Author Topic: Pontiac Vibe?  (Read 4647 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Pontiac Vibe?
« on: May 15, 2006, 07:29:56 AM »
I'm almost to the point of getting some new wheels, anyone own a Pontiac Vibe or knows much about them. I want first hand knowledge because second hand knowledge can show bad points about all vehicles, even Honda's.

I know that they aren't the quickest ducks on the pond.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 07:43:34 AM »
It's ugly, that's all I can say about it.
EDIT:  Oops, I was thinking about the Pontiac Aztec.  

The Vibe isn't too bad.

Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 07:47:49 AM »
Its ugly and lacks an 8' bed, 4X4 and a V-8....

mtnbkr

• friend
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:49:38 AM »
Unfortunate name for a car.  It's related to the Toyota Matrix (I think they're from the same factory and also share a lot of parts).

Chris

Declaration Day

• friends
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 07:49:44 AM »
I don't have any personal experience with them, but FYI it's really a Toyota Matrix disguised as a Pontiac.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:00:22 AM »
Neighbors have one. They absolutely LOVE it. I think it's 2 years old right now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 08:51:50 AM »
Quote from: baus44
...and lacks an 8' bed, 4X4 and a V-8....
Yes it does, but If I wanted a pick-up I would have said.. so guys what do you think of the 2006 Chevy 2500 4x4 crew cab with duramax diesel?

I need something easy on gas but I can still load it up with wifey to be and my lab for a two week road trip. Plus I want a hatchback.

C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 11:10:06 AM »
Best of both worlds: own a Japanese car but get no threatening mail from disgruntled US auto workers. Smiley

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 02:22:40 PM »
Do you know what I'd just flat-out love? A Dodge Dakota-size truck with the diesel engine and 1 ton rear axle from the Dodge/Mercedes/Freightliner Sprint van. That big ol' van gets 25mpg. Think about how much better a smaller truck would get, and you'd still have the same towing capacity (5,000 pounds).
Blog under construction

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 03:47:55 PM »
MINI Cooper S. You will not be disappointed.
www. MINIusa.com
www. northamericanmotoring.com
Anything with a GM nameplate is to be avoided at all costs.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 04:02:02 PM »
now gary
you do know that you can not haul south american pack animals in a mini
don'tcha?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

grampster

• friend
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 04:36:07 PM »
New DIL has one.  
She likes it and it gets good gas mileage. New grandson told me that gay guys are always coming up to her and asking how she likes the car.  Heh Heh.  I'm not sure about the significance of that.  Not that there's anyting wrong with that.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 04:39:08 PM »
My good friends have one and LOVE it.

I drove it and drove in it.  Wasn't for me.  It just didn't feel right.

Personally, I'd drive one before I think about it too much.
One day at a time.

JAlexander

• friend
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
Quote from: Bogie
Do you know what I'd just flat-out love? A Dodge Dakota-size truck with the diesel engine and 1 ton rear axle from the Dodge/Mercedes/Freightliner Sprint van. That big ol' van gets 25mpg. Think about how much better a smaller truck would get, and you'd still have the same towing capacity (5,000 pounds).
So what you really want is for Toyota to import the Hilux to the USA.  Hey, me too.  Looking at the toyota.au Hilux figures, it gets an average of 29mpg with the diesel engine, tows 4960 lbs, and 160 hp.  I know I've said this before, but I'm convinced that if Toyota made the Hilux available in the USA there'd be a run on them.  A lot of the farmers and ranchers who're currently driving Ford, Chevy, and Dodge diesels would switch over.
If you want to see them, check here: http://hilux.toyota.com.au/toyota/vehicle/HomePage/0,4666,1586_544,00.html

James

Preacherman

Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 06:28:08 PM »
I agree - the Toyota Hi-Lux and similar pick-ups from other manufacturers would wipe the floor with US diesels.  I've driven them in Africa for years, and they're wonderful.  Unfortunately, US emission regulations prevent their being used here.  Personally, I think the saving on fuel that they'd provide would more than offset the emissions problem - burn less fuel, emit less gases, no?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 06:33:36 PM »
JAlexander, I think you have something there. The quad cab SR5 would be the heat.

Same thing for the Land Cruisers. No, not the overpriced yuppie haulers they sell here. I'm talking about the beat 'em to heck off road vehicles that Toyota used to put up against the Land Rover Defenders.

Strings

Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 06:37:02 PM »
I used to have an Aztek (had financial problems, let the Aztek go). While they're about the ugliest thing on the road, THE only more comfortable vehicle I've ever been in was an old Starcraft conversion van (and THAT was a cathouse on wheels). Mileage was good, and I could haul almost anything I needed to anywhere I needed to go (Spoon and I went camping in it a couple times). My ONLY complaint with it was that it was an automatic (standard not available)...

Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 08:43:20 PM »
Personally, I think the saving on fuel that they'd provide would more than offset the emissions problem - burn less fuel, emit less gases, no?
Your not kidding. It is even more absurd that U.S. emmisions laws prevent the import of virtually all modern-tech small displacement motorcycles. We are talking about vehicles that get 75-80 miles to the gallon, but they make such effecient use of their displacement that they cannot pass our emissions laws. There are some *really* cool machines that we wont ever get to see because of a set of laws that completely ignore every pacticality in favor of beurocracy.

I really wish that someone would bring back the *compact* pick-up, I looked at Toyota Tacomas recently, and imagine my dissapointment to discover that they have grown into the "mid-size" category which prohibits me ability to park it anywhere that would be convenient for me.

mfree

• friend
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 05:13:09 AM »
Back when they were starting up, I would have had one of the Crosslander 4x4's in a heartbeat. You know, the Romanian ARO knockoffs. Originally they were supposed to be supplied with an IH turbodiesel, a small one. It would have been perfect, land rover style off road capabilities with 25mpg and 5000lb towing.

Then they went with a Ford 4l V6. Bleh.

TarpleyG

• friend
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 06:37:58 AM »
Quote from: Bogie
...gets 25mpg. Think about how much better a smaller truck would get, and you'd still have the same towing capacity (5,000 pounds).
Yeah, it's called a Chevy Colorado.  I have one and love it.

Greg

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 06:41:10 AM »
Quote from: garyk/nm
MINI Cooper S. You will not be disappointed.
www. MINIusa.com
www. northamericanmotoring.com
Anything with a GM nameplate is to be avoided at all costs.
I'm interested in the Cooper but just isn't big enough for my needs.

I've had good luck with GM products.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

mfree

• friend
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 10:13:23 AM »
C_Yeager, I've parked my little Sonoma next to a new Colorado once and it seemed just a few inches different. On the other hand, the same Sonoma ('03) feels absolutely dwarfed by my father's '93 Ranger 4x4 extended cab. It's all perception at some point... the Ranger is nearly the same size save for a 2' stretch and some height.

I wish I could get a small diesel in a small pickup though... I got as close as I could come, '03 Sonoma SL with the base 2.2 and five speed. 27mpg highway, and I can still haul stuff. Not feeling guilty (or broke) while commuting alone is a huge plus Smiley

EDIT: BOGIE, DUDE! I've seen it with my own eyes, there are Sprinter box cabs out there. I passed the local dodge dealership once and rub my eyes, there's a Sprinter with a stake bed. Hideous, but with all the features you're after Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 10:16:14 AM »
Yeah I wish I could get a small 4x4 pickup truck that was diesel too.

I have a 91 S-10 Short Bed 2wd, 5 speed, 2.8 with 106K that gets 27 mph on the highway pulling my 14' boat. Why can't GM still make these?

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Pontiac Vibe?
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 10:24:10 AM »
Not a big fan of the Colorado/Canyon myself.  They seemed preoccupied with rakish angles on the sheetmetal, and how cheap they could make the plastic interior pieces look.  I was looking at one to replace my '01 S-10 single cab, and walked away disappointed after the test drive.  Within a couple of days, I decided to buy an extra extended warranty for the S-10.  Looking back, it wasn't a bad idea, the 2.2L 5-speed is dual-fuel capable, and I just sent a job application to an ethanol plant here in Wisconsin.  Could be a beautiful relationship!

Regarding the "GM products are to be avoided at all costs" zinger, I could very easily say the same of the Ford products I used to own and have since walked away from, including a fairly recent Explorer model.  Bottom line, everybody in the automotive business builds a lemon or 1000.  It's up to the consumer to find out if they won the prize.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"