Author Topic: I need a coffee maker for work  (Read 4623 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I need a coffee maker for work
« on: September 09, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
Just moved into a new building and the coffee situation is pathetic around here. Some crap-tastic little Mr Coffee that's a pain to use with a carafe that I can't pour without spilling about %90 of the time. Finishing up the 2014 budget and I need to put in some numbers for a quality industrial coffee maker. I'm looking for one with a built in hot water tap, hard piped or free standing both work. No Keurig or other nonsense.

On a related note, I'm hoping to get a decent grinder for my personal use. Budget would be around $50. Capable of both espresso and drip grinds preferred. Thoughts?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: I need a coffee maker for work
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »
Maybe you can find one here.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
^got a link?^ Them things are pretty scarce around here.....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »
I like the K cup ones
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »
restaurant auctions are good   
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »
On a related note, I'm hoping to get a decent grinder for my personal use. Budget would be around $50. Capable of both espresso and drip grinds preferred. Thoughts?

I have a Mr Coffee Burr grinder than is almost 7 years old. Just went to google it and they don't make it anymore.

A couple friends have this one, they love it and its on firesale price on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1378763871&sr=1-1

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 06:40:06 PM »
Every 4 or 5 year when we wear out the 12-cup coffee maker at work, I go to the Goodwill Store and buy us another one for $5.  (Company policy it has to be a fancy one with auto-shutoff)

I also really like those 30 cup percolators, but that's more coffee than even I can drink in a day.
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
woot home has a couple in todays garage sale
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »
I like the K cup ones

I've always been pretty fond of the D cup ones myself.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
I've become rather fond of the new trend to not make a burner on the coffee pot to keep it warm.  Instead they just have an insulated carafe. 

If you've ever come into the office and found that somebody left half a cm of coffee in the pot overnight with the burner on you'll understand why.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
We aren't allowed a coffee pot anymore :(

We had one guy that loved to make a pot, drink 3/4 and wander away without turning the damned thing off. Certain folks of sufficient pay grade got tired of smelling it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 09:08:57 PM »
I've become rather fond of the new trend to not make a burner on the coffee pot to keep it warm.  Instead they just have an insulated carafe.  

If you've ever come into the office and found that somebody left half a cm of coffee in the pot overnight with the burner on you'll understand why.

We got a lot of people who leave just a few millimeters of coffee in the bottom of the pot and walk away. Pisses the non coffee drinking secretary off royally. People do it because they are too busy to make a new pot.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:35:41 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »
The Bunn.  Pretty ubiquitous, must be good.  Our last one had a hot water reservoir, but you had to pour in water to drive the hot water out.  You can NOT do it quick enough to do this wit only on carafe.  Burnt coffee sucks.  Don't know of any industrial type brewers that use an insulated carafe, tho'.

My maker at home is a Krupps, with an insulated carafe.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
We got a lot of people who leave just a few millimeters of coffee in the bottom of the pot and walk away. Pisses the non coffee drinking secretary off royally. People due it because they are too busy to make a new pot.

This is why, although I use a french press at home, that I bought a Keurig for the office. I buy six Costco sized boxes a year of Neumann's or similar coffee that most people will drink, and then the rest of the staff is responsible for buying all the rest, including any of their specialty coffees, liberal free trade coffees or whatever the hell else they drink. Of course I still walk into the coffee mess at least once a week to find the "add water" light flashing.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »
I have a Mr Coffee Burr grinder than is almost 7 years old. Just went to google it and they don't make it anymore.

A couple friends have this one, they love it and its on firesale price on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1378763871&sr=1-1

I have that one as well, and it's a pretty good unit.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »
The Bunn.  Pretty ubiquitous, must be good.  Our last one had a hot water reservoir, but you had to pour in water to drive the hot water out.  You can NOT do it quick enough to do this wit only on carafe.  Burnt coffee sucks.  Don't know of any industrial type brewers that use an insulated carafe, tho'.

Yeah you can, but I'm out of practice.  You cover the hole in the bottom of the filter basket with your finger tip, pour the water in as fast as you can, then get the carafe in place before it starts to hurt and pull your finger away.
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »
Why would you want to?  The Bunn my parents bought in the 80s came with a plastic pot/bin/whatever for filling the tank while the carafe was on the burner.

FWIW, that Bunn made the weakest coffee regardless of how much you put into the basket.  I don't think the water was getting hot enough.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:41 PM »
We got a lot of people who leave just a few millimeters of coffee in the bottom of the pot and walk away.

We have those people too- they are called accountants.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »
Bunn of whatever model has the features you want.  Accept no substitutes if you want a quality unit.  My mom buys one every ten years.  She consumes more coffee than anyone I ever met.  Makes good drip coffee and lasts a long time.

I have started using these buggers:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Socket-F7C009q-Energy-Saving/dp/B003P2UMS0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378779967&sr=8-2&keywords=electrical+outlet+timer

Even if the coffee pot has a timer, I plug it into this.  Works great for other "I really don't want to leave this on over the weekend" appliances.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Levant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 10:36:28 PM »
Definitely a Bunn.  Get the new ones without the heated plate and they use the vacuum insulated pots.  I use one at home and it keeps the coffee hot for 5 or 6 hours.  At work they had to disable the heaters on all the makers (and that's a lot of makers) and get the insulated pots because people were always blowing up dry glass coffee pots.

I keep my own pot for the maker at work so I can make coffee in what I know to be a clean and uninfected pot.  I've seen too many guys who leave the restroom without washing or a quick rinse at best.  I don't want to eat anything from work.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 11:25:30 PM »
I don't drink coffee so have no opinion on which one makes the best tasting, but as far as break-room/office aggravation go things have been better at my work since the Bunn type with the burners was replaced with one that fills the aforementioned vacuum-insulated carafes. No nasty burnt coffee smell constantly floating through the office.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 06:17:46 AM »
Bunn is teh awesum for industrial coffee makers. We have one piped into the building water line in one of our conference/class rooms (with inline filter), and it's the bomb. It heats up the water to just below boiling - I think the setting is 205F, according to the LCD screen - and it'll brew a full pot in like 3 minutes. It's a glass-carafe-plus-warmer model, but it's been well attended, so it's never burned a half-cup of coffee into sludge on us.

The kitchen coffee maker is a no-name Nr. Coffee knockoff, not NEARLY as good. Not piped into the wall, doesn't heat the water enough, and still a glass-carafe-plus-warmer model, which people WILL ignore and create sludge from that last half-cup.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »
Have you considered

or

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.