Author Topic: Confession of an Ex-Lurker  (Read 1849 times)

Warhorse

Confession of an Ex-Lurker
« on: November 24, 2007, 05:20:26 PM »
In another post, one of the long-time members of this forum commented on an ascerbic remark I made with only my sixth post on this forum.

Well, OK. That's true. I don't post much, largely because I believe that when you are talking you aren't learning anything. However, I have been lurking for a long time before finally joining this forum. I did the same with THR, although joined there much sooner.

This post constitutes something of a "hello" to all of you and an expression of appreciation for the enjoyment I have had from reading many of the discussion on this forum, some surprisingly well thought out. There is almost none of the nonsense that precluded me from more than a cursory examination of the AR-15 forum(s), for example. Coming from me, that constitutes high praise.

I'm a bit long in the tooth, now, but still quite active and fully enjoying retirement. (I highly recommend it!) I left the Army in the mid-1960's as a captain but remained with the Dept of Defense as an electronics engineer for the rest of my career. I now get to indulge myself with so many of my interests that I cannot figure out how I ever had time to go to work when I was other than gainfully unemployed.

I have been told that I have a somewhat warped sense of humor, so will probably fit in well with most of you from what I have seen so far. That still doesn't mean that I plan to post very much. Benjamin Franklin said, among many other wise quips, "It is far better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt!" Now that's food for thought!

In any event, "Hello!" and if I am foolish enough to make some more posts, please be gentle with me.

Warhorse
Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Confession of an Ex-Lurker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »
Welcome!
Hi.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 05:40:47 PM »
Ole' Ben would get a full serving of that of which he spoke if he was still around.

Welcome Warhorse.  APS is sort of held in disrepute by some folks because the banter here tends to be generally non specific and light hearted in nature.  Most everyone, though, came here with an interest in firearms and freedom from TFL, THR, and TAC inter alia.  I'm sure you've figgered that out.

I'm also up there in years and another voice of wisdom will certainly be welcomed due to the fact there are so many young know it alls around here. of the younger persuasion around here.  grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »
Welcome to APS!

I look forward to some of your acerbic wit, as long as it isn't directed at me, lol!  laugh

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »
In another post, one of the long-time members of this forum commented on an ascerbic remark I made with only my sixth post on this forum. 

You mean the one about banning me?  I think he was just remarking on how quickly you had recognized my ban-worthiness.  Won't happen though.  I keep Mike Irwin well-paid.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
Fistful, maybe we can come up with enough $$ to make it worth his while ?!?!?!?  shocked

grin
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 08:51:42 PM »
Welcome to APS as a poster, Warhorse.  smiley
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Barbara

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 11:54:33 PM »
Welcome.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Yup, I was just commenting on how quickly you pick up on stuff!  grin

There's always room for another vet around here, there's lots of us, fistful is an Army vet. (IIRC) How the Army survived him is a question for another day. laugh

Welcome!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 07:49:05 AM »
Fistful, maybe we can come up with enough $$ to make it worth his while ?!?!?!?  shocked

grin

Hmmm......I think you are on to something.

Oh, and welcome Warhorse.
One day at a time.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »
APS is sort of held in disrepute by some folks because the banter here tends to be generally non specific and light hearted mean spirited and narrow minded in nature.

Fixed it for you.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »

You mean the one about banning me?  I think he was just remarking on how quickly you had recognized my ban-worthiness.  Won't happen though.  I keep Mike Irwin well-paid.   cheesy

Yea, they don't call him 'Fistful' for nuthin'.....

(Just kidding, FF!  grin )
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »
APS is sort of held in disrepute by some folks because the banter here tends to be generally non specific and light hearted mean spirited and narrow minded in nature.

Fixed it for you.

Nobody's puttin' a gun to ya head. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »
Your last check bounced, you pischer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 01:07:39 PM »
Drat!!  What's a pischer? 

Warhorse

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »
Good grief! Did I start something? All I wanted to do was say hello.

BTW, I think Mike Irwin meant "piker."  grin

Warhorse
Warhorse

Duty, Honor, Country is NOT out of style!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 02:07:58 PM »
Nobody's puttin' a gun to ya head. 

Oh, and all this time those threatening phone calls with "You better not ban him or else" with the cryptic caller ID "M Irwin" meant nothing?!?!?!!??!
One day at a time.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 06:59:46 PM »
Drat!!  What's a pischer? 

A pischer is a person who changes their name to La Fontaine to try to sound refined.  In the good old days when last names were first invented, the name was related to the employment or personality of the person, or described their relationship to someone else.  Examples, in reverse order, are John Jackson, who obviously was John, the son of Jack; Edgar Crank, who either was a crotchety old cuss even as a youngster or the guy that turned the thingy to hoist the bucket from the bottom of the well; and Leroy La Fontaine, who was best known for his lifetime of imitation of that statue out on the lawn of the little boy with the jug on his shoulder but the water comes from below his waist.  Before Leroy changer his last name to La Fountaine he was called Leroy the pischer.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 05:53:32 AM »
Had I meant piker, I would have said piker.

Pischer can mean a number of things in the Yiddish vernacular.

In the sense I'm using it, it means rookie, pretender, or amateur.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.