Author Topic: US tourist allegedly kills mugger with bare hands  (Read 2729 times)

Ron

US tourist allegedly kills mugger with bare hands
« on: February 22, 2007, 05:09:31 PM »
US tourist allegedly kills mugger with bare hands
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica

A tour bus of US senior citizens defended themselves against a group of alleged muggers, sending two of them fleeing and killing a third in the Atlantic coast city of Limon, Costa Rica police said on Thursday.

One of the tourists - a retired member of the US military - put assailant Warner Segura in a head lock and broke his clavicle after the 20-year-old and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus Wednesday, said Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 130 kilometers (80 miles) east of San Jose.

The two other men fled when the 12 senior citizens started defending themselves. The tourists then drove Segura to the Red Cross where the man was declared dead. The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said.

I guess 9/11 has had more of a lasting effect than I thought. This story is great!

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1171894499368&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: US tourist allegedly kills mugger with bare hands
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:11:57 PM »
Outstanding!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:30:53 PM »
Broke...COLLARBONE?  shocked

I suppose the guy was retired SEAL or special ops of some sort? That's not something they teach everyone in basic, is it?

Impressive. 

mfree

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 06:38:34 PM »
Hey, think about it.. collarbone's right there, all he had to do was squeeze a little hard and press down. *crack*

Probably bled to death internally. There's a lot of vital stuff running up that region.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:01:33 PM »
That's one tough 70 year old.

Don't jack with Gramps.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 01:54:59 AM »
Broke...COLLARBONE?  shocked

I suppose the guy was retired SEAL or special ops of some sort? That's not something they teach everyone in basic, is it?

Impressive. 

Actually, while I don't think its a technique taught now, some of the old hand to hand techniques taught how to break a collarbone.
 The Collarbone isn't hard to break, only takes about 20lbs of force to do so.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 02:38:28 AM »
I now have a new reason to fear the elderly.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 02:39:48 AM »
Hee Hee Heeeeee....  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 03:03:02 AM »
mfree, yes but you have to get the angle right which can be really tough when everyone is squirming around.  The collarbone, like the neck, is easier to break with qin na but angle dependent.  Easier to break the collarbone with an elbow. smiley
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 03:17:17 AM »
I nominated this as the "feel good" story of the day!  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:32:01 AM »
One of the reports (I'll try to find the link) said the guy was asphyxiated.  So gramps gets him in a choke hold, breaks the collarbone, and somewhere in the tussle bg gets his larynx crushed...

Go Gramps!!!!!!!!!!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 08:41:06 AM »
One of the reports (I'll try to find the link) said the guy was asphyxiated.  So gramps gets him in a choke hold, breaks the collarbone, and somewhere in the tussle bg gets his larynx crushed...

I don't know.  I've frequently head-locked people (just joking around) only to have them tap out, complaining that they can't breathe.  I don't really try for it, it just seems to happen.  No one's larynx seems to have been crushed. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
You don't have to crush a larynx to kill someone in a headlock
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 09:16:52 AM »
Could be gramps busted the collarbone in the scuffle, then sank down his headlock right proper-like.

You don't have to crush a larynx to kill someone in a headlock.  Just sink it properly & squeeze down, the larynx going in the crook of the elbow, the forearm & biceps muscles constricting the blood vessels on the side of the neck.  Unconsciousness* comes in seconds, death in minutes.

If his larynx was not crushed, the above is a likely cause of death.

Anyway, I'm downing a beer in honor of gramps & his buddies this PM.  Considering I just got diagnosed with pneumonia, gramps could likely kick my *expletive deleted*ss around the block and make me cry like a little girl.

*  Done the uncoscious-part to others in training & had others do same to me.  DO NOT think you're gonna be a tough guy & wait until you're on the edge of going out before tapping.  That is a good way to end up napping on the mat.  Tap as soon as your opponent has it sunk properly & call it good 'nuff.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 09:41:01 AM »
I dunno, I kinda dig the light-headed feeling you get as the old grape runs out of O2, and the way your vision starts to tunnel down and there's nothing you can do about it.

I try to tap out a bit after that kicks in.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »
I dunno, I kinda dig the light-headed feeling you get as the old grape runs out of O2, and the way your vision starts to tunnel down and there's nothing you can do about it.

I try to tap out a bit after that kicks in.

That's endorphins cutting in due to hypoxia.  It's not a good thing.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 04:45:17 PM »

Too true. You want an endorphan rush?  Go for a run or try skydiving.

Good on Gramps.  I'll be hoisting one in his honor tonight after work.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Warren

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
Is Preacherman on vacation?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 05:45:43 PM »

Too true. You want an endorphan rush?  Go for a run or try skydiving.

Well, I was able to do both those other things at taxpayer expense as well.  Could this explain my memory problems or distrac....

Look! A bird!

grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."