Author Topic: Knife Center of the Internet  (Read 7175 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Knife Center of the Internet
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:47:15 AM »
I had not done business with this company before, but they had a reasonable price on a knife, of which other outlets had none in stock. I paid an extra dollar or two for four-day shipping.

After ordering, I got an email saying 5-7 business days. About three business days later, having received no further info or a tracking number, I sent an email asking for an update. They replied that they expected to receive the knife "hopefully sometime next week." Meaning, they wouldn't even have the knife until six business days out. =| And I wonder when they were planning to tell me it was back-ordered.

The next day, I received an email saying they were still waiting for back-ordered items. Oh, OK, so that's when they were going to tell me.

A week after that, they told me they had shipped it. So it arrived about ten business days after the confirmation email was sent. Usually, e-commerce works a whole lot faster than I expect it to, so ten days doesn't seem like a long time to wait. Except that I had paid for faster shipping (which I never do) and they should have been more forth-coming about the thing being back-ordered.

So then I opened the box, and one of the wooden handle scales was very, very noticeably warped away from the liner, and cracked around the screw hole. Worse yet, this knife had the perfect serial number - 0762 - but it was broke.  =(

I asked about returning the knife, and they said, "Please ship the unwanted item back to the address on the invoice.  Please return to us in new, unused condition with original packaging, reason for the return and instructions on whether you would like a refund or exchange."

So, yeah, I just paid the postage to ship it back, and they refunded the amount on the invoice.

I blame Monkeyleg. That Indian-hating paleface.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Knife Center of the Internet
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
What a sharply-worded post.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 12:16:31 PM »
I blame you.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
Never ordered from Knife Center, since my go-to internet retailer for knives is www.gpknives.com. They have decent prices and relatively quick service. Never been disappointed, and they even have a place on their order form where you can add some comments if you want them to check the knife for something specific before they ship it to you.
Andy

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »

Whatever.  We know you're an M4 SOPMOD barbie for men gearqueer.  You got all butt-hurt that you got a 762 serial number that you warped the handle and cracked the grips, so you could return it.

It's always Fistful's fault.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »
I've never heard of that place.

I've purchased from UniqueBlade.com and BladeHQ.com (as well as some all-switchblade sites), and they've been excellent. Delivery in two to three days, no damage, and good prices.

No Indians, either. ;)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
Ordered from KnifeCenter before. I suspect they have precious little inventory. They do have good prices, and do ship when they say they will. However, they don't seem to ship until a week after your order.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
B-but they are the oldest and largest online catalog of cutlery!

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
When Son2 was preparing to head for Iraq (2005), I ordered a nice Cold Steel fixed-blade sticker from the Knife Center. They promised and promised yet failed to deliver. I cancelled that order and found another place that, while a few bucks higher, shipped very quickly.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »
I'll never understand why places will allow themselves to get bad reputations.

I had an order placed last weekend for some moccasins. I told the customer that they'd go out Priority Mail on Monday and he'd have them by Thursday. Obviously, Monday was a holiday, so they didn't go until Tuesday, and he would have them by today.

He realized this and called me. And called me. He said he had a competition on Saturday ($10 says he doesn't, but just wants them fast). Finally I agree to send them UPS 2nd Day Air, and I ate the cost. I lost money on the sale, but it was my (little) mistake.

He may or may not come back, but he shouldn't have any reason to be posting bad comments about me on forums like this.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:07:20 PM by Monkeyleg »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »

I had an order placed last weekend for some moccasins. I told the customer that they'd go out Priority Mail on Monday and he'd have them by Thursday. Obviously, Wednesday was a holiday, so they didn't go until Tuesday, and he would have them by today.

Dear Sir:

I've received my purchased moccasins and hunting knife from your site.  However, the knife's edge is unsatisfactory.  Cutting the moccasins that were provided as test media requires significant effort.  I expect my knives to be effortlessly sharp.

