Author Topic: Does anybody have a bolo knife?  (Read 1267 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Does anybody have a bolo knife?
« on: February 24, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
If not, anybody here have hefted one?

I'm looking for a gardening/rooting tool (in this case very small trees). I've been switching back and forth between a machete and a hatchet, neither of which is quite right. The hatchet is too short (overall), and the blade is too short, the machete is too long (overall) and the blade too light.

For some reason the word "bolo" got stuck in my head when I was thinking of what I needed, and when I googled it, it looks like the length and shape is right for my purposes.

Does anyone know if a bolo blade is heavier (thicker) than a machete blade, or is it just a differently-shaped machete?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

JimMarch

• friend
Re: Does anybody have a bolo knife?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 04:53:34 PM »

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 04:57:48 PM »
I've got a Junglee Bolo, and it's a pretty good blade. Good for clearing brush in the woods or some light chopping. Can't remember the blade length unfortunately, and I'm not at home to measure it at the moment.

Either way, Jim March is right. You are looking for a Khukri. I wish mine was one. They are really solid performers, especially at tasks like you seem to be looking for.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »
The Woodman's Pal works great for what you want. A little pricey..but it's very well made and will last forever.  I bought mine for clearing ATV trails and trees for tree stands, and shooting lanes...but it ends up in my garage every spring because I'm always finding a use for it around the yard.
http://www.woodmanspal.com/