buckle, but also durable enough to last for several years. It must be belt loop sized (not a military LBE belt). My only experience with such belts are the army issue type, but I never liked those. I think the buckle was just too square and pokey, but maybe I disremember.

Duluth Trading has a smoke jumper belt that looks good.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-smokejumpers-nylon-belt-86093.aspx?src=T11WFSHP1

Any other recommendations? Can I find one that will be stiff enough for a gun belt?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Nylon belts, smoke-jumper belts, recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:28:08 PM »
Standard belt loops for you being what? 1.5" or 1.75"?
If 1.75", here is a belt with good ratings. And it's tactical.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
Any of the "instructor" belts offered by the tactical vendors might suffice.  IIRC they pretty much all come with some sort of reinforcing material sandwiched between the layers of nylon, which the DTC belt appears to lack, to improve their functionality as gun belts.

Buddy of mine just recently got all huffy about the fact I was the last of the "usual suspects" still wearing a leather gun belt and gifted me with an Uncle Mike's version.  It's OK, but I still prefer my leather belts.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the Wilderness Instructor Belt

Comfy, works well, and lasts darn near forever.  I'm on my second only because I got too skinny for the first one.  It's still in good shape.  They also work really well as a gun belt.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:47:45 PM »
I will be following this thread for any suggestions for something that will fit dress slacks. 1.25" wide, if I recall correctly, as the standard dress belt width.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
Co-op, get cow collar. I shat you not, my dad has worn one as a belt for at least 5 years, holds up extremely well. Hot punch holes as required. D ring proven to lift 240lb man on air hoist.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
I bought one of these a few months ago, on sale for $15 or $20, I don't remember which.  The sizes run a little big; the XL was way too long and I had to send it back and get a L.  Works just fine as a gun belt.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product_read_only.jsp?productId=920662
"It's good, though..."

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 07:12:57 PM »
I will be following this thread for any suggestions for something that will fit dress slacks. 1.25" wide, if I recall correctly, as the standard dress belt width.

I'm not sure if you are looking for a dress belt, or just something that will fit the narrower belt loops.  

If it is the latter, I recommend the Wilderness Tactical "frequent flyer" model.  I get the "easy fit" version because it has a wider range of width so you can easily switch between OWB and IWB carry.  

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=142&pg=1
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 07:15:23 PM »
^^^ Exactly. A Wilderness-style belt that will fit dress slack belt loops.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 08:04:12 PM »

If you're wearing dress slacks you need to be wearing a leather belt to go with the leather shoes you should be wearing.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »
Several of the leather gun belt makers offer a belt that is tapered to 1.25" in the front to appear to be a standard belt.

As for the nylon rigger's belts, I'm happy with my Wilderness Instructor belt. It holds both my 1911 and M&P setups well, yet is thin enough to use under my "war belt."

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Another vote for the Wilderness.

I have the CSM model with the polyethylene stiffener in it, and it's really good at just keeping cellphones, multi-tools etc, from flopping around or bending out from your body, much less a holster & gun.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Standard belt loops for you being what? 1.5" or 1.75"?
If 1.75", here is a belt with good ratings. And it's tactical.

I think both would work, but I'd prefer 1.5"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 11:59:09 PM »
I am shopping for a black nylon belt that will be comfortable, with an easy-to-adjust buckle, but also durable enough to last for several years. It must be belt loop sized (not a military LBE belt). My only experience with such belts are the army issue type, but I never liked those. I think the buckle was just too square and pokey, but maybe I disremember.

Duluth Trading has a smoke jumper belt that looks good.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-smokejumpers-nylon-belt-86093.aspx?src=T11WFSHP1

Any other recommendations? Can I find one that will be stiff enough for a gun belt?

I'd buy a Wilderness riggers belt, or better yet, an improved riggers belt with a Cobra buckle, several companies make these including Viking Tactics, 215 Gear, and Ares Gear, to name a few. You have to completely undo the rigger's belt threaded through every time you want to take a piss, for example, but the Cobra buckled belt means you can unclip like a seatbelt, take care of business, and click back. I find them easier to deal with.

I'd buy a REAL rigger's belt rather than a knockoff from Duluth, although their stuff is usually pretty decent...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 12:11:28 AM »
Thanks again, folks. I just ordered the Original Instructor's Belt, five-stitch version.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:26:29 AM by The artist formerly known as fistful »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
Thanks again, folks. I just ordered the Original Instructor's Belt.

Did you pay close attention to the sizing instructions? there isn't much adjustability at all with the Wilderness belts.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 12:25:32 AM »
Did you pay close attention to the sizing instructions? there isn't much adjustability at all with the Wilderness belts.

It would be hard to miss all the warnings. Ya know, a precisely-fitted, $50-dollar belt is a good excuse not to lose weight.  :lol:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
Another vote for the Wilderness Frequent Flyer model....esp. in 5-stitch and Easy-Fit....

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2478&parent=142

I like the Easy-Fit option because it allows for more adjustment than the regular-sized models.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
I like the Easy-Fit option because it allows for more adjustment than the regular-sized models.

NO! IT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE A DISGUSTING FAT-BODY!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 10:09:25 PM »

NO! IT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE A DISGUSTING FAT-BODY!

!!!! AND PROUD OF IT, YOU JACKWAGON !!!!

=D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:45:30 AM by seeker_two »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 01:13:42 AM »
Co-op, get cow collar. I shat you not, my dad has worn one as a belt for at least 5 years, holds up extremely well. Hot punch holes as required. D ring proven to lift 240lb man on air hoist.  =D

Wow, much cheaper then most ppl belts too, I'm gonna look seriously at these
http://www.google.com/search?q=cow+collar&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1143&bih=653
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
i have one that's doing pretty good. wish i could tell you where to get one. it was on a pair of shorts i bought for the belt. try looking there. ;) got it at hamrick's if i'm remembering right.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a saddle latigo or a raw piece from the leather store to replace the leather on my 30+ year old belt.   (< $20)

The solid brass buckle is nicer than anything I've seen on new belts.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
you can get new belts with snaps, and swap your old buckle, i like easy. ;) these last about a year. oh, and you can still get good buckles to.