I'm returning the knife and moccasins.  Please expedite delivery of a properly sharpened knife and new test moccasins.  Also included is my receipt for return shipping.  I would appreciate reimbursement for that, as well as gas from my home to the nearest FedEx store.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »
Thanks a ton for the links and recommendations. I found a lot of knives I hadn't seen before, although the ones I really like are still too far on the other side of three figures.

Still looking.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 07:36:48 PM »
gpknives.com had the blade I ordered previously, and at a lower price, thank you cosine. I ordered it this morning, and I've already received an email saying it has been shipped.

And then I found another knife that had most of the features I wanted, for under $30. So I have to have that one, too. But most places don't have it in stock, so I may end up ordering it from, yup, Knife Center.

Aaaaand, the Bass Pro Shop has Leatherman Blasts for $35, so I might hafta get one of those, too.

I have the Monkeyleg disease.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
I have the Monkeyleg disease.

You don't have it fully until your knives have buttons.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
Oh. I thought your quibble with my diagnosis would have to do with the price. After all, I could buy all three of these items and still not spend $150 altogether.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 10:11:22 PM »
Glad you found the info useful.  =)

What did you order?
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 02:21:22 AM »
Boker Plus Exskelimoor 1 that I ordered from Grand Prairie Knives:

This here is the Ontario RAT Model 1 that seems like quite a deal for ~$27:

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
Ran across a couple of decent deals on Amazon today... Kershaw G10 Tactical Speed Bump for $36.99 and Leatherman Skeletool for $35.02. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to pull the trigger on either one... I don't need a Skeletool, but I've wanted one for a while.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »
gpknives.com had the blade I ordered previously, and at a lower price, thank you cosine. I ordered it this morning, and I've already received an email saying it has been shipped.

Wow. That took about three days, and cost about seven dollars less than Knife Center.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 12:37:10 AM »
This here is the Ontario RAT Model 1 that seems like quite a deal for ~$27:

There don't seem to be any green ones left, so I broke down and got the black one. It is the most amazingly sharp knife I have ever used.  :O 

Also my first with the G10.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:08:11 AM by fistful »

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »
See? Racist.

You call him racist for his Indian slur and he responds with a story about moccasins??????

:O

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
Never ordered from Knife Center, since my go-to internet retailer for knives is www.gpknives.com. They have decent prices and relatively quick service. Never been disappointed, and they even have a place on their order form where you can add some comments if you want them to check the knife for something specific before they ship it to you.
Thanks.
Been looking for a place I can buy knives and sharpener kit at the same time.  I'll buy tons of stuff from them and tell them some dude on the internet named after a calculator button sent me.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
Hijack in progress...

Why, oh why do knife makers put the pocket clip on the wrong end of the knife???  If the knife is business end DOWN in your pocket, then withdrawing it doesn't require you to reposition it prior to opening the damned thing.  But NOOOO... 9 of 10 have the pocket clip position the knife with the hinge end UP.  Can somebody 'splain this to me?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
Thanks.
Been looking for a place I can buy knives and sharpener kit at the same time.  I'll buy tons of stuff from them and tell them some dude on the internet named after a calculator button sent me.

Hey! They named the calculator button after ME, not the other way around!  :mad:

Quote from: Hutch
Hijack in progress...

Why, oh why do knife makers put the pocket clip on the wrong end of the knife???  If the knife is business end DOWN in your pocket, then withdrawing it doesn't require you to reposition it prior to opening the damned thing.  But NOOOO... 9 of 10 have the pocket clip position the knife with the hinge end UP.  Can somebody 'splain this to me?

A lot of Spyderco knives have pocket clips which can be installed on either end of the knife. But I've never found the direction of the pocket clip to be an issue. If the knife is positioned hinge side down, I put my thumb in my pocket alongside of the knife and pull the knife out of my pocket with my thumb on the stud or the thumbhole. If the knife is positioned hinge side up, I grab the hinge side of the knife between my thumb and forefinger. As I pull the knife out of my pocket I let the weight of the knife pivot the knife between my thumb and forefinger into my palm. The knife falls into my palm and my thumb ends up on the stud or thumbhole.
Andy