Author Topic: Anybody here breathe fire?  (Read 3858 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Anybody here breathe fire?
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:39:56 PM »
I've been practicing off and on for about a month now. Finally lit up tonight. Pretty cool. It didn't taste as bad as I'd expected, though the lamp oil lingers for a while, and feels kind of slimy. The fire seems a lot bigger and closer than when others are doing it.
Am I the only one here?
Hi.

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
Re: Anybody here breathe fire?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »
Next time try Bacardi 151 or if it's legal where you live then get Everclear.
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:19:48 PM »
I use lamp oil because it has a much higher flash point than alcohol. Thus making it much less likely that I'll burn my face off or inhale flames.
Hi.

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:21:39 PM »
I once met a friend's mother in law who did that.

Funny, she didn't need any such liquids...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »
Only after eating the 5 star curry and chicken down at the Thai place...  shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:06:43 AM »
Only after eating the 5 star curry and chicken down at the Thai place...  shocked

He said *breathe* fire. Tongue

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 02:56:56 AM »
I've seen it done at a strip club in San Antonio.  It was talent night.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 03:01:58 AM »

Chris
Oops, my bad...  laugh

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 05:10:52 AM »
Next time try Bacardi 151 or if it's legal where you live then get Everclear.
Do not.  Ever.  Do this.

As Fjolnirsson says, ethanol has a very low flash point, and it is very easy for the fire to come back and get you.  I know this first hand (so to speak).  Fortunately the burns on my face were only mostly first degree, with small areas of second-degree.  My hair and beard eventually grew back.  I'm lucky I didn't inhale in reaction; I could have burned my lungs.

Fjolnirsson, a word of caution regarding fire-breathing.  I have worked Renaissance Faires and thus been acquainted with a number of fire-breathers, and recently met a man who is the leader of a fire-spinning group; pretty much everyone agrees that fire-breathing is even more dangerous in the long term than in the short term, because the fuel you use can actually seep into your bloodstream through your mucus membranes.  Most "lamp oil" has at least some kerosene in it, and that's not something you want running around inside your body.

Just my two cents.
-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 06:58:49 AM »
Hold on, are you guys talking about something like coating your mouth with flammables, then breathing out and lighting the fumes or whatever up?  shocked The topic of this thread isn't a code for something less innocuous?  shocked

Now I'm morbidly curious. Wink grin Care to explain in detail just how to go about breathing fire?
Andy

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »

Chris
Oops, my bad...  laugh
Yeah, but ya sure save on matches!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TMM

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 01:08:23 PM »
Hold on, are you guys talking about something like coating your mouth with flammables, then breathing out and lighting the fumes or whatever up?  shocked The topic of this thread isn't a code for something less innocuous?  shocked

Now I'm morbidly curious. Wink grin Care to explain in detail just how to go about breathing fire?

more like taking a mouthful of the stuff, and while spitting/spraying/spewing it out, light it on fire.

~tmm

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 01:11:50 PM »
Only after drinking shots of tequilla and tobasco...

Known affectionately as prairie fires.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 02:01:20 PM »
I've been practicing off and on for about a month now. Finally lit up tonight. Pretty cool. It didn't taste as bad as I'd expected, though the lamp oil lingers for a while, and feels kind of slimy. The fire seems a lot bigger and closer than when others are doing it.
Am I the only one here?

Ask BrokenPaw about a camp fire and a bottle of 151.   angel

I'm half tempted to tell the story of his attempted "Burning Man" imitation.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Strings

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:14:54 PM »
C'mon, Unca RevDisk: tell us the story 'bout Unca BrokenPaw! PLEEAASE?!?!??

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »
PULEEEAASSSEEE!!

If you happen to catch KISS you'll notice Gene Simmons no longer blows fire. There's a reason for that!  grin

Reminds me of the first KISS concert I saw. About 5 rows behind me, before the show started, some idjit was blowing big balls of fire over my head. I could feel the heat on the back of my neck when he did. It wasn't too long before a group of security guys had him all lock armed and headed out the door.  laugh

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »
I've seen it done at a strip club in San Antonio.  It was talent night.

Wrong orifice El T.   grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 04:33:32 PM »

Wait, wouldn't it be Aunt Brokenpaw? Wink

(at least I think she is a woman...)
Andy

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 04:36:41 PM »

Ask BrokenPaw about a camp fire and a bottle of 151.   angel

I knew a girl in high school who accidentally lit herself up with everclear punch and a cigarette.  It wasn't too bad, but it prevented me from ever wanting to blow alcohol on a flame.
For entertainment purposes only.

Maser

• friend
    • The Teen Guns Forum
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 06:18:01 PM »
Well, I have done it and I only did it with high proof alcohol.  Not really on the subject here, but recently I accidently sprayed my hair with 91% rubbing alcohol. Thank God I am not a smoker.
Why must life be so hard? Why must I cry? Why must I be so wrong? Why must I die?

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 05:10:59 AM »
Well, if I am, then BrokenMa's in for a shock when I tell her...  Smiley

Go ahead, Disk, tell them if you must.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 08:14:23 AM »
Well, if I am, then BrokenMa's in for a shock when I tell her...  Smiley

Go ahead, Disk, tell them if you must.

-BP

Darn! Don't ask me how I got that notion, 'cause I have no idea. Sorry for the assumption.
Andy

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 08:25:03 AM »
Quote from: cosine
Darn! Don't ask me how I got that notion, 'cause I have no idea. Sorry for the assumption.
No worries.  I hadn't noticed any particular difference in the way you treated me based upon whether I had indoor or outdoor plumbing, so no harm, no foul.  Smiley

-BP

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 02:33:10 PM »

Well, it was a fine evening back in Ye Olde Days.  Apparently Uncie BrokenPaw was given responsibility of making a fire wheel.   As everyone knows, "Aunt" Brokenpaw is rather proud of his Viking ish hair style.  Unfortunately said Viking ish hair styles are not conducive towards flamable liquids.  Hence, Uncie BrokenPaw amused everyone by lighting his hair on fire.

Of course, the next year, everyone again wanted Brokenpaw to set up the fire wheel to provide more entertainment.   

I on the other hand was being a responsible adult, and pretending to be a dragon by igniting 151 with a bonfire.   angel
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BrokenPaw

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 05:37:26 AM »
Oh, for the love of Pete...  If you're going to tell embarrassing stories about me in a public forum, do try to make them accurate.   smiley

I didn't set my hair on fire while lighting the fire wheel.  I set my gloves on fire while lighting the fire wheel.  Also I very nearly set one of the Grove members on fire with it, too, but he was rather more agile than I expected, so he got out of the way. 

I set my face and hair on fire later that evening, using Bacardi 151 to blow fireballs.  Some of it had gotten into my beard, and when the back-flash occurred, it set that on fire.  When I pulled back, a thick strand of my hair wrapped around my face and caught.  I had the presence of mind to cover all of the burning parts with my (thankfully rum-free) hands, and it all immediately went out.  But I had a blistered area near my chin, and a streak of burn-scar leading up my cheek (from where the strand of hair had burned) for a week or so.  It gave be a fetchingly-raffish look, I like to think.  Smiley

On another note, I don't know that my hair can  be described as "viking-ish".  Whether I like it or not, the nature of my hair and the constantly-furrowed state of my brow (from shouting at kidsh to get off my lawn) has caused people to tell me that I should go trick-or-treating as a Klingon.  ("You wouldn't even need any makeup!" they say, the insufferable whippershnappersh.)

-BP