Author Topic: After his kid’s HS football team loses 91-0, dad files BULLYING complaint  (Read 3716 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://news.yahoo.com/kid-high-school-football-team-loses-91-0-063403473.html

To quote my friend who posted this on facebook:
SUCK IT UP!! tell your kids to practice harder, someone has to win and someone has to loose! "Bullying" is getting used way too much! Its a game they lost!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Hey dad, maybe your kid (and his team) just sucks?
And now you suck.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Strange.  MSM reported that it was some mommy who whined.

Could it be that there is more than one parent who just cannot stand their little buttercup being less than first?

Also - supposedly the two teams were horribly mismatched.  The losers were coming off some time without a team and were fielding kids with maybe 2 weeks of practice, while the other team had an enviable record stretching back several years.  Both coaches knew that, and supposedly they asked their teams if they wanted to play or not.  More kids from the losing side said yes than the other side's kids, who supposedly expressed some concern about the unevenness of the match.

The mismatch came about because both schools are assigned to the same league by the school athletic association.  Blame, if any, ought to be heaped on their heads.

The coach of the losing team stated after the game that he had no complaints, and that he and the team would continue to build.  Supposedly he also said something like "Maybe one day we will beat them.  It's not our goal to get even, just to become that good."

Parents who want "mercy rules" are just telling their kids that they do not have the internal fortitude to deal with life.  But then, they have been telling their precious little snowflakes that since the day after they were conceived (if they got a late start).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
I wish I could say that I was surprised, but I am not.  I took an educational law class in law school.  Close to a third of the cases in the textbook involved some extended litigation on school sports, such as a kid being kicked off the team or some other restriction.  While I enjoyed high school sports, I have a hard time understanding parents that would spends 10's of thousands of dollars to litigate.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
*sigh*.  Running up the score like that is poor sportsmanship, and if I were the coach of the winning team I'd have put a halt to it.  But bullying?  No.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
*sigh*.  Running up the score like that is poor sportsmanship, and if I were the coach of the winning team I'd have put a halt to it.  But bullying?  No.

I haven't seen the game so I don't know if they were running up the score.

However, I would find it more insulting if they just started kneeling down starting in the 3rd quarter. From what I've read, the winning coach pulled the starters and was playing back-ups. It was just that much of a lopsided match-up.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Sergeant Bob

• friend

How do you suggest they remedy the situation? Fumble on purpose? Throw intentional interceptions? Run the ball into the opponent's end zone and down it? Run around like a bunch of clowns?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cordex

• Administrator
How do you suggest they remedy the situation? Fumble on purpose? Throw intentional interceptions? Run the ball into the opponent's end zone and down it? Run around like a bunch of clowns?
Seems like anything they did (including calling the game early) would be just as or more humiliating.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
*sigh*.  Running up the score like that is poor sportsmanship, and if I were the coach of the winning team I'd have put a halt to it.  But bullying?  No.
And they do this...how? "Sorry, you guys suck so bad we just can't keep doing this to yall. Call it a day?"
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
This has been on the radio a bit down here.  Supposedly, the winning team's starters only played a very short time.  It was the backups and scrups that never play that ran up the score.  The losing team was just THAT bad.  It is hard to tell kids that rarely play to take it easy. 

For the most part, blow out wins are not uncommon in high school and lower level sports.  You just end up with more mis-matches.  One high school will have future NFL players come through and be king of the world and then suck when those players graduate.  That happened to my home town a few years back.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
This has been on the radio a bit down here.  Supposedly, the winning team's starters only played a very short time.  It was the backups and scrubs that never play that ran up the score.  The losing team was just THAT bad.  It is hard to tell kids that rarely play to take it easy. 

Yep. I'd say the coach did all he could do without degrading his own students.

Hawkmoon

• friend
*sigh*.  Running up the score like that is poor sportsmanship, and if I were the coach of the winning team I'd have put a halt to it.  But bullying?  No.

We were discussing this over lunch at work today. Other than tell your kids to just drop the ball or stand still until the other side can tackle you (either of which would be an obvious and insulting gesture in itself), what the winning coach supposed to do in such a lopsided game? Maybe you started the first string, maybe you gave them a day off and started the second string, and by the end of the first period you've already got a lopsided margin and you're playing the third string -- or the jayvees -- and they're STILL racking up the points.

What more (or what less?) can the winning coach do? Sure, it's unsportsmanlike to run up the score, but how sportsmanlike is it TO EITHER TEAM to tell your kids not to play well? In essence, not to throw the game, but to throw a whole bunch of plays, or series. That's not fair to the kids on the good team, and I propose that it's also not fair to the kids on the poor team.

There is no good answer in a situation where league membership requires scheduling games between severely mismatched opponents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
I haven't seen the game so I don't know if they were running up the score.

However, I would find it more insulting if they just started kneeling down starting in the 3rd quarter. From what I've read, the winning coach pulled the starters and was playing back-ups. It was just that much of a lopsided match-up.

Based on my own experiances in playing sports, pulling the best players and putting the lesser players up front is pretty standard when facing a team that's that bad.

I know I always enjoyed getting to play for the goal on rare occasion. Defense is importent, but forwards always get all the love. :P

Having been on the losing side of that scenerio as well, I can say it's no less humuliating then having the other team go to knee or calling the game.

However, losing is a part of the game. My JV team was horrid. We lost every game that season. It sucked so bad. We had a few experianced forwards, a goalie and me, the only damn defender and a bunch of girls who where not even athletic, much less soccer players.
I was much more abusive to my fellow teammates then getting mad or upset with the teams kicking our butts.

You play to win. You can't blame the other team for doing the same thing. You can only blame your own team for sucking that bad.
And if your that bad, it's less about not losing, as it is getting to the point you don't lose so bad.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Lee

• friend
So they played the 3rd string. What about the cheerleaders?
Could there be a sexual discrimination lawsuit lurking here as well?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
I am guessing lots of folks never troubled to read both coaches statements? Definitely not bullying nor was it poor sportsmanship. Kids did just fine showed class on both teams. The parents that complained need to foad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
I am guessing lots of folks never troubled to read both coaches statements? Definitely not bullying nor was it poor sportsmanship. Kids did just fine showed class on both teams. The parents that complained need to foad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Parents are the worst part about kids/teen sports.

When your a kid, having the loud, obnoxious parent cheering is embarressing enough. Having the parent who fights with refs, coaches and other parents is social homicide.

My rec soccer league actually had rules. Refs could red card parents and a notice went out telling parents to cheer for all the kids on their kids team, not just their kid.

The kid with the parents who broke those rules usually had that "i want to sink into the turf and never go out in public again" look on their face.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Yep. I'd say the coach did all he could do without degrading his own students.

Maybe he should have suited up the cheerleaders at half time.

High school football is a the religion around here. There are always some teams that are almost always strong and some that are perennial losers. Sometimes it comes down to money. Sometimes the school district's gene pool just doesn't have any diversity.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
On the basis  of new information, I withdraw my statement.   =D
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

dogmush

• friend
On the basis  of new information, I withdraw my statement.   =D

They bullied you into a retraction?

HankB

• friend
Maybe the complaining parent thought that everyone ought to have gotten a medal, the same way he did as a youth while competing in the Special Olympics.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
When I played in High School our team won 1 game in 3 years.  Yes, we sucked.   Never got beat that bad, but there were some 31-0 blowouts.   I'm here in Indy now, and in today's paper they had a listing of tonight's games.  My High School is 9-0 this year and playing our perennial rivals.  I'm tempted to go watch.

Robert's Fall Baseball team sucked.  Bad.  They won 1 game all season (by 1 run and quite a few lucky bounces).  Every other game was 17-4, 18-2 and the like.  Worst was 37-5.  In that game, his team couldn't buy an out.   The other coach was telling his players to slow down when running the bases.  They stopped stealing when they had scored 15 runs.  His team was just bad.  Bad pitching, bad fielding, bad batting.  (only 3 players hit above the Mendoza Line, Robert being one.)

He want's to play football next fall. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
players job is to play.  Coaches job is to coach.  If there is some horrid mismatch, if things are lopsided, players still gotta play, coaches still have to coach.
Not all of life's inequities can be addressed.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
learning how to lose. not quit and come back again are valuable life lessons.
as is winning without being a *expletive deleted*che while at the same time not apologizing for being skilled. from what i gather the kids and coaches get it.kids can teach.old folks sometimes

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." --Theodore Roosevelt

"It's good, though..."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." --Theodore Roosevelt

Bully!