Author Topic: NH formally legalizes jury nullification  (Read 4427 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
NH formally legalizes jury nullification
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »
Good for New Hampshire. http://bit.ly/MZYkg1
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

stevelyn

• friend
Re: NH formally legalizes jury nullification
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:25:11 AM »
Apparently judges still have the option of whether or not they will fully inform juries of their duties.

Hopefully it made the news in NH and at least made people aware enough that they do more research.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »
Government officials around the country are very hostile to independent verdicts from juries and so employ several methods to exercise more control.  First, plea bargaining powers are used to get persons accused of crimes to “waive” their right to a jury trial.  Second, defense attorneys are typically instructed not to mention ‘jury nullification’  in the courtoom–lest the trial judge hold him/her in contempt and declare a mistrial.  Third, the court will tell the jurors that “their job” is to find the facts (for example, which witnesses do you believe?), but it is the “job of the court” to decide the law and the jury must accept the law as explained to them by the judge, whatever their own view of that law might be.  Prosecutors are so determined to drill this state-of-affairs into people’s heads that they actually arrested an elderly man who was distributing pamphlets outside a courthouse in New York City.  Needless to say, Jefferson and Adams would be utterly astounded by all this.

I encountered this when on jury duty a few years ago. I was one of a group of prospective jurors being interviewed for a civil injury case. Everything was proceeding smoothly until one of the attorneys (and I don't remember if it was the attorney for the plaintiff or for the defendant) asked if anyone would have a problem accepting a judge's instruction on what the law said.

Having long been familiar with the work of the Fully Informed Jurors Association and the concept of jury nullification, and since I was at the time under oath, I raised me hand and acknowledged that, yes, as a matter of fact I WOULD have a problem following a judge's instructions if I didn't agree with the judge's interpretation. This resulted in a considerable flurry of activity. First, BOTH attorneys joined forces in trying to tell me that I was wrong, that I HAD to follow a judge's instructions. When I mentioned to them that the first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court had ruled otherwise a couple of hundred years ago, they removed me to a separate room while they huddled.

Eventually, they brought in a judge and called me back into the courtroom (from which the other prospective jurors had been removed), and the judge repeated the same questions the attorneys had thrown at me. When I informed the judge that I knew of a case in which John Jay had specifically ruled that the jury is to act as the trier of both the facts and of the law, she told me I was wrong. The judge dismissed me from jury duty and told me I should study my legal history more.

So I went home and looked up the case, and then wrote to the judge with the citation and the exact quote. Unsurprisingly, after several years I still have not received an answer from her honor. However, I very much suspect that I will never again have to worry about being called for jury duty.

For those interested, the case was Georgia v. Brailsford, 1794. John Jay was at the time the Chief Justice. He ruled in that case that, "The jury has the right to judge both the law as well as the fact in controversy."

One hundred years later (1895), although they did NOT overrule or revoke Jay's position, the SCOTUS issued a decision that effectively neutered the right of jury nullification by ruling that, although the right existed, judges did not have to inform juries that the right existed. ( http://www.isil.org/resources/lit/history-jury-null.html )

So, kudos to New Hampshire for bringing us part way back to where we were more than 100 years ago ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
Having long been familiar with the work of the Fully Informed Jurors Association and the concept of jury nullification, and since I was at the time under oath, I raised me hand and acknowledged that, yes, as a matter of fact I WOULD have a problem following a judge's instructions if I didn't agree with the judge's interpretation.

Thou troublemaker. 

Something like that got me bounced from a jury once.

One hundred years later (1895), although they did NOT overrule or revoke Jay's position, the SCOTUS issued a decision that effectively neutered the right of jury nullification by ruling that, although the right existed, judges did not have to inform juries that the right existed.

In Illinois, jurors are informed exactly contrary to that right.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »
Gov't officials who use oaths & such to ferret out those who are informed about their rights & responsibilities as citizens in order to aggrandize power to themselves are traitors to their own oaths and the COTUS.  As such, they are not due the honor of honorable treatment.

To any questions such as Hawkmoon received, I just assume something to the effect of, "...in accordance to the Constitution of the United States and the state of <wherever_we_are>..." is implied and applicable to most any question regarding conduct of gov't officials. 

After all, wouldn't they say they are acting in accordance with the COTUS?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »
Gov't officials who use oaths & such to ferret out those who are informed about their rights & responsibilities as citizens in order to aggrandize power to themselves are traitors to their own oaths and the COTUS.  As such, they are not due the honor of honorable treatment.

Oh, I quite agree that the judge was due essentially no respect at all, other than the outward trappings of not laughing in her face. But I have my own honor to uphold -- the entire panel of prospective jurors were sworn in for the voir dire process, so I was under oath. While I didn't (and don't) respect a judge who doesn't know the law, I do respect myself and my oath.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:33:38 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »
Gov't officials who use oaths & such to ferret out those who are informed about their rights & responsibilities as citizens in order to aggrandize power to themselves are traitors to their own oaths and the COTUS.  As such, they are not due the honor of honorable treatment.

To any questions such as Hawkmoon received, I just assume something to the effect of, "...in accordance to the Constitution of the United States and the state of <wherever_we_are>..." is implied and applicable to most any question regarding conduct of gov't officials. 

After all, wouldn't they say they are acting in accordance with the COTUS?

You know, if the judges are going to act in such a deceitful and Constitutionally unfounded way, I would have little compunction about lying to a court.... that is, "pretending" I had no idea what in **** Jury Nullification was and that I would agree to decide the case in accord to the facts presented in court and not "worry about judging the law in question."
One "good turn" deserves "another."  >:D >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:41:22 AM »
This is a riot - the facts law distinction goes back beyond the founding period and was never changed. 

What chief justice ruled on this question, Hawkmoon????  I've seen the quotation by Justice Jay bandied around before, and it is laughable in its misuse.

This is like those groups that go around claiming wages aren't income.  They ought to be forced to pay for all the financial damage they cause to the gullible.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:49:50 AM »
In the event that I had to be tried I wouldn't mind being tried by a "jury of my peers". But I wouldn't get a jury of my peers. I would likely get a jury of ignorant, uniformed, slack jawed mouth breathers too stupid to get out of jury duty. The chance of enough upstanding, intelligent and informed citizens that see jury duty as one of the true civic duties it is being selected to fill a jury are so remotes as to be non-existent.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
as soon as I say my brother is a cop I never get to serve on a jury, its to bad too because I believe I would be good at it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »
FWIW the whole "Jury of your peers" thing comes from English law when there was nobility.  The idea being that peasants couldn't sit in judgment on the nobility.  The nobility had much the same opinion as RKL, and refused to submit themselves to such treatment.

In American Law it's specifically "an impartial jury" as the founders wanted to get away from the whole idea of nobility and peers.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
. . .  Everything was proceeding smoothly until one of the attorneys (and I don't remember if it was the attorney for the plaintiff or for the defendant) asked if anyone would have a problem accepting a judge's instruction on what the law said.

Having long been familiar with the work of the Fully Informed Jurors Association and the concept of jury nullification, and since I was at the time under oath, I raised me hand and acknowledged that, yes, as a matter of fact I WOULD have a problem following a judge's instructions if I didn't agree with the judge's interpretation.  . . .
At that time, I would have no problem in presuming that I could accept the judge's instruction, as I would make the assumption that what he said was likely to be correct. So I wouldn't raise my hand.

I've sat as a juror a few times - on minor cases, to be sure - and have not seen or heard a judge act or instruct jurors incorrectly, so if past experience is a guide, the judge is likely to know what he's doing.

Now, if, at some point later on, I found the judge's utterances to be incorrect, incomplete, or just plain preposterous, I would revise my opinion and jury behavior accordingly based on new information not previously available to me.

There's no dishonesty involved in revising one's opinion based on the availability of new facts.

(I suppose citing FIJA or quoting John Jay is a good way to get out of jury duty.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
This is a riot - the facts law distinction goes back beyond the founding period and was never changed. 

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1218815216.shtml
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner