Author Topic: Don't say offensive words in school.  (Read 696 times)

griz

• friend
Don't say offensive words in school.
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:45:03 AM »
Not sure who to believe on this one, but if the kids parents are not stretching the truth, this kid was suspended for saying the word "noose".  Does the mere mention of the word offend?  Here is the story:

Accusations of racism in a Lee's Summit high school have lead to suspensions, but now the parents say their kids were unfairly punished.

There's apparently been some racial tension in the band at Lee's Summit West, specifically on the drum line.  Students were talked to a couple weeks ago because both the black and white kids were using the "n word" and the band director told them to stop.  But then talk about a noose landed a couple kids in big trouble.

Travis Grigsby loves playing drums, but he and his friend Alex Coday weren't able to play for two weeks after they were suspended.  It started after the band's performance at a football game.  Some kids on the drum line said they were talking about the best knots to use to tie up the drum equipment.

"Someone asked if anybody knew how to tie a noose and Travis did admit he knew how to tie a noose," Kim Grigsby said.

Travis' mom said her son is almost an Eagle Scout, he knew how to tie it, but told his friends he wouldn't because you could get in trouble for that.  Later, a black student on the drum line told the teacher he was offended.

"Travis was accused of using a racial slur for saying the word 'noose.' Then he was suspended for 10 days," Kim said.

She said the school district accused the boys of having a racially charged conversation about nooses, but Travis and Alex insist that's not what happened.

"I don't feel they let Alex or Travis tell their side of the story," Kim said.

Alex's parents wrote to the district saying this is pushing the kids apart instead of bringing them together.  Other kids and parents agree.

"We just want what's fair for our boys," Kim said. "They're good boys, get good grades, participate in school activities."

The school did shorten the kids' school suspension to only five days, but it will affect their grades.

"They are being punished beyond what is even near reasonable," Kim said.

The school district said it can't comment because of privacy issues, but said no one is aware of any racial tensions at the school.  The administrators said they did investigate it thoroughly.

Tess Koppelman, FOX 4 News

Here is a link:  http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4982891&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Don't say offensive words in school.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:47:43 AM »
If I ever have kids I will home school them.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:02:56 AM »
I'm completely offended by that story.  I hope the entire school administration is suspended due to my offense.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:05:28 AM »
Did you read about this in the news ?

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin