Author Topic: good news  (Read 890 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
good news
« on: August 29, 2008, 06:01:21 AM »

Jury Acquits Ex-Marine in Iraqis' Deaths

Associated Press
Friday, August 29, 2008; Page A04

RIVERSIDE, Calif., Aug. 28 -- A former Marine accused of killing unarmed Iraqi detainees was acquitted of voluntary manslaughter Thursday in a first-of-its-kind federal trial.

The jury took six hours to find Jose Luis Nazario Jr. not guilty of charges that he killed or caused others to kill four unarmed detainees Nov. 9, 2004, in Fallujah, Iraq, during some of the fiercest fighting of the war.

The verdict left the 28-year-old defendant in tears. His mother, family members and friends cried so loudly that the judge smacked his gavel in a call for order.

This marks the first time a civilian jury has determined whether the alleged actions of a former military service member in combat violated the laws of war.

The jury forewoman, Ingrid Wicken, said the panel acquitted Nazario because there was not enough evidence against him.

"I think you don't know what goes on in combat until you are in combat," she said.

Other former Marines testified during the five-day trial that they did not see Nazario kill the detainees but heard the gunshots.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: good news
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 06:12:50 AM »
"I think you don't know what goes on in combat until you are in combat," she said.

Smart lady, kudos to her for seeing through this purely political show trial.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:13:54 AM »
The jury forewoman, Ingrid Wicken, said the panel acquitted Nazario because there was not enough evidence against him.

Which is NOT the same as saying he was innocent.

Other former Marines testified during the five-day trial that they did not see Nazario kill the detainees but heard the gunshots.

So we don't know WHO killed the detainees, but we didn't SEE this guy do it.

So, sure -- legally -- you have to let the guy go.  But detainees died, under gunfire, in our care.

Damn, that's ugly.
Zeke

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:25:18 AM »
Yes, but not as ugly as trying soldiers who'd already been tried under court martial and cleared.  A little thing called double-jeopardy.

acquitted of voluntary manslaughter Thursday in a first-of-its-kind federal trial.

But not the last, unless this is stopped, fast.

I don't condone the killings, not in the least, but this is a threat to our entire Constitutional system.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 04:08:08 PM »

Which is NOT the same as saying he was innocent.

So we don't know WHO killed the detainees, but we didn't SEE this guy do it.

So, sure -- legally -- you have to let the guy go.  But detainees died, under gunfire, in our care.

Damn, that's ugly.

so enlighten us?  what did this guy do?  who did he kill?whered is the evidence?  bodies?  the mystery radio call?
has anyone proven that detainess died in this instance? or is that jody thing surfacing again? 
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I