Author Topic: Give them to us raw ... and wriggling  (Read 4738 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Give them to us raw ... and wriggling
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:09:15 AM »
I took part in the Oregon Rockfish Classic fishing tournament over the weekend.  It took place in Depoe Bay, Oregon.  68 nutters in kayaks fishing the open ocean for rockfish, ling cod and cabezon.  Single heaviest fish for each person was entered.  Prized paid out to the top 10.

I came in 5th with a 32", 11lb 7oz ling cod.  As a prize I got a new carbon fiber Werner Camano paddle.  I can hardly wait to do it again next year!

The winner had a 19lb and change ling cod.  Second place was about an 18lb cabezon.

Formerly sumpnz

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Give them to us raw ... and wriggling
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:46:51 AM »
About that sign behind you - do you folks really think you can keep the goose crap in one place?

Cute fish.  How mamy fish sticks can you get out of one?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »
Don't know about fish sticks but the big one yielded about 4-5# of skinless fillets.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
I got an email from a charter company a couple of weeks ago (1 week before the end of ling cod season in WA) that they were doing exceptionally well on the ling cod this year. Had I known earlier I would have been fishing instead of working.

Those are some nice fish.

bob

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
Nice fishies!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »
From the title of this thread (raw . . . and wriggling)  I figured I'd post this current story from here in the Austin, TX area.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/williamson/family-eats-H-E-B-salmon-covered-in-worms

(And some people wonder why I won't eat sushi . . .)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »
From the title of this thread (raw . . . and wriggling)  I figured I'd post this current story from here in the Austin, TX area.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/williamson/family-eats-H-E-B-salmon-covered-in-worms

(And some people wonder why I won't eat sushi . . .)

That was a line of Gollum's from the LOTR movies.
Formerly sumpnz

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:09 PM »
I see your wearing a drysuit, were you in the water trying to pick the best one? ;/
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:12:17 PM »
I see your wearing a drysuit, were you in the water trying to pick the best one? ;/

Not sure why the eyerolling.  The salt-water in the PNW is freaking cold.  Not Alaska cold, but cold enough that without immersion protection you'd lose a significant amount of the ability to operate your extremities in a couple minutes.  To the point that within 2-5 minutes (depending on actual water temperature and individual differences) you would not be capable of independantly climbing into a boat or hauling yourself back onto your kayak.

Getting dumped off a kayak in that water is likely lethal if you don't have anyone within earshot or radio range without a drysuit.  With a drysuit (and PFD) you at least have a chance of making contact with someone and getting rescued before hypothermia kills you.  The dry suit, with appropriate insulating layers underneath, increases survival time from 15 minutes to many hours.

And if you're going to mock, at least be able to tell the difference between a surface sports dry suit (e.g. the one I'm wearing) and a diving drysuit.  Strictly speaking, the one I'm wearing is a semi-dry suit because it has a neoprene neck gasket rather than latex (far more comfortable and good enough when lengthy submersion is not expected).
Formerly sumpnz

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 10:47:26 PM »
Not sure why the eyerolling.  The salt-water in the PNW is freaking cold.  Not Alaska cold, but cold enough that without immersion protection you'd lose a significant amount of the ability to operate your extremities in a couple minutes.  To the point that within 2-5 minutes (depending on actual water temperature and individual differences) you would not be capable of independantly climbing into a boat or hauling yourself back onto your kayak.

Getting dumped off a kayak in that water is likely lethal if you don't have anyone within earshot or radio range without a drysuit.  With a drysuit (and PFD) you at least have a chance of making contact with someone and getting rescued before hypothermia kills you.  The dry suit, with appropriate insulating layers underneath, increases survival time from 15 minutes to many hours.

And if you're going to mock, at least be able to tell the difference between a surface sports dry suit (e.g. the one I'm wearing) and a diving drysuit.  Strictly speaking, the one I'm wearing is a semi-dry suit because it has a neoprene neck gasket rather than latex (far more comfortable and good enough when lengthy submersion is not expected).

I'd my reply I was eluding to you being under water and picking the best fish.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:48 PM »
The internet once again, then, confuses intentions.  That said, I figured that's what you meant.  Until the roll-eyes emoticon. 
Formerly sumpnz

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Them lings are about as ugly a fish you'll ever catch, but they are great eating.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:55 PM »
nice fish!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:33 AM »
Them lings are about as ugly a fish you'll ever catch, but they are great eating.

My kids actually like ling cod better than halibut.  :O  Honestly though, I'm just glad that at 8 and 6 they like fish at all.

That said, the Maori Chiefs I remember catching in New Zealand make ling cod look pretty.

The day before the tournament I fished the same area.  Caught 3 underlings and 1 black rock fish.  Never did catch a cabezon out there.

nice fish!

If I can manage at some point to acquire an extra kayak I'll take you out fishing in them next time you're out this way.  Or find a place that'll rent us one for you to use, along with a dry suit.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 12:19:26 AM »
I am going to try for some burbot this winter. I used to catch them in Montana and prefer them over any fresh water fish. They are also known as fresh water cod and the poor man's lobster.

bob

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »
I'd love to try fishing for burbot (aka freshwater ling - though they aren't at all related to ling cod), but IIRC there's none on the wet side of the mountains.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 12:38:42 AM »
I got an email from a charter company a couple of weeks ago (1 week before the end of ling cod season in WA) that they were doing exceptionally well on the ling cod this year. Had I known earlier I would have been fishing instead of working.

Those are some nice fish.

bob

I should point out that ling cod closed on June 15 only in the Puget Sound.  If you're fishing out in the Pacific it's open until sometime in October (can't remember the exact date). 
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 12:43:25 AM »
I'd love to try fishing for burbot (aka freshwater ling - though they aren't at all related to ling cod), but IIRC there's none on the wet side of the mountains.

I will let you know when I am going, they have them in Lake Roosevelt, and I am sure other waters overs here. IIRC, they spawn sometime around Feb and move into shallow water.

When I worked, and lived, on the Rez in Montana the Indians would bring me the ones they caught. They wouldn't eat them, something to do with looking like an eel and not having scales (although they do have tiny scales). They were the best kind of fish, caught by someone else.  =D

bob
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:50:24 AM by BobR »

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 01:00:29 AM »
I will let you know when I am going, they have them in Lake Roosevelt, and I am sure other waters overs here. IIRC, they spawn sometime around Feb and move into shallow water.

When I worked, and lived, on the Rez in Montana the Indians would bring me the ones they caught. They wouldn't eat them, something to do with looking like an eel and not having scales (although they do have tiny scales). They were the best kind of fish, caught by someone else.  =D

bob

That would be fun!  Do you bank, boat, or ice fish for them? 
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 03:31:25 AM »
The type of fishing I do relies on the temps at the time, and how the winter has been. I have only ice fished for them in the past, but with the warmer winters, and lack of lake ice I may be forced to try bank fishing. If all else fails, I can rent a boat from the Air Force base for a weekend and try that. :)

bob