Author Topic: The Art Of Manliness  (Read 1560 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
The Art Of Manliness
« on: July 16, 2017, 03:18:28 AM »
http://www.artofmanliness.com/

Surprised that this website hasn't been brought up and thoroughly cussed and discussed at great lengths by this group.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

freakazoid

• friend
Re: The Art Of Manliness
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:48:10 AM »
Has it not been at all? It's a pretty good site. I'd like to get one of the books sometime.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:35:23 AM »
http://www.artofmanliness.com/

Surprised that this website hasn't been brought up and thoroughly cussed and discussed at great lengths by this group.

I follow them on Facebook.  They are pretty good overall, but there is still plenty of silliness and trying-too-hard to be "manly."  At least they haven't done an article on how to tie a man bun.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:06:31 AM »
I know we've discussed that site on here before.  Probably in relation to one of our shaving threads.

I enjoy it, but I sometimes feel like sites like that, and some folks, are trying too hard.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
They are pretty good overall, but there is still plenty of silliness and trying-too-hard to be "manly." 

This

I enjoy it, but I sometimes feel like sites like that, and some folks, are trying too hard.

and this.

Maybe because I see "being a man" as being more than a collection of skills you have or activities you engage in.  Wet shaving doesn't make me a man, nor does not knowing how to tie a bow tie make me less of one.

Chris

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »
This

and this.

Maybe because I see "being a man" as being more than a collection of skills you have or activities you engage in.  Wet shaving doesn't make me a man, nor does not knowing how to tie a bow tie make me less of one.

Chris

They talk more than just skills or activities.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
In general, I like The Art of Manliness. Sure, there's some hipster beardo lumberjack stuff there, but there are also some really good essays and tips. I can off the top of my head think of about 300 men I know that need to read "how to shake hands".

I've actually learned a lot about historical figures that I hadn't heard of before because of essays and links from their site.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 11:07:49 PM »
They talk more than just skills or activities.

Maybe.  I stopped reading their articles many years ago.

Chris

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
Hard to pick on a guy whose choice of firearms is a 2" Colt Python...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onuGvjbn0ck

Funny.  At 1:10, he talks about opening the solvent and taking in "that manly smell of Hoppe's #9."  Y'all love that smell, don't you?   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark