Author Topic: New house. Pre-wire with coax? Cat 6? Both?  (Read 8488 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: New house. Pre-wire with coax? Cat 6? Both?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »
I should add to all of this that at this very moment my parents are going through the "we shoulda done (X)" blues on the house they built just five years ago.  I tried to get Dad to do a couple of small things (cabling/wiring being the biggie, plus a couple of plumbing things) and he didn't because "we don't need it".  He's spent at least two grand over the last year having things either added or corrected that would have cost, at most, and extra $200-$300 if they'd been done during the build.

The next nicety they're going to face will be the flood that happens when any one of their three water heaters lets go. Dad didn't think that emergency drains were necessary even though I, the builder, and the plumber told him that it would be a very, very good idea.  Slab floor with lots of custom tile and very expensive barnwood flooring.  It's won't be pretty.  It may also be more expensive than he knows because some insurance companies won't pay for water damage due to water heater problems if you don't have an emergency drain in place.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB