Author Topic: My "Wierd Everyone Out" post for the day  (Read 3354 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
My "Wierd Everyone Out" post for the day
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:46:53 AM »
This is going to sound strange, but it's something I've thought about for a long time.  You see, I've always thought I was destined for greatness.  No, not Patton-esque "destined to (insert specific accomplishment here)", just an overall absolute certainty that I will be or do something incredible and wonderful.  As of late it's become something of an obsession, fueled in part, I imagine, by the underlying psychological significance of the 4 that will prefix my age come next January.

Trouble is, I don't know what to do.  More specifically, I can't decide what not to do.  You see, the problem is not lack of interest.  Rather, it's an overabundance of it.  I'm interested in everything - you name it and I'll set to learning all I can about it, sometimes to the point of being rediculous.  Every direction I look there's something I could do or be.  All this "want to" but not enough of me to hit every point of interest, not by a long shot.  I liken it to the contestant in the money box - so much money blowing around they can't decide which one to grab.  Unfortunately, the end result is that they usually don't get anything.

Therein lies the crux of my dilemma.  I'm so interested in everything that I haven't really specialized in anything.  It's comically maddening at times.  And in the back of my mind - every waking hour of every day - this "destiny" thing sitting there like a caged animal, just pacing, biding it's time, and waiting for the moment it can spring free.  Except now it's pressing agains the bars and trying to push it's way out.

Okay, that probably makes me sound slightly nuts.  But, hey, who isn't at times?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: My "Wierd Everyone Out" post for the day
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:50:52 AM »
Brad for first gay president!   angel
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 11:14:29 AM »
Make a list.  Sort it by stuff that is most likely to be achieved and turn to.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON MAGGOT!

Just kidding...

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 11:15:54 AM »
I've always wanted to do something great, or be someone great, but every time I think about it, it just always appears like a lot of work. Wink

Andy

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:18:44 AM »
Your destiny is to have a scotch and a smoke.  Everything else is window dressing.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 11:26:25 AM »
http://www.atomfilms.com/film/wanna_famous.jsp

I'll now sit back and wait for a hard question. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 11:40:37 AM »
This is going to sound strange, but it's something I've thought about for a long time.  You see, I've always thought I was destined for greatness.  No, not Patton-esque "destined to (insert specific accomplishment here)", just an overall absolute certainty that I will be or do something incredible and wonderful.  As of late it's become something of an obsession, fueled in part, I imagine, by the underlying psychological significance of the 4 that will prefix my age come next January.

Trouble is, I don't know what to do.  More specifically, I can't decide what not to do.  You see, the problem is not lack of interest.  Rather, it's an overabundance of it.  I'm interested in everything - you name it and I'll set to learning all I can about it, sometimes to the point of being rediculous.  Every direction I look there's something I could do or be.  All this "want to" but not enough of me to hit every point of interest, not by a long shot.  I liken it to the contestant in the money box - so much money blowing around they can't decide which one to grab.  Unfortunately, the end result is that they usually don't get anything.

Therein lies the crux of my dilemma.  I'm so interested in everything that I haven't really specialized in anything.  It's comically maddening at times.  And in the back of my mind - every waking hour of every day - this "destiny" thing sitting there like a caged animal, just pacing, biding it's time, and waiting for the moment it can spring free.  Except now it's pressing agains the bars and trying to push it's way out.

Okay, that probably makes me sound slightly nuts.  But, hey, who isn't at times?

Brad

Being a dilettante unfortunately only works if you're part of a family of old money that you can live off of. Then you can have your dabblings with sciences and philosophy and arts, amateurs in all.

Everyone else has to decide and get a job.  grin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »

Make a list.  Sort it by stuff that is most likely to be achieved and turn to.

I had a list.  Over the years it's graduated from there to pamphlet, then to notebook, now to novel.

Being a dilettante

Ick.  If I'd have know that's what it's called I wouldn't have said anything.  grin

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 11:48:15 AM »
"The Lubbock Slasher."
Everyone thought of Brad as a mild-mannered real estate agent.  And he was.  Until the Bush campaign came to town......
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 11:48:47 AM »
I think you should go fishing.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
40? Damn, wish I was turning 40...  sad

Just pick two, three at the most and concentrate on those. I have the same problem. I find I can devote my spare time to only two interests at a time. Anything after that and they all suffer.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 12:17:05 PM »
Life is a dimsum - try a bit of everything palatable.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
Nothing weird about your thoughts at all.

The people I've known who have become great at something focused on that one thing, almost to the exclusion of everything else.

I remember the "60 Minutes" interview with Bob Dylan from a couple of years ago. He said that he always knew he was going to make it big. He didn't say it in a boasting fashion, just said that he had that feeling.

Let's hope you make it.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 01:19:30 PM »

The people I've known who have become great at something focused on that one thing, almost to the exclusion of everything else.

That's the hard part - letting go of everything else you've invested time and effort into, including your knowledge and skill, so that you can pursue greatness in one thing.  At least that's my problem.  For the most part, I feel about the same way you do.  I'm starting to think that many of us were not meant to find professions or paths in life that we are passionate about.  Without that drive, it's hard to get yourself to the top.  I'm assuming this is the kind of greatness you were talking about.

There is another way to be great without focusing on a specific thing.  Do the right thing, in the right place, at the right time.  This is available to almost anyone, but it requires extraordinary luck.

You can also be great by sharing your time with those around you.  Unless you're Mother Teresa or the donor of large sums of money, this probably won't get you much recognition, but those you help will think you're great.

Anyway, let us know when you decide what you want to become great at.  We'll try to help.  smiley

(Don't forget to mention us in your acceptance speech.)
For entertainment purposes only.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 01:36:08 PM »
Being a dilettante

Ick.  If I'd have know that's what it's called I wouldn't have said anything.  grin

Brad

That isn't the term, the term is "renaissance man".  Like Thomas Jefferson or Teddy Roosevelt.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »
Give it time.  Most people's greatness is not recognized till long after their dead.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 05:26:49 PM »
Give it time.  Most people's greatness is not recognized till long after their dead.

I hereby offer to assist, for $15,000 in used, unmarked, non-consecutive bills, anyone who desires help along the path to earlier recognition of their greatness.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 05:56:40 PM »
Hell, I'm 63 and I'm still waiting for that special piece of greatness to occur.
There have been myriad times that I should have been killed or maimed, but dodged the bullet.  That is why I know that I still have that one stupendous thing that needs to be done.  But that's the fun part...the waiting.  I haven't had to do a blessed thing.  Being successful is work.  Who wants to work?  More fun waiting.

I think I'll go open a bottle of wine now. grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 05:50:40 AM »
After you've read Charles Murray's Human Accomplishment, you'll shake off any delusions that we are all destined to "greatness" as defined by society: wealth, power, intellectual influence, artistic accomplishment, etc.

It is not a downer, it is another heaping hunk of evidence in support of the "Great Man Theory*" of history...and just how dominant those few greats were in their respective fields.

---------------

In my own case, I strive to make an impact where I can and focus my abilities & experience in service to that impact.  For instance, my ability to make some sort of impact or have some influence was increased when I left military service and began engineering work.  I was able to convert some of what I learned in the service into tangible & positive change to the benefit of those who use our stuff and increase the understanding of those who are responsible for acquiring that stuff.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »
After you've read Charles Murray's Human Accomplishment, you'll shake off any delusions that we are all destined to "greatness" as defined by society: wealth, power, intellectual influence, artistic accomplishment, etc.

It is not a downer, it is another heaping hunk of evidence in support of the "Great Man Theory*" of history...and just how dominant those few greats were in their respective fields.

I've just taken a gander at the book... its a bound and published hunk of nonsense.  Some of the conclusions arn't disagreeable to my own views and beliefs, its just that the guy is trying to reduce greatness to statistics (I don't think thats really quantifiable) and the statistical manipulation is faulty as all get out.  I hate junk science.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 09:26:59 AM »
Me, I always thought I was desined for Grape Nuts.

Another bowl?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 10:19:26 AM »

Another bowl?

Mike, you are nuts.  And yes, I'll take mine with 2% and a little sugar, thanks.

grin

Brad
-HankB

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 10:23:18 AM »
Mix a little Grape Nuts in wit your favorite yogurt. Let em soften for a bit. MMMmmmmmm...  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »
Grape Nuts are REALLY hard.

Maybe Jim Zumbo should write a blog about assault cereals.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 06:26:11 AM »

Another bowl?

I think those things cause hearing loss.