Author Topic: Wikileaks  (Read 4052 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Wikileaks
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »
It ain't just Snowden!

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

It seems the CIA has been trying to out-NSA the NSA. I think the article raises a VERY salient question: Why are we paying these competing agencies to waste time, energy, money, and other resources on redundant programs that they don't share with each other -- and apparently not even with the President? And it's not just the CIA and the NSA -- we also have (I think) the DIA (Defense Intelligence Agency), and the FBI probably has a cyber team or three, and who knows what other alphabet agencies are playing computer cloak-and-dagger? If Trump wants to drain the swamp he's going to need to consolidate ALL these cyber intelligence/cyber warfare groups into one, and completely eliminate all similar functions from all other agencies.

Of course, if he were to try to do that the NSA would either create a dossier to have him impeached, or just outright shoot him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Wikileaks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
It seems the CIA has been trying to out-NSA the NSA. I think the article raises a VERY salient question: Why are we paying these competing agencies to waste time, energy, money, and other resources on redundant programs that they don't share with each other -- and apparently not even with the President?

Same reason every alphabet agency has its own armed LE staff.  IMO, enlarge the USMS as legitimately needed for them to handle all the Federal SWAT and asset protection needs.  Lesser concerns to be handled by cooperation with local LE.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »
Whoops. I posted in Round Table, roughly around the same time. Stopped to read a few things. I can delete?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »
Whoops. I posted in Round Table, roughly around the same time. Stopped to read a few things. I can delete?

The NSA said: No, you can not. It's already archived.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »
I'm fairly sure the NSA isn't still holding a grudge, dogmush. That last incident was a misunderstanding. Though things did not work out with the lady involved, sadly.

I nuked that thread as no one had responded yet.

https://t.co/gpBxJAoYD5
Password: SplinterItIntoAThousandPiecesAndScatterItIntoTheWinds

The most interesting part to me? Folks with clearances, you don't have to worry about endangering your clearances by checking it out. They decided the exploits were unclassified. Because you can't use classified material on unclassified devices, nor send classified information over the internet. So, if you develop a super secret malware with tons of zero day exploits and stolen hardware signatures specifically designed use industrial programmable logic controllers to burn out gas centrifuges, it has to be unclassified if you want to use it on enemy PCs. Which means it's not a crime to copy or discuss it.

=D

It's not even copyright infringement.

If you're geeky, lot of interesting stuff. My favorite so far:

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_14588809.html
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/files/Equation_group_questions_and_answers.pdf

Good technical discussion critiquing NSA malware. Specifically, critiquing Kaspersky's critique of NSA malware.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 01:12:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure if the NSA wasn't still holding a pretty big grudge the quote button would work reliably.  =D =D

I had read your other thread, and I also was really entertained that the super secret exploits had to be unclass or they couldn't be used.  At least they went to annual Cross Domain Violation Training

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »
Same reason every alphabet agency has its own armed LE staff.  IMO, enlarge the USMS as legitimately needed for them to handle all the Federal SWAT and asset protection needs.  Lesser concerns to be handled by cooperation with local LE.
That would be a good thing.  Fewer bureacrats with the direct power to send in lethal force. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »
That would be a good thing.  Fewer bureacrats with the direct power to send in lethal force.

And all departments with the same RoE, and quite likely a strong tendency to tell a given department that not everything needs to be a SWAT raid; for most of their actions, just showing up with the local sheriff is all it takes.

Blakenzy

• friend
Vault 7: Wikileaks and CIA leaks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »
Hmm, so all encryption is compromised?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-07/wikileaks-hold-press-conference-vault-7-release-8am-eastern

Edit: Damn, seems like a duplicate. Merge or delete mods
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Jim147

• friends
Re: Vault 7: Wikileaks and CIA leaks
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 06:29:22 PM »
admit it you are just a spambot.   =D
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:08:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure if the NSA wasn't still holding a pretty big grudge the quote button would work reliably.  =D =D

You sir, win the internetz today !!!!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

eta by The NSA:  We'll make sure the quote button never works.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »
Hey, look over there: isn't that a black dark green helicopter with fast ropes hanging down?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »
The long mustache is against the wall.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 09:22:15 PM »
The long mustache is against the wall.

John is a chair.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »
Hey, look over there: isn't that a black dark green helicopter with fast ropes hanging down?

Nobody told me it was pick on Rev day, or I would have come up with some material.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 09:43:31 PM »
John is a chair.

The crow is black green.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
http://www.westernjournalism.com/limbaugh-wikileaks-revelation-cia-mimics-russian-hackers-changes-narrative/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=raisingred&utm_campaign=can&utm_content=2017-03-07

I heard this on another radio show today.  It seems part of the latest Wikileaks stuff mentions the CIA can do hacks and make it appear any country they want is to blame.  I pretty much assumed this could be done already.  Makes one want to revisit this Russian hacking stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 08:46:02 AM »
Isn't this the sort of *expletive deleted*it our betters promised the Patriot act and formation of Homeland would fix?  :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
I thought the "Patriot" Act was the one that instantly made every citizen a felon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »
I thought the "Patriot" Act was the one that instantly made every citizen a felon.

It all makes sense now.

It made it a felony to be a US patriot, hence the name.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 10:55:15 AM »
It all makes sense now.

It made it a felony to be a US patriot, hence the name.

Correct! They just streamlined the name. It started out as the Anti-Patriot Act.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 11:07:12 AM »
The CIA obviously used UMBRAGE to spoof the Russian hackers too well and released their own info to Wikileaks.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
John is a chair.

Sign it: your loving son, Queen Victoria